A more active secular message board?

Old 07-25-2012, 04:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Shape-Shifting Super-Hero

A more active secular message board?

Hello, I was wondering if there are some more active secular based recovery boards out there. I like it here, but there does not seem to be much posting...I used to be on SMART, but had a falling out, and along with a lot of other people, they banned me forever.

So what do you suggest in terms of active boards, where there's a good volume of posting? I am afraid to post in the main sections here, as in the past, it just led to attacks on me, and me feeling worse, and it not helping my resolve at all...there a a lot of mean, pushy people, and I was/am fragile...so I wonder what places might have a more frequent back and forth.

I'm also still looking for secular based meetings here, but no luck...I feel like some real life support from others would be a huge help, at this point, but I can't do that one thing, I tried, and it was just not for me, those steps.

I dunno. I feel all alone in this. It's hard, and I'm slipping up, and have nobody really to talk to about it. Most everyone seems to talk about how long it has been, I don't see a lot of people still trying to get past the 1, 2 or 3 month marks, much, anywhere. Even those one meetings, 99% of the people had been there for years, you never saw a new face unless the court sent them, it was kinda creepy, that way.

I'm rambling. I'll stop.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

There is a crowd that has a regular 12 step meeting in the chat room. There are a half dozen or so other rooms that can be accessed through the main room, and in fact the other meeting is held in one of these sub rooms. So, there is lots of room for the self empowered contingent.

Is there any interest in something like that? Format tbd?
Old 07-25-2012, 07:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I have no idea but I do suggest you check out *****
they seem to be active with many various groups.

Hope you find something that allows you peace amd joy HP
Old 07-25-2012, 08:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Be the change you want to see, HP.

Start posting, mister. You got some responses before....

But yeah, these days it does seem there's just a few of us around, and most of us are over the hump in terms of recovery. What about joining the Class of July thread? My class thread didn't get into programs much—AA, AVRT, or otherwise. Just a bunch of nice folks at about the same stage, sharing and encouraging each other.

PS: I just realized that in other circles "HP" stands for something else, lol...
Old 07-25-2012, 08:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Shape-Shifting Super-Hero

Originally Posted by ReadyAndAble View Post
Be the change you want to see, HP.

Start posting, mister. You got some responses before....

But yeah, these days it does seem there's just a few of us around, and most of us are over the hump in terms of recovery. What about joining the Class of July thread? My class thread didn't get into programs much—AA, AVRT, or otherwise. Just a bunch of nice folks at about the same stage, sharing and encouraging each other.

PS: I just realized that in other circles "HP" stands for something else, lol...
OK, I will check that out.

And yes, people have joked about the initials! It is kind of ironic, being a hedonistic, atheistic pagan! Among other things.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HuskyPup View Post

And yes, people have joked about the initials! It is kind of ironic, being a hedonistic, atheistic pagan! Among other things.
That was my experience too HP ! Our April 2010 thread was so damn busy for about 18 months , but like all good things..........

We never had any contentiousness about methodology.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Not The Way way, Just the way

Have you ever considered removing "hedonistic" from your description of your being?
Old 07-26-2012, 06:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Well, TU did a lot to keep the secular forum active. But he's gone now, so I guess it's up to the rest of us. I'll start a newcomer's checkin thread and see what happens. It certainly can't hurt.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I dunno. I feel all alone in this.
You are not alone. No matter what method someone uses to get sober we're all after the same goal. It isn't an us vs. them thing. We are in this together.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Zee

I don't use any method for my recovery. Just SR. I just surf. Im athiest, so, obviously that makes me secular (?)

I stayed up for a meeting here (2am) I was told it wasn't AA based but was too tired to take in much and I left early!

I have no experience with AA. I have nothing against it but I just get very uncomfortable with the word God, HP and prayer. There is alot of that said with people in AA.

I'm up for any secular meetings here (as long as its at a reasonable time) !
Old 07-27-2012, 09:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I completely relate Zee, I've wanted to join a meeting but know that I'll be pretty useless at 2am.

Is there anything stopping us UK folk holding our own meeting at a convenient time or does there have to be a chat moderator available?

I'm yet to venture into chat so not even sure how it works!
Old 07-27-2012, 02:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

MyTimeNow and Zee, and the others from Over 'Ome, it's easy peasy to log in to chat. Just click on the link at the top of the page.

This takes you to a screen with a text window. It also has a list of chat subrooms, and a list of the folks currently logged in. Type in the text window and hit enter, and your text then is published to the screen which all logged in to that room can see.

To move to another chat room, for example Secular Discussion Room, simply click on that text, and *whooooosh*, there you go. It's helpful if you and your cohort make a date in advance and communicate it, say through PM. Or a post on this forum would work too, a general invitation to a discussion of our experiences or some such.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Zee

I quite often go into chat. If there is a meeting could someone PM me... ta!
Old 07-27-2012, 02:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Hexipuff

It would be great to set up a UK meeting. I'm up for it too. I'll keep an eye out for a post about it.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

So how's it going, HP?
Old 07-29-2012, 09:22 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by onlythetruth View Post
Well, TU did a lot to keep the secular forum active. But he's gone now, so I guess it's up to the rest of us. I'll start a newcomer's checkin thread and see what happens. It certainly can't hurt.
What happened to TU? I was wondering where he had gone.I only came back on SR a month ago been away since Feb and noticed TU has gone

I'd also be up for a UK meeting,if I can work out chat!
Old 07-29-2012, 10:37 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

I'm not sure exactly what happened. All I know is that TU is fine, but decided that it was time to move on.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:10 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by onlythetruth View Post
I'm not sure exactly what happened. All I know is that TU is fine, but decided that it was time to move on.
Thanks OTT.As long as he is ok,that's the main thing.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:34 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hello Huskypup, We're not alone, it true you can join the class of the month. I guess I might try joining the monthly group. I've done that before and a lot more goes on that way. I'm in a situation where I want feedback but I don't have time to spend hours in front of my computer. I'm still reading and rereading a bunch of old threads, but of course any comment I might want to make on those threads is no longer pertinent, and often some of the people I might have wanted to discuss things with are no longer around any more either. And I understand, as I disappear quite often too.
Hope you find what you're looking for, and that it takes you in the right direction. I'm really pleased I found all the info on AVRT. I bought and read the book. That's really where I want to go. See you around
Old 07-30-2012, 10:24 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

CaliforniaPoppy, that AVRT choice you have made will definitely generate some conversation when you post. I think the idea is fascinating and elegant because it is so simple.

Posting on an old thread is not a bad idea at all. Even if some of the original posters have moved on with the business of life (just like AVRT suggests will happen), there will be other folks that might be seeing that post for the first time. If it is of interest to you, it will be useful to others too.