Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Secular Recovery > Secular Connections
Reload this Page >

Addictive Voice Recognition Technique (AVRT) Discussion — Part 5

Addictive Voice Recognition Technique (AVRT) Discussion — Part 5

Old 01-04-2013, 03:37 PM
  # 241 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I had forgotten about Recovery Group Disorder, Received. That is priceless. Fortunately, there is hope for you. Stick around. Send me a pm, keep posting, keep reading. You can quit.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:57 AM
  # 242 (permalink)  
Not The Way way, Just the way

Originally Posted by Received View Post
Result:

"you are suffering from a recovery group disorder (RCD) which you may overcome by studying AVRT".

This has been one of the most challenging days of life in awhile. One thing after another slapping me in the face. IT was very apparent today.

I will never drink again and I will never change my mind.

So I have to overcome RCD.
Hi Received,

Nice to see you posting here at Secular Connections. Yes, RCD is quite real. I had it to a minor degree. I knew all along, though, that I didn't need meetings to stay stopped.

This is the right place for any questions on AVRT.

GT
Old 01-05-2013, 12:23 PM
  # 243 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GerandTwine View Post
Hi Received,

Nice to see you posting here at Secular Connections. Yes, RCD is quite real. I had it to a minor degree. I knew all along, though, that I didn't need meetings to stay stopped.

GT

It really is rather eye opening how spot on the quiz was now that I am aware of it.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:44 PM
  # 244 (permalink)  

Sitting at the computer goofing around. Suddenly realized how great I feel. So I say out loud (with smile on my face)

"I will never drink again and I will never change my mind"

Then IT butts in

"Let's celebrate"

ROFLMBO!!!

Old 01-06-2013, 02:25 AM
  # 245 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yep... so in order to follow the rules of this community, and to avoid post pulling or worse, lets keep the focus firmly off comparative discussions on other methods or perceived disorders.

Thanks

D
Old 01-06-2013, 02:59 AM
  # 246 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
RGD is a part of RR/AVRT. In that paradigm, it is necessary to look at group messages/group think. It's not meant to be disparaging, but out of context I can see how it could be taken that way.

So, yeah...
Old 01-06-2013, 03:06 AM
  # 247 (permalink)  
Administrator

RR members are here under the proviso they are subject to our SR rules and regs just like anyone else.

4. No Flaming: Posting of any content with the intention of disrupting the forum or inflaming members-be it on someone's person, religious beliefs, race, national background, sexual orientation, or recovery program. This includes flaming, flame baiting, registration of multiple accounts or impersonation of another member. Do not Harass, threaten, embarrass or cause distress or discomfort upon another Online Forum participant. This includes flaming on our forums or other public forums.

No posts that attack, insult, "flame", defame, or abuse members or non-members. Respect other members of the community and don’t belittle, make fun of, or insult another member or non-member. Decisions about health and recovery are highly personal, individual choices. "Flaming" and insults, however, will not be tolerated. Agree to disagree. This applies to both the forums and chat.

Ignore bothersome members. If there is someone on the forum that bothers you, select the Ignore option on the drop down menu under their name on the post. You won't see any posts from this member again.
anyone who wants to argue the point can PM admin.

you guys should get back to your thread

thanks
D
Old 01-06-2013, 03:30 AM
  # 248 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
LOL I wasn't arguing, I was agreeing...
Old 01-06-2013, 06:57 AM
  # 249 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Sitting at the computer goofing around. Suddenly realized how great I feel. So I say out loud (with smile on my face)

"I will never drink again and I will never change my mind"

Then IT butts in

"Let's celebrate"

ROFLMBO!!!

Awesome!
Welcome to SR!
Great to hear you can see the humour and paradox involved in early recovery. As a matter of fact, in later years of recovery, of being recovered, things get even more distinctly separated and personalised. Its all good!
Old 01-06-2013, 07:59 AM
  # 250 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RobbyRobot View Post
Awesome!
Welcome to SR!
Great to hear you can see the humour and paradox involved in early recovery. As a matter of fact, in later years of recovery, of being recovered, things get even more distinctly separated and personalised. Its all good!
Yeah, that one was so in my face it was impossible to miss. Maybe AV is trying to make bold statements thinking it will trick me into missing the subtle ones?

Feel free to dissect anything AV this or any of my posts that I am not picking up on.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:17 AM
  # 251 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Yeah, that one was so in my face it was impossible to miss. Maybe AV is trying to make bold statements thinking it will trick me into missing the subtle ones?

Feel free to dissect anything AV this or any of my posts that I am not picking up on.

Awesome.

