SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Secular Connections (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/)
-   -   AV Girl (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/279762-av-girl.html)

Obladi 01-04-2013 05:23 AM

AV Girl

In fact, I was one of the kids (and the only girl!) in Mr O's 8th grade class that got to run the projector. He was a lazy man, used the same three or four films throughout the year to give us (himself) a break from classwork. But I did like being the one in charge of the AV.

Analogies are popping up all over these past sober days.

This morning's is the picture of my AV bouncing up and down in it's seat, excited at the prospect that it's Friday. "Hey, it's Friday! Let's have some fun!"

Come on now, it's 7am and It wants me to to get its drunk on?
Nu uh. I'M the one running the show here, and those movies are old and boring. Besides, I've got better things to do.

Rosieblue 01-04-2013 07:44 AM

Just learning my way around this sight :).

loving your analogy

think the secular approach is the one for me my av is also saying wine this weekend and I agree it's getting really boring hoping it will fade to black soon

BillyPilgrim 01-04-2013 07:50 AM

It does Rosieblue, when I read Obladis post I remembered that I used to get excited on a Friday because it was the start of the weekend and I could have a drink
Come to think of it I used to use the same excuse on a Thursday and a Wednesday as well, and I let the weekend seep into Monday and Tuesday whilst at it.
So glad that never comes any more

I still get the odd twinge, but I smelt wine on someones breath the other day, and thought that is not nice

ReadyAndAble 01-04-2013 08:24 AM

Ah, the excitement at the prospect of drinking. By the end, when drinking offered no actual relief, only shame and fear, I think the idea of drinking became the only real source of pleasure. Classic example of the AV conjuring an image of alcohol completely unrelated to the reality. I think that was the hardest thing to overcome—the myth of alcohol, the fantasy.

But the good news is that once I recognized it as poppycock, it completely lost its hold on me. :)

Last night on another forum, there was some discussion about one-day-at-a-time vs. quitting once and for all. A couple people can't quite wrap their heads around the idea that I can safely, comfortably, and confidently say I will never drink again. It occurs to me that one difference in our approaches is that I no longer believe addiction is stronger than me, or more cunning. I wouldn't say it's faded to black; I expect to hear it's voice from time to time, but it holds no sway. I've got it's number. Check and mate.

Great post, Obladi. Thanks for prompting me to reflect on all that. :)

Obladi 01-04-2013 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by ReadyAndAble (Post 3752707)
By the end, when drinking offered no actual relief, only shame and fear, I think the idea of drinking became the only real source of pleasure. Classic example of the AV conjuring an image of alcohol completely unrelated to the reality. I think that was the hardest thing to overcome—the myth of alcohol, the fantasy.

That's it, R&A. I got to the point sometime not so long ago where I realized that the drinking had become the goal rather than the effect of the drinking. This makes it much easier to separate AV from the girl.

And I agree with you that it may be one of the hardest things to overcome. However, I think that recognizing it is significant progress.

Obladi 01-04-2013 09:19 AM

Oh and Billy, no kidding me too.
That's what makes the AV so ridiculous.
What difference does it make that it's Friday if It wants to drink any day ending in y?

freshstart57 01-04-2013 04:48 PM

My AV's favorite day to drink, that ended in Y, was 'today'. Nice to see you here, Obladi.

Coldfusion 01-04-2013 06:09 PM

At my high school, the AV area was called "The Aviary." (That's a bird house.)

How about visualizing my AV as a bird?

You should see how fast my cat catches birds that don't fly away quickly enough...