Blogs


Notices

Need a little info/ guidance with AVRT

Old 08-14-2012, 08:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,777
Blog Entries: 11
Need a little info/ guidance with AVRT

Hey everyone,
I was looking into AVRT and i think that this approach seems like a great option for my life. Where do I start?
Mizzuno is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mizzuno For This Useful Post:
freshstart57 (08-14-2012), ReadyAndAble (08-14-2012), RobbyRobot (08-15-2012)
Old 08-14-2012, 09:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 20
Rational Recovery

Google "Rational Recovery" and you will find evertyhing you need about the program. There is a free "crash course." I like it. Just started though.
pumpkin1 is offline  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pumpkin1 For This Useful Post:
freshstart57 (08-14-2012), Lenina (08-15-2012), Mizzuno (08-14-2012), ReadyAndAble (08-14-2012), RobbyRobot (08-15-2012)
Old 08-14-2012, 09:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
fgo
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: co
Posts: 329
hi mizzuno Ive been struggling with drinkin for decades. came to sr found avrt and havent had a drink in 22 days. Not really counting, but it is still new and the beast is still trying to find ways to get me to pick up. I know no matter what happens in my life I wont drink again. Not saying I dont have alot of work ahead of me, but i know i will get through it without drinking... i hope you find what works for you, stick with it.
fgo is offline  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fgo For This Useful Post:
freshstart57 (08-15-2012), Mizzuno (08-14-2012), ReadyAndAble (08-14-2012), RobbyRobot (08-15-2012)
Old 08-14-2012, 11:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered
 
freshstart57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Toronto Canada
Posts: 5,147
This is great news, you guys, I am glad to see you three making that stand right now. You will be able to share and support each other as only the newly sober can do. Please ask the other questions as they come up, and we will all be better for it. Cheers!
freshstart57 is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to freshstart57 For This Useful Post:
Mizzuno (08-15-2012), ReadyAndAble (08-14-2012), RobbyRobot (08-15-2012)
Old 08-15-2012, 05:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime
 
RobbyRobot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 5,827
Originally Posted by Mizzuno View Post
Hey everyone,
I was looking into AVRT and i think that this approach seems like a great option for my life. Where do I start?
Hi

You can start with knowing how your AV is recognised. Addictive Voice is whatever thoughts, feelings, actions lead you or could lead you back to drinking. Knowing your AV is the whole idea with AVRT.

Read the awesome AVRT threads started by TU. And other threads as well provide ideas and experiences. And the book RR:TNC by Jack Trimpey is excellent. Be prepared, Jack has no love for anything that promotes recovery process, since he believes AVRT is entirely sufficient. I like and respect the book, even though I'm not entirely in agreement with all his writings, or his suppositions and conclusions. What is more important is AVRT works, and works well.

How is your AV today? Do you know what a Big Plan is?
RobbyRobot is offline  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RobbyRobot For This Useful Post:
Dalek (08-18-2012), Fastenbulbus (09-16-2012), Lenina (08-15-2012), Mizzuno (08-15-2012)
Old 08-15-2012, 07:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,777
Blog Entries: 11
How is your AV today? Do you know what a Big Plan is?


@RobbyRobot Well, my AV is at times talking. For the most part there is not much of a voice for now. I think its because I really did myself in this last time when I drank. I have experienced after a good round of sobriety that my urge increases, that i forget, I allow myself to believe that I wasnt that bad.....then i am hitting the bottle like nobodys business, drinking more than I drank the last time.... Its so progressive. This is why I want to arm myself. I have been on this forum everyday. Reading, remembering....thinking. I will be taking the crash course tonight and looking up the info you suggested. As for a Big Plan? No, I havent a clue what this is. With out even knowing I want to say that my BIG PLAN is to NOT DRINK at all ever again. THat is my plan. I have 10 days worth of that plan so far.
Mizzuno is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Mizzuno For This Useful Post:
RobbyRobot (08-15-2012)
Old 08-15-2012, 08:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime
 
RobbyRobot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 5,827
Originally Posted by Mizzuno View Post
How is your AV today? Do you know what a Big Plan is?


