Just introducing myself...

Old 09-05-2012, 06:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just introducing myself...

I ordered Trimpey's book yesterday and am excited to have found this connection. Thx to Freshstart who directed me here! I have never even heard of AVRT until I joined SR. Was having a pretty rough day yesterday...doing the whole minute by minute thing. But I made it through. Happy to report I'm on day 2! Not quite the success story, I know...but an accomplishment for me. One I haven't managed to do in years.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
BRD

I'm one day ahead of you being in day 3. Made it up to 16 and slipped a couple of days ago.

One day at a time.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Jaz, BRD, welcome to the secular side of SR, and congratulations on your decision to choose sobriety. Take a look around the forum, there are some great long-running threads that make a great introduction to the ideas that form the basis of alternatives to 12 step programs.

These alternatives have one or two ideas in common. One is that you are all you need to get sober, you don't need steps or HPs or anything else. Maybe you need to look at things differently, maybe you need some life skills or other tools, but you are more than up to the challenge ahead of you. We all have it within ourselves to quit drinking.

The other idea that is shared among these secular sobriety techniques is that not only can you quit drinking, you can do it for good, for ever.

Ask some questions, make some comments, jump right in. There is a lot of support for you here.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard, jaz!

I quit just using SR originally; I eventually came across AVRT here as well, and found it to be a really helpful framework for viewing addiction. Glad you're looking into it, too.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Hey jaz...glad you're here

I have full faith in your capacity to recover...even when you do not.
Old 09-09-2012, 02:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone!

Finally got my book in the mail...looking forward to diving in. What I've found so far with AVRT, it seems it might me a good fit for me.

I'm proud to report, that with SR alone, this weekend was the first in years & years that I spent sober!! It certainly wasn't easy, but everytime I felt like I was going to fall apart, I jumped on here. With all of the encouragement & support I couldn't help but do my best not to give in. I'm on day 4...looking forward to report tomorrow on day 5 that I stayed sober all weekend! Thank you all!!
Old 09-09-2012, 02:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Glad to hear about your sober weekend, Jaz06. The first few weekends were a little surreal for me, sorta like a different planet with a different sun. I know there will be many more for you. A whole lifetime.
Originally Posted by jaz06
It seems like it might me a good fit for me.
Crank up that self confidence to max, jaz06. You can do it!