Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Secular Recovery > Secular Connections
Reload this Page >

Should quitting alcohol be so different from quitting smoking?

Should quitting alcohol be so different from quitting smoking?

Old 01-26-2013, 11:12 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by applecake View Post
I love it, itchy and soberlicious! Thanks for hanging around SR and giving back. I would have never learned so much if it weren't for people like you sharing your experiences and wisdom, and I'm in a much better place for it.

Exactly! That empowerment I've gained from quitting the booze with the help of the gang on this thread has enabled me to also kick my nasty diet soda/artificial sweetener habit. It may not be as insidious an addiction as smoking or alcohol, but it was definitely causing me some major health problems.
You QUIT diet soda??? That's a step too far for me right now !
Old 01-27-2013, 03:14 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

I've never had an issue with soda, it's the flavored coffee creamer. I'm moderating all sugar and sodium, per doctor's advice....it is in everything.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:40 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

It's funny. Despite my fear that sobriety would lead to a dull life where I couldn't go out and enjoy myself, it was actually watching my sodium, sugar, and fat intake that really restricted me, as those three seem to make up the majority of every restaurant's menu!
Old 01-27-2013, 06:29 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MrTumble View Post
You QUIT diet soda??? That's a step too far for me right now !
Six months ago, it was a step too far for me, too! But, I'm really glad I did it. And I'm really glad I didn't fight it until I had the other drinking problem under control, and I was really ready to quit. I knew my diet soda consumption was not normal, and I thought it was probably largely to blame for migraines requiring maintenance medication. It also seemed to encourage drinking thoughts, since I often used it as a mixer. Not only am I feeling much better physically, my spirit feels a lot better, too.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:30 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
and it's a simple effective method....just don't drink...that is all there is to it for me also.

it's a beverage, rather nasty tasting at this point.....i took a sip of what used to be my favorite white wine this past summer and it reminded me of the nail salon smells. icky, no thanks.

it's not really spiritual, i'm not a different person in my life (except i have more $$, am thinner, healthier physiclly and have brain cells that work).
And not letting alcohol control your life?

Seems so easy when you put it that way. "Just dont drink" Have you told other alocholics this? Seems like a legit way to assist those who want to take back control of their lives.

Who needs forums, AA, AVRT, Smart etc when all you have to do is "not drink"

Words of wisdom
Old 01-29-2013, 11:18 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by BillyWeaver
Well, the reality of it is, if you want to quit drinking, you must stop putting alcohol in your body. To be honest, it can be as complicated as you want it to be, or as simple.

Lots of people just stop. This has been true for as long as people have been stomping grapes.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:31 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BillyWeaver View Post
And not letting alcohol control your life?

Seems so easy when you put it that way. "Just dont drink" Have you told other alocholics this? Seems like a legit way to assist those who want to take back control of their lives.

Words of wisdom
it took me a long time to get myself to this point, but I'm stubborn...i try to use logic...drinking makes me ill, both physically and mentally. I am not a masochist (sp). i do not enjoy being sick and stupid...i have a wonderful life, family and i do not wish to destroy it...all I gotta do to keep this thought....don't pour booze down my throat any more than I would pour clorox down my throat.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:50 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

The first week or two for me was indeed a little shakey, but as soberlicious says, it can be difficult to stay sober, or it can be easy. The paradigm shifted 180 when I understood that the whole deal was up to me - easy or difficult, succeed or fail, it was all my call. I put those doubts aside, and decided I would quit whether it was going to be easy or difficult, and that I would succeed no matter what.

If you ask me if it was difficult or not, I don't really have an answer for you, I just did it.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:09 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by BillyWeaver
Have you told other alocholics this? Seems like a legit way to assist those who want to take back control of their lives.
Actually I think a cut to the chase approach would benefit many. Sometimes less talk and more action is in order. Even though I'm not a program person, that's why I like "old timers". They say it like it is. Quit drinking.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:33 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
Actually I think a cut to the chase approach would benefit many. Sometimes less talk and more action is in order. Even though I'm not a program person, that's why I like "old timers". They say it like it is. Quit drinking.
Except you have over two thousand posts,which many include long ( informative ) advice, opinions, discussions etc. I " get" the no B.S. process to quitting alcohol, all I am saying is " quit drinking" is not sound advice when not followed by some sort of explanation, advice etc. Judging by your post history I would assume you agree
Old 01-29-2013, 12:47 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

I refuse to let a liquid control my life, (just like the 2.5 packs of cigarettes i smoked everyday)..I have to put the booze at the bottom of priorities...it's very much a give/take situation for me....i.e;

I can have booze tonight.....but I can't drive, go out, or talk to people because they will know i'm a stupid drunken idiot.... what would I rather have? the booze or the freedom and company of others...

