Hello

Old 08-07-2012, 09:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello

Hi, new here. I just found this site today. I am been a problem drinker for a very long time and day before yesterday did something really stupid and hit an all time low. Decided that was it, something had to be done. Came across the Rational Recovery site and decided that was the way I wanted to move forward on this.

Just wanted to say hello and also ask if there are other good RR resources or communities online.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I don't know much about RR but I think many folks here do.

Just wanted to say hello and welcome to SR.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Welcome. I work SMART Recovery myself. They have the same roots.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Hi, Avra, I am glad to see you here at SR, and looking for information about Rational Recovery. You can google the website of RR for more information, including a short course in the idea.

SR has a very long running thread, with something like 2500 posts, all about RR and AVRT. It is a great discussion that covers all sorts of ideas and topics. Part 5 of 5, is here and on this forum's front page. Feel free to post to it anytime. I would also suggest you look back to Part 1 and read through to the end.

Looking forward to seeing more of you around here!
Old 08-07-2012, 05:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Welcome to the Secular Side of SR Avra.

Along with RR there are other secular recovery resources that may interest you. Women for Sobriety, SOS, LifeRing, SMART, CBT, Urge Surfing, DBT and AVRT

Don't drink or drug no matter what!
Old 08-08-2012, 08:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the hello. I am glad to be here. And thanks for the info, I will definately take a look at those resources.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Avra, while the series of links I gave you is an exhaustive discussion about AVRT, PaperDolls suggested it might be exhausting too. Can I offer my take on AVRT?
Old 08-09-2012, 04:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks Freshstart, that was a great place to start, it made alot of sense to me. Doing lots of reading on here and thinking... The AV is very loud today, but I guess thats the expected chatter..

I smoked for years and I recall when I quit how I thought I was losing a friend, and that life wouldnt be as enjoyable. Well 7 years on nothing could be further from the truth. Quitting improved my life. So I guess I have had first hand experience with the addictive voice, and seen myself to the other side once. Now I will do it again.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wow, I like your attitude, Avra! You sound really confident -- as you should be. For me, confidence has become self-fulfilling.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Im back. I guess my confidence was too high. Been drinking the last month or so, and missing work again today because of it. Trying again, I have to. I have to do this for my family and for me.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Avra View Post
I guess my confidence was too high.
Ey yi yi! Whatever went wrong for you, Avra, that wasn't it. Confidence in your ability to stay sober and not act on your AV can't possibly induce you to drink. What really happened?
Old 09-20-2012, 10:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I listened to the beast. I let the addictive voice get a foot in the door.

It started with my birthday. I let it convince me that it was OK to have drinks since it was my birthday. And, once I had said OK to that, it was easy to give in the next time -when we went on holiday. Then, since I had done it on holiday, it really wasnt going to make a difference to do it again, and again...

I want to quit and I just need to make that decision firm once and for all. Problem is, I always feel that way and then the temptation gets the better of me.