Robby's Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 04:54 AM
  # 441 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

No worries, HRB. I appreciate your sincerity.

It is often enough problematic when we desire to put into words for others what is also personal to ourselves. Things can become a bit off, and this is not always so easy to remedy when in the written form, like these posts, which is sometimes akin to writing in concrete, hahaha.

Conversational discussions are much more adaptive to working out common understandings, with f2f tells, voice inflections, emotional/mental attitudes, etc. all there in the open in real-time presence.

Writing has its own place of course, its just not always easy to find the exact meaning in a typed out thought when we are thinking deeply within ourselves.

Take it easy, HRB.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:28 PM
  # 442 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RobbyRobot View Post

Conversational discussions are much more adaptive to working out common understandings, with f2f tells, voice inflections, emotional/mental attitudes, etc. all there in the open in real-time presence.

Writing has its own place of course, its just not always easy to find the exact meaning in a typed out thought when we are thinking deeply within ourselves.
Hi Robby. I've liked your thread so far. Just wanted to start with that.

It is easier to have a disconnect in a forum than f2f, I think is true. I would say it's pretty common in real-time as well though, unfortunately.

Just as a quick recovery background on me as reference. I'm new here on SR. Been at this a bit though. A little more than a year or so. I don't do any particular philosophy/method myself. I'm familiar with the common ones on the surface at least, but wouldn't say I blend them or anything like that. I guess you might say I'm self directed recovery method.

Anyway, this thread was pretty far along, when I started, but I went back and read from the beginning. I'm not too fast a reader, so it took a few days. I'm not too fast at writing either, so didn't get around to joining the conversation yet. Figured I may as well though, so here's a post to start. I will probably post a better intro somewhere, but want to get my bearings straight first. Not sure if “Secular Connections” is where I'll be comfortable at or not at yet. I plan on reading ARVT discussion next. I think I'm through most of the other newer threads at this point.

As to your initial topic of blending AA and RR, it seems natural enough to me. If it works for you, I think that is validity enough. In my opinion anyway, anything someone tries and gives an honest effort on, will probably work in the end. It's not magic, just a bit of hard work. I guess I don't see an issue with mixing philosophies either. A lot of what is sometimes thought of in rigid or dogmatic terms was originally intended as a metaphor anyway. Even if it wasn't, I don't see an issue with adapting something to your own needs or thinking of things Allegorically.

It's late and I don't want to go back through the thread now, but I don't see any issue with the poster that identified as a Christian Atheist, either.

Take care, Todd
Old 04-18-2013, 01:37 PM
  # 443 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Hi Todd, thanks for your post.

Yeah, I'm all for adaptions of whatever too no problemo. I'm a firm believer in people being at their best when they are themselves thru and thru no matter the particular circumstances in play of whatever external situations. I don't care much for political correctness, and I hope it shows I don't.

Not to stir the pot, but the Christian atheist comment was more an example of an impossible claim, a oxymoron statement, which was given as an example of how impossible it is for me, apparently, to practice AA and AVRT together. Although I can agree being a Christian atheist is an impossibility, practicing AA and AVRT together is totally possible and doable. It's not for everyone, and it doesn't have to be either.

An interesting thread. I've learned new insights into myself, and into some others from this thread. Valuable insights. I'm actually surprised I became reactively hurt and defensive, I had thought myself immune to others rants. I am better for it, learning my lesson, then having not had this thread.

I will continue to measure my success on my appreciation of the ashes of my failures. I understand failure. Failure is no enemy of mine. Struggle and conflict are not automatically experiences I attempt to avoid either.

With failure/success comes ego. I have a well seasoned ego. Gratitude and humility moderate my ego, at least I believe my ego is being moderated, lol. I have earned my ego, and I often feel like one of the luckiest guys notwithstanding my lifetime of personal challenges.

Sobriety for me is a part of my life, and not my life itself. I quit drinking so as not to die drunk. Period. I now maintain a spiritual sobriety so as to take real advantage of my past experiences with alcoholism. I have chosen to embrace my alcoholism. I could choose otherwise, and make just as good as a case for myself too. I'm always surprised how some others tell me my choices are wrought with peril and misfortune.

I intimately remember my years of drunkenness. To think that the guy typing out these words is the same guy who drank is seriously almost unthinkable. Almost.

I've come along way. We all have, haven't we?