i drank tonight

Old 01-31-2013, 04:28 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Ten years drinking and you manage to make it nearly 3 full months sober, that is amazing in my book. You should concentrate on that success and build on it. Really focus on that success and realise you can do it again, aim to get back to that stage and improve.

You can do it and the vast majority of people here are so fantastic and supportive they realy can help.

Best of luck
Old 01-31-2013, 05:24 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Never give up, the pain and shame will fade with time.

At SMART we try to identify and dispute harmful irrational beliefs. In my past relapses, the most destructive belief has been that after having one night of drinking, I needed to go on a full-on bender. And don't stress too much about the day/ month / year count. Yes sober time is the goal, but you don't lose that time you had or what you learned if you can pick back up.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:29 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Good to see you back, Cleopatra.

Stumbling is only a bad thing if you don't pick yourself back up. Nobody dances their way to the top of Everest. Even if it's two steps forward, one step back, it still adds up to forward progress.

I have some friends who are research engineers, people who are working on technology that's pushing the frontiers of science. They look at failure as proof of effort. You can't fail if you don't try. And if you don't fail at first, well, whatever you're attempting must not be very difficult. On the wall of their lab, I saw a quote about failure from the inventor Thomas Edison. I looked it up online later, and it turned out Edison had a lot to say on the subject:

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."

"I am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward."

"Nearly every man who develops an idea works at it up to the point where it looks impossible, and then gets discouraged. That's not the place to become discouraged."

"Many of life's failures are men who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."