My AV is not as smart as me, meaning my AV is pretty dumb, lol. For me to think my AV can possibly trick me is itself AV, okay?

My AV is more like words put together in scrapbook fashion - you know, cut n' pasted to form sentences and such. My Beast and its AV is more animal like in the ways and means in its attempts to appeal to me. It often was most successful using my own emotions against me then it ever was with subtle wordings. I have long ago recognised my weakness with emotional power struggles and so that particular surprise from my AV is no longer hidden or dangerous to me.

So, don't have an agreement within yourself, that somehow, even with a Big Plan in place, you can be somehow again compromised by the cleverness of your AV. Dumb that monster down, lol. Kick it down and out, hahaha.

Have a great afternoon.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:00 PM
  # 252 (permalink)  
Open Minded

Hi folks, thanks for the great informative thread, took me a while to get through it. I've been a member here for a while but stopped posting.

This AVRT promises freedom, at last!
Old 02-13-2013, 08:57 AM
  # 253 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Terminally Unique View Post

Functions of the Addictive Voice
Since many people have difficulty recognizing the various forms that the Addictive Voice can take, here is a more comprehensive list taken from "The Art of AVRT®" by Jack Trimpey. Remember the definitions.

Beast :
  1. The desire to get high, to drink or use drugs.
  2. Addictive desire. Often used synonymously with "Addictive Voice," but more accurately, the appetite or desire for substance-induced pleasure.
  3. Addictive Voice is to Beast as bark is to dog. (AV —> Beast = Bark —> Dog)
Addictive Voice (AV) :
  1. Any thinking or feeling that supports, or even suggests, your future use of alcohol or drugs.
  2. The voice of the Beast in your thoughts and perceptions.
  3. Your thinking, in words and images, which directs, supports, or suggests the possible future use of alcohol and other drugs.
  4. Your AV is the sole cause of your addiction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Art of AVRT®, Pages 124-125

Functions of the Addictive Voice
  1. Conceal its existence by using the pronoun, "I."
  2. Conceal addiction's primal, pleasure motive.
  3. Justify continued self-intoxication.
  4. Deny the moral dimension of self-intoxication.
  5. Minimize the bad effects of self-intoxication.
  6. Maximize, romanticize positive effects.
  7. Character assassination, global — self and others.
  8. Dignify use of the substance; absolve guilt, responsibility.
  9. Undermine confidence to abstain.
  10. Build socal tolerance for self-intoxication.
  11. Siege, wear you down.
  12. Identify opposition, narcs, moralists as enemies.
  13. Create a support network of other addicted people to act as a safe harbor, provide primary social needs, and to legitimize addiction.
  14. Guarantee perpetual supply of the substance and opportunities to use it.
  15. Manipulate all situations to serve itself.
  16. Organize all thoughts, values, and policies in its own interests.
  17. Emulation of human affairs, of human roles, of human attitudes, of mature human functioning.
Excerpted from "The Art of AVRT®" by Jack Trimpey
Copyright © 2010 by Jack Trimpey
All Rights Reserved

AVRT is just you, your self, your identity, your free will, and when you believe in AVRT, you believe in yourself, your self-direction, and your freedom. If you doubt AVRT, you are only doubting yourself. AVRT is not something that works on you, it is something that you do, by looking at your hands and realizing that only you, and not your body's desire for alcohol, have control of your muscles. If you really believe that you are powerless over your desire for alcohol, or beyond human aid, though, there is a program out there that might appeal to you more, and the people in it will be more than happy to welcome you. Their door is always open, and their hand is always there for the newcomer.

Some people need to try every type of program, treatment, and therapy in existence before they can grasp the simplicity of AVRT, and I am not here to convince you to quit drinking. Note that simple does not mean easy, however. I will just say that if you keep drinking, you will probably end up where you are headed, and you likely know the risks of doing so better than anyone else can. I hope that you make the wise choice, and that you become a miracle rather than waiting for one, but the choice is ultimately yours alone to make.

I think you'll find that if you can think of the Beast as a rational entity that you can observe, and a times even jerk around, instead of just a metaphor, AVRT will become a piece of cake. Besides, wanting addictive desire to just go away is like wanting to be neutered in order to stay out of trouble. Typical of addicted people, but for the most part, wishful thinking.

Awesome.
Timeless wisdom.
Bump.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:07 PM
  # 254 (permalink)  

Excellent piece of precis, may I say Robby! Very, very timely for me, to have the very 'heart' of AVRT all on one page - think I'll print it out (if this damn laptop stays alive long enough).