I can have booze tonight...and wake up wondering what i said and did, with a splitting headache and my mouth feeling like i was in the catbox...or wake up and feel well and enjoy coffee and breakfast, be on time for work.

if i don't simplify it I will make myself overwhelmed and anxious.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:38 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Hi BillyWeaver.

There are a lot of informative posts on this forum that you can read to understand better.

You can search any member's posts to find out more, you can start a thread here and ask specific questions on others experience, you can read the threads already available here.

I will never drink again and I will never change my mind. Once the alcohol is out of the way, for good, then one can proceed to use other aids to help with any circumstances they feel need to be addressed. For instance, I am seeing a therapist, have my doctor on board, pm posters here if I have questions about something particular, RR, SR, etc. However, be clear, stripped of any of those, I will still never drink again.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:47 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by BillyWeaver View Post
Except you have over two thousand posts,which many include long ( informative ) advice, opinions, discussions etc. I " get" the no B.S. process to quitting alcohol, all I am saying is " quit drinking" is not sound advice when not followed by some sort of explanation, advice etc. Judging by your post history I would assume you agree
I have nearly 60 thousand posts LOL
Believe it or not Billy my advice still boils down to...

don't drink...be happy.

The journey is the thing here, not the destination - I could take you through day by day of my six years of recovery but we'd both be bored.

You me everyone - we need to find our own way IMO.

I'll happily explain more if I can, but if none of that resonates with you, then you might need a little more 'hands on' guidance approach than I'm equipped to give, and there's nothing wrong with that

D
Old 01-29-2013, 03:55 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I have nearly 60 thousand posts LOL
Believe it or not Billy my advice still boils down to...

don't drink...be happy.

The journey is the thing here, not the destination - I could take you through day by day of my six years of recovery but we'd both be bored.

You me everyone - we need to find our own way IMO.

I'll happily explain more if I can, but if none of that resonates with you, then you might need a little more 'hands on' guidance approach than I'm equipped to give, and there's nothing wrong with that

D
Thanks for your response. I have been around the forums awhile an always find your posts very helpful and benificial for those who have a desire to quit drinking. I'd say your 60,000 plus posts speak for themselves! And contrary to your statement, no I don't need a more " hands on " approach. My initially point remains the same. If everytime someone came onto these forums seeking help/advice and all we ever said was " don't drink" do you think that would be effective? You , soberlicious( who I'm growing fond of.. Always ha awesome input) always give advice etc.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:56 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

And sorry for the typos... Posting from m iPhone! :-/
Old 01-29-2013, 03:59 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Administrator

Cool.
I never suggested you do need a hands on approach, tho - that's not my call

D
Old 01-29-2013, 04:06 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Cool.

D
My apologies! I was reading fast as I was in my car waiting for my wife :-) I must have misunderstood.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:14 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Cool.

D
You suggested I might.... Correct? And I responded that I did not. :-)
Old 01-29-2013, 06:27 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Well yes, Billy, I do understand what you are saying, but I also do believe "quit drinking" is the bottom line. Any way one gets there...as long as they get there. Some get there by deciding not to put any more alcohol into their bodies...come hell or high water. Believe it or not, some people are very relieved to hear that others have successfully quit drinking by...you guessed it, quitting drinking. To hear that lets them know they can do it too.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:40 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
Well yes, Billy, I do understand what you are saying, but I also do believe "quit drinking" is the bottom line. Any way one gets there...as long as they get there. Some get there by deciding not to put any more alcohol into their bodies...come hell or high water. Believe it or not, some people are very relieved to hear that others have successfully quit drinking by...you guessed it, quitting drinking. To hear that lets them know they can do it too.

We are just arguing in circles now for no reason

I agree with your post though. We are just arguing sematics now.