Discouraged...

Old 08-10-2012, 05:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Discouraged...

I've been trying to find some kind of secular face to face meetings in my area for a long time now, and keep coming up with nothing. Not that I don't appreciate online support such as these boards... they can be a lifesaver... but I'm just really really longing for some sort of structured group meeting sort of thing. Like AA but without the higher power stuff.

I've attempted AA a bunch of times, going to different meetings, trying to make it work for me. I actually really wanted it to, because I love the fact that those meetings are so readily available at any time of the day or night, no matter where you are. But I just wasn't feeling it. I know you hear people say all the time how athiests and agnostics always do AA, but it just didn't work for me. I can't pretend to believe in a higher power if I don't.

But yeah... I'm just so bummed that I can't find something that'll work for me. I feel like I could actually have a shot at this! It's silly... I live within an hour from Philadelphia... it's not like I'm in the middle of nowhere. You'd think there would be something for someone like me. Grrr...
Old 08-10-2012, 12:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Hey... I agree... Would be productive for me as well.

There are two ideas I have.

First there is a site Do something, Learn something, Share something, Change something - Meetup that you an start your own meeting. Maybe get together with like minded folks and study the materials. Not sure that untrained people should do that but certainly it can be a way to meet others in your area to have an open discussion.

Second...i attached a link to some smart meeting in PA. Not sure if they are close to you.

Smart meeting in pa

Hope you find what you need!
Old 08-10-2012, 12:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Old 08-11-2012, 12:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I know you hear people say all the time how athiests and agnostics always do AA, but it just didn't work for me. I can't pretend to believe in a higher power if I don't.
The idea that atheism or agnosticism exists due to laziness (just open your mind to the existence of God, and try extra really super hard this time) makes me nutz.
I feel like I could actually have a shot at this!
You have so much more than 'a shot' at sobriety. Build that belief that the power exists within you, and you are golden.
Old 08-11-2012, 04:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Originally Posted by ljames103 View Post
I've been trying to find some kind of secular face to face meetings in my area for a long time now, and keep coming up with nothing. Not that I don't appreciate online support such as these boards... they can be a lifesaver... but I'm just really really longing for some sort of structured group meeting sort of thing. Like AA but without the higher power stuff.

I've attempted AA a bunch of times, going to different meetings, trying to make it work for me. I actually really wanted it to, because I love the fact that those meetings are so readily available at any time of the day or night, no matter where you are. But I just wasn't feeling it. I know you hear people say all the time how athiests and agnostics always do AA, but it just didn't work for me. I can't pretend to believe in a higher power if I don't.

But yeah... I'm just so bummed that I can't find something that'll work for me. I feel like I could actually have a shot at this! It's silly... I live within an hour from Philadelphia... it's not like I'm in the middle of nowhere. You'd think there would be something for someone like me. Grrr...
It is frustrating, yes, but much better than "back in the day" when there was no secular support to be had at all! Talk about a bummer!

I should mention that I know a few people who go to AA meetings for the social support alone, while using a secular philosophy. That might be the ticket for you.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey, ljames, sorry you've been discouraged. You needn't be. There are lots of options. SMART's a good bet; I hear great stuff about it.

I'm just so bummed that I can't find something that'll work for me. I feel like I could actually have a shot at this!
Be careful of placing requirements on sobriety, conditions on recovery. Thoughts like that might be coming straight from that part of you that doesn't want to quit. My addiction told me I couldn't quit, not yet, wait until this or that happens... Years can slip by that way. I'm lucky my whole life didn't slip by. Turned out I had everything I needed all along. You can absolutely do this.