Rational Recovery book or the Allen Carr book

Old 07-28-2012, 02:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Rational Recovery book or the Allen Carr book

Hello

I'm on day 27 and have read the RR book which makes total sense to me. I feel at peace and have vowed never to drink again and never change my mind.

I've heard a lot about the Allen Carr book on the Newcomers threads and just wondered would you recommend that I get it at this stage. My concern is that someone said you should keep drinking until you finish the Carr book,which isn't something I will do

Neither do I want something that is at odds with the RR book. However,if the Carr book will provide additional info,guidance and support then I will get it

Any advice and comments would be gratefully received

Many thanks
JHE
Old 07-28-2012, 05:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

JustHadEnough, Congratulations on your Big Plan, and welcome to sobriety.

Carr's book was mentioned so often that I got my own copy, and quickly read it. You can find info about it on the google if you like, before getting your own copy.

I didn't find it to be speaking through my AV in that it was not explicitly suggesting I ever drink, nor that I might drink again someday. In fact, it said there was no good reason to ever drink, and the reasons that we drank were fabrications and hogwash.

My concern is that someone said you should keep drinking until you finish the Carr book
If you are familiar with AVRT you will know that any suggestion of drinking is AV, and there be some right there.

Just scroll down a bit for a discussion of this topic - Allen Carr and AVRT.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Many thanks Fresh Start

your comments are very useful.I've just seen the thread you refer to so will have a look at that too

Thanks again
JHE
Old 07-28-2012, 11:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I read both and found both very helpful and still do at almost six months sober.

When I read the Allan Carr book I was sober about a month max; I obviously did not RESTART drinking. His suggestion to not quit till you finish is a technique he uses for those who are still drinking when they start reading. But the book works its magic just the same. It helped me A LOT.

RR also helps me A LOT. There are many ways addiction sneaks up on you. I found Carrs book helped squash any desire for it. As time wore on and desire returned I use RR to disengage it. The two ways are like the USA's congress and house of representatives. What gets past one technique would have to get voted in by the second one also. And I will not let that happen.

I also use concepts from other recovery methods, such as thanking GOD (the Universe, my higher self, whatever) for removing my desire to drink for the coming day, and thanking in advance for removing my shortcomings, and I name the particular ones that concern me at the time. I do this because I drank to avoid facing and changing myself, because thanking for what i want to happen in advance seems to help change me. The very act of it does.

I am happy you have found peace in your decision, and I wish you all the best.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

thanks eternal

I like your analogy about both books-will def order it this week.

Thanks for your kind words and support
Old 08-08-2012, 04:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Recovered with AVRT

Hi justhadenough,

I found AVRT almost six months ago. I think that there should be no need for other books since when we do the Big Plan it is final. We have all the tools we need.

Jack said to me that it is AV if I look for other forms of support since it means we aren't secure in our abstinence. Is there any doubt that you will never drink again? I know for sure I will NEVER drink again, and I mean it. Why would you need more? I'm popping in here now and then because I do like to let others know AVRT really works and not to get any support for myself. I'm doing great and I want others to be as lucky as I was to escape that hell.

Also I think it's best to keep things simple, mix too many sources together and you may end up backsliding. Go and speak with Jack on his site if you need more help.