Very helpful too, that you've bumped this whole series back into the present, so it's easier to find for newcomers.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:42 PM
  # 255 (permalink)  

I read RR several years ago, thought it interesting and kept on drinking at a higher rate. At the time, I just did not care. My life was not a shambles and I enjoyed coming home from work every night and drinking till I passed out.

Last week, I finally had enough. I took this long weekend and did a home detox. I have been re-reading RR and spending lots of time on SR. I feel pretty good now and have made a Big Plan that I will never drink again and I will never change my mind.

Wow! Did I ever get a reaction from the AV in my head. It is still trying to undermine and I really am not sure what to do. AV tactics keep shifting:

"No one can see the future. How can you say never."
"You have tried and failed so many times before."
"You are going to be so bored"
"How about getting your doc to prescribe some Valium to take the edge off"

And on and on...

Does the AV voice ever shut up? I have made a commitment to never drink alcohol again but I am feeling like I am in a white knuckle state at this time. I have a real problem with AA and am not comfortable going that way but could use some support and counsel.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:08 PM
  # 256 (permalink)  

Boonie, I can relate! I made my BP over the weekend and got much the same response from my AV over the weekend. I'm only 7 days in and two days post BP so I can't answer your question but I did want to offer my empathy.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:23 PM
  # 257 (permalink)  

Yes, it's to be expected that your beast in going to really kick it up a notch after making your BP. This means it's death, so yeah...it's p*ssed off to say the least. AV blaring...look at it as a last ditch effort.

In answer to your question, Yes, the AV does eventually shut up. It's been a long time between me and alcohol and although I believe we never fully rid ourselves of desire, my beast knows her place. My beast is so shriveled any activity is really and truly negligible.

Continue on. You got this.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:53 PM
  # 258 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Your way forward starts with exactly what you are doing, BoonieCat - recognize the idea of drinking again, or of doubt in your ability to stay sober, for precisely what it is. It is your drive to get buzzed again, nothing more than that.

You understand that since you have chosen to quit drinking for good, that these thoughts come from that lower brain function associated with addiction. Because they originate there, they can be observed and recognized by our higher brain function, and we can bring to bear all sorts of cognitive skills like urge surfing, mindfulness and awareness of the present moment.

I agree with soberlicious - you got this. Nothing can make you drink now. Onward!
Old 02-19-2013, 05:54 AM
  # 259 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by Booniecat View Post
Wow! Did I ever get a reaction from the AV in my head. It is still trying to undermine and I really am not sure what to do. AV tactics keep shifting:

"No one can see the future. How can you say never."
"You have tried and failed so many times before."
"You are going to be so bored"
"How about getting your doc to prescribe some Valium to take the edge off"

And on and on...

Does the AV voice ever shut up?
Shutting up whatever AV was in my head was not something I wanted to do to quit drinking, speaking for myself. When I quit back in 1981, there was no AVRT until 1986, still though, I applied the general technique of separation of myself and my so-called alcoholic mind (ie my Beast/AV). This recognition of separation is an ideal awareness to re-experience again and again, and is in itself enough to keep alcohol free, with a BP in place. This does not speak to quality of life issues, which is something different altogether, is my experience. In July of 1981, I quit alcohol and claimed I would never ever drink again no matter what. I have accomplished what I started, and using other means and ways other then AVRT to address my life challenges, I went on to totally improve my quality of life since quitting drinking. AVRT was not required to improve my quality of life directly, although of course not being drunk was the essential and required beginning to creating the achievements of a quality life. There is more to life then simply quitting drinking.

People have been quitting alcohol addiction by self-recovery efforts for centuries already. Jack Trimpey has really eased the strain and confusion of quitting with his research and documentations of what he coined as AVRT. Amazing achievement!

AV is a normal experience. Nothing about it bothers me or causes me discomfort. It takes time and effort to reach this kind of indifference, and when reached, the rewards are obvious: freedom and peace of mind, no less.

So for me, in my early days, the more AV I could recognise, the happier I was going forward. I've no desire to not recognise my AV, and so I've no desire to shut it up either.

I hope this can bring you a sense of accomplishment when you next time recognise your AV. Perhaps learn more to let it go, and get on with your own purposes, is what I suggest rather then struggling with doing something about it. There is no requirement to do anything else after your AV is recognised -- just let it go. Eventually you won't care about it whatsoever, and yet you'll still recognise it without difficulty.

Welcome to the thread!
Old 02-19-2013, 06:09 AM
  # 260 (permalink)  

One thing I learned thru mindfulness is that I could learn to recognize irrational thoughts but that ability in no way stops them from occurring. What it does do is give me the ability to see them for what they are and not attach any significance to them. AVRT seems to work in much the same way.