@RobbyRobot Well, my AV is at times talking. For the most part there is not much of a voice for now. I think its because I really did myself in this last time when I drank. I have experienced after a good round of sobriety that my urge increases, that i forget, I allow myself to believe that I wasnt that bad.....then i am hitting the bottle like nobodys business, drinking more than I drank the last time.... Its so progressive. This is why I want to arm myself. I have been on this forum everyday. Reading, remembering....thinking. I will be taking the crash course tonight and looking up the info you suggested. As for a Big Plan? No, I havent a clue what this is. With out even knowing I want to say that my BIG PLAN is to NOT DRINK at all ever again. THat is my plan. I have 10 days worth of that plan so far.
Awesome, your own a good track, imo.

I would re-visit that the reason your AV is being quite is because you really did yourself in last time. Also, its not that you come back to believing you're not that bad, its more like at those times you dont seperate YOU from your AV (Beast)

Yeah, a Big Plan is all about now not ever drinking again, and never changing your mind. Full stop. Keep up with your reading, you'll soon enough clarify your understanding of a Big Plan.

Awesome your visiting the RR website.
RobbyRobot is offline  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RobbyRobot For This Useful Post:
Dalek (08-18-2012), freshstart57 (08-15-2012), Lenina (08-15-2012), Mizzuno (08-15-2012), Obladi (08-15-2012)
Old 08-15-2012, 08:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
fgo
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: co
Posts: 329
mizzuno,
Since i quit i have stayed close to sr. Not because i want to drink again, but i do think that is only the begining. My drinking has done some damage to my life that connecting with people on sr has helped with. Take advantage of all the areas on this site. Some of what I read in the friends threads help me the most, But i cringe while reading. For me everything was a reason or no reason to drink. only you can do this
fgo is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fgo For This Useful Post:
Mizzuno (08-15-2012), Obladi (08-15-2012), RobbyRobot (08-15-2012)
Old 08-15-2012, 08:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Member
 
Lenina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 8,326
Here a good place to start: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...iscussion.html

read through all the threads, very good stuff! It is very helpful for me!

Love from Lenina
Lenina is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lenina For This Useful Post:
Mizzuno (08-15-2012), RobbyRobot (08-15-2012)
Old 08-15-2012, 09:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,777
Blog Entries: 11
@robbyRobot
I will re-visit the thought of my quiet alcoholic voice. Ive noticed that in the past the voice is not present for a period of time and then It comes on full force (when I think of it as a voice). I never once thought to seperate myself from the voice. Ive never once thought of it as a voice. Its a whole new concept. Ive been doing this insanity for so many years. Thank you so much for the info and getting the questions rolling.
Mizzuno is offline  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mizzuno For This Useful Post:
freshstart57 (08-15-2012), Obladi (08-15-2012), pumpkin1 (08-19-2012), RobbyRobot (08-15-2012)
Old 08-15-2012, 10:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Clinton, MT
Posts: 256
I really like the concept of AVRT. I too have never considered it. I was clean for around 10 years but now have 8 days.
The old-timers in AA sometimes seem to indicate that AA is all you need. Mr. Trimpey seems to indicate that AVRT is all you need.
I hope to be able to pick whats best for me from both.
However, I also realize that my best thinking is what got me here. I need to stay open-minded to all. I'm pretty sure that my thinking at 8 days is not going to be the same days/months/years from now.
I guess what I'm saying is that I'm trying to not get cocky and make any black & white or absolute decisions right now. Not drinking between now and bedtime and recognizing my AV in its many forms today just might be enough for today.
We can do this guys. Have a great day.
BruceJ is offline  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BruceJ For This Useful Post:
Lenina (08-15-2012), pumpkin1 (08-19-2012), RobbyRobot (08-15-2012), seanie1888 (08-20-2012)
Old 08-15-2012, 10:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Member
 
Lenina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 8,326
Bruce,

In my experience, AA is a good program for getting sober and working on self improvement. The 12 Steps are like a business plan for a sober life.

for me, AVRT and Rational Recovery are about staying sober. Both are good programs and I use a bit of each to have a sober, content life. I had a lot of personal therapy to work out other issues I have.

