SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Secular Connections (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/)
-   -   Battle Fatigue (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/273747-battle-fatigue.html)

JJK 11-12-2012 11:03 AM

wow. can i ask how long youve been practicing zen? is it something you got into when you got sober?

Windancer 11-12-2012 11:09 AM

Id like to know more about the Zen Circle too!

JJK 11-12-2012 11:14 AM

there is a zen center here in town of the soto tradition. the guy who runs it is under some lineage from japan. ive been holding myself back from going to check it out. i used to have a friend in recovery who practiced zen, but hed always bad mouth the place, so wed go to a different city to a tibetan meditation that wasnt really run by anyone, just the sangha would take turns leading it. maybe it was because i let my friend get into my head, but i also have a lot of problems with the town im in and always feel more comfertable in the city. ill eventually go to it though.

vinyl 11-12-2012 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by JJK (Post 3667246)
there is a zen center here in town of the soto tradition. the guy who runs it is under some lineage from japan. ive been holding myself back from going to check it out. i used to have a friend in recovery who practiced zen, but hed always bad mouth the place, so wed go to a different city to a tibetan meditation that wasnt really run by anyone, just the sangha would take turns leading it. maybe it was because i let my friend get into my head, but i also have a lot of problems with the town im in and always feel more comfertable in the city. ill eventually go to it though.

If you want to PM the center's name, I know a lot about the various lineages across the US and can probably give you a little insight into the teacher there. But if you dont want to share the name, I understand. :) Either way, find a community somewhere, anywhere.

vinyl 11-12-2012 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by JJK (Post 3667231)
wow. can i ask how long youve been practicing zen? is it something you got into when you got sober?

I've been practicing over 10 years, however I drank through most of it because I never took my practice very seriously. I was a "part-time" student of Zen Buddhism, which of course is not the right way to work hard at anything. The last 6 months I have began practice full time, working very hard with my teacher and through zazen. Only this last month have I made enough progress to be 100% sober. I'm only 34 days sober, so take everything I say with a grain of salt ;)

vinyl 11-12-2012 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Windancer (Post 3667238)
Id like to know more about the Zen Circle too!

Do you mean Zen center? If you would like to know where there is a zen center in your area, PM me and I will send you some options. There you can discuss the practice with a teacher, if you'd like. I'm just a student so I can only tell you about my own understanding and experience.

JJK 11-13-2012 08:33 AM

vinyl, i signed up for the online sangha over at treeleaf. that place is awsome and judo and the other dude are hilarious. i cant wait to sit with them via the live webcast this friday night from japan..

vinyl 11-13-2012 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by JJK (Post 3668640)
vinyl, i signed up for the online sangha over at treeleaf. that place is awsome and judo and the other dude are hilarious. i cant wait to sit with them via the live webcast this friday night from japan..

Great! I'm glad it worked out for you. It's a good temporary place for those who can't make it to a real zen center. Just remember it's not a substitute. Try to find a real sangha with real people when you can. Having humans next to you, sitting and breathing with you is a big part of this practice. Good luck!

JJK 11-13-2012 08:44 AM

i know, i know.. im just psyched that its there. and that ill have something to do friday nights for a while. thanks again, man..

vinyl 11-13-2012 09:12 AM

Yeah, Friday night jitters are a big deal and I totally get it. Stay strong, man. :)