SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Secular Connections (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/)
-   -   Rational Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/273083-rational-recovery.html)

evilk 11-02-2012 07:44 AM

Rational Recovery

I'm reading Rational Recovery and just starting out. I have yet to say I will never drink again, but I'm able to say I don't drink. I have lot's of contradictions going on in my head just saying that. Right now my husband is not drinking right along with me, but he doesn't admit that a beer will lead to a bottle. It's the panic involved. If you admit that, it means you can never drink again.

I'm just happy he's not drinking at this point. I think I have stronger will power to avoid that first drink, but I know black and white after the first, there are many more to follow. I'm still feeling last weekend's cliff jump and happy my mind is clear enough to say I want change.

This seemed to be where the "alternative folk" meet, so I thought I'd introduce myself. I don't really feel like I have all sorts of bad character flaws to correct or think I have a disease. I think drinking makes me want to drink more and makes me sick and make bad choices. I'd love to drink socially, I used to, but find I can't anymore. That's all I know for now.

nobshere 11-02-2012 07:54 AM

Hello evilk..I don't view myself as "alternative" lol. I too don't think I have a disease especially now that I don't drink. My drinking caused so much havoc in my life I needed to stop doing it. Not a loss at all. Welcome

MycoolFitz 11-02-2012 08:01 AM

I say watever really works for you go for it. I avoid human and animal sacrifice but I do work on many things. I think for me it basically comes from within.

evilk 11-02-2012 08:32 AM

So I just read your post, Fitz. I hope you're not thinking because I called myself alternative and my screen name is evilk, that I'm into devil worshiping or something and I don't sacrifice animals. I actually don't believe a devil exists, but my name came from what some old card playing friends used to call me for being competitive to a fault. I don't fit in any religion, but do subscribe to a lot of the Buddhists way of thinking. At least the positive part of me does. It's hard to explain. I'm a bit lost right now.

Nobshere~The alternative is more because AA is the accepted norm and it does not fit me. I see it as a dependency circle and I just don't need more of that. I know it works for some. It's just not my cup of joe.

nobshere 11-02-2012 08:36 AM

I understood what you were getting at evilk, you are not alone in fact you are the majority. The change you want is only possible by your own hands.

freshstart57 11-02-2012 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by evilk (Post 3652873)
I don't really feel like I have all sorts of bad character flaws to correct or think I have a disease. I think drinking makes me want to drink more and makes me sick and make bad choices. I'd love to drink socially, I used to, but find I can't anymore. That's all I know for now.

I think you know a considerable amount, EvilK, more than enough to proceed exactly and precisely as you are doing.

You are most welcome here, there is a lot of support for you on this forum. Please keep posting, OK? Best to you.

MycoolFitz 11-02-2012 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by evilk (Post 3652928)
So I just read your post, Fitz. I hope you're not thinking because I called myself alternative and my screen name is evilk, that I'm into devil worshiping or something and I don't sacrifice animals. I actually don't believe a devil exists, but my name came from what some old card playing friends used to call me for being competitive to a fault. I don't fit in any religion, but do subscribe to a lot of the Buddhists way of thinking. At least the positive part of me does. It's hard to explain. I'm a bit lost right now.

Nobshere~The alternative is more because AA is the accepted norm and it does not fit me. I see it as a dependency circle and I just don't need more of that. I know it works for some. It's just not my cup of joe.

No I never thought that at all. Just My senceless humor, I would nver put anyone one. I am not an AAer but I will do what it takes. Basic;;y believe in love love lovd

evilk 11-02-2012 01:24 PM

A Beatles quote with some spastic typing!

I didn't take anything weird, so no worries, really. Just making sure you weren't imagining some deranged bat biter here. My humor is a bit odd too. Even when I'm in strange spot attitude-wise. My husband used to call me a hippy chick...while that may be an extreme, I would like to get my Zen back. I had a pretty positive outlook that has gotten a lot darker. I'm just looking to be "me" again. The day I can peel potatoes and just think about peeling potatoes, I'll know I have this beat.

MycoolFitz 11-02-2012 01:25 PM

Sorry I have major learning disability I get over worked. Every word i write can be an effort. I am sorry

Dee74 11-02-2012 02:07 PM

some posts have been removed that had nothing to do with the OP.
see rule 4.

D