Being able to identify the AV was probably much more helpful for me that trying to figure out a Higher Power. Im not good at explaining things, I'm afraid. Do read through the thread I posted from Secular Connections by Terminally Unique.

love from Lenina
Lenina is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lenina For This Useful Post:
Dalek (08-18-2012), Obladi (08-18-2012), RobbyRobot (08-15-2012)
Old 08-15-2012, 07:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered
 
freshstart57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Toronto Canada
Posts: 5,147
BruceJ, welcome to the secular side of SR, and congratulations on your decision to quit the alcohol.

I am glad that you are looking into AVRT, I think it can be a very powerful tool for sobriety. You mentioned an interest in recognizing your AV today, and I'd like to suggest that I can hear your AV in your post in places.

However, I also realize that my best thinking is what got me here.
I think you say this to mean that because you listened to your AV and started drinking again, that your thinking is poor and suspect. This is your AV filling you with doubt in your natural abilities to reason and make good choices-do not believe this for a minute. This is a classic example of AV and all too common in some circles. Your thinking also brought you back to SR and to this forum, so there's that.

I also think your AV is telling you that you can't make the decision,(it's really that it doesn't want you to make the decision) to quit drinking for good. But you can, you see, you can choose to make that black and white forever decision. The noise in your head when you think this thought is not you, it's your AV! Those thoughts that you can't succeed at this belong your AV. Bingo!

I truly mean this note to you in the most positive way, Bruce, and I hope that you can understand that I mean not the slightest criticism. It is a huge shift in thinking to go from AA to AVRT in some ways, and I was in AA too. I think the most significant change is the belief that you can quit, you are not helpless and powerless. I have complete faith in your ability to do this, and I wish you the best.
freshstart57 is offline  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to freshstart57 For This Useful Post:
BruceJ (08-15-2012), Dalek (08-18-2012), RobbyRobot (08-15-2012), topspin (08-20-2012)
Old 08-15-2012, 08:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Clinton, MT
Posts: 256
Yep.
It's quite a change in thinking. I sobered up originally in 93 through treatment and, of course, AA. Lots of old timers around back then that would pick apart the BB like scripture. I can't criticize that...it kept them sober.
I guess my AV has got me looking for some middle ground.
BruceJ is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BruceJ For This Useful Post:
freshstart57 (08-15-2012), RobbyRobot (08-15-2012)
Old 08-18-2012, 09:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Member
 
Dalek's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 309
Originally Posted by BruceJ View Post
I also realize that my best thinking is what got me here.
NO.

Your BEAST thinking got you here. Your best thinking will set you free.
Dalek is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Dalek For This Useful Post:
RobbyRobot (08-21-2012)
Old 08-18-2012, 09:44 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Life Goes On
 
Obladi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: East Coast
Posts: 5,212
Blog Entries: 9
Originally Posted by BruceJ View Post
The old-timers in AA sometimes seem to indicate that AA is all you need. Mr. Trimpey seems to indicate that AVRT is all you need.
In fact, the whole idea of AVRT is that YOU are all you need. I believe this to be the case. In the final analysis, we are each responsible for lifting the glass/bottle/can to our lips; therefore we are the only ones who can control whether we continue or stop.
Obladi is offline  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Obladi For This Useful Post:
Dalek (08-18-2012), freshstart57 (08-18-2012), ReadyAndAble (08-22-2012), RobbyRobot (08-21-2012)
Old 08-21-2012, 04:05 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime
 
RobbyRobot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 5,827
Originally Posted by Dalek View Post
NO.

Your BEAST thinking got you here. Your best thinking will set you free.
Absolutely the Right Stuff, Dalek. My best thinking has always led me to yet another gateway level of freedom. My Beast thinking, my alcoholic minded thinking, obviously, not so much, lol.
RobbyRobot is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to RobbyRobot For This Useful Post:
Dalek (08-21-2012)

Currently Active Users Viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:24 AM.