Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Secular Recovery > Secular Connections
Reload this Page >

Addictive Voice Recognition Technique (AVRT) Discussion — Part 5

Addictive Voice Recognition Technique (AVRT) Discussion — Part 5

Old 11-21-2012, 01:54 PM
  # 221 (permalink)  

AVRT friends,
In the past couple of days I've read all the free stuff on RR and as I stated in an earlier post, I think I got it. Now the problem. I really love SR and have spent a lot of time reading and occasionally posting, but now when I read posts of people with recoveryism it makes me upset. I feel very strongly that the disease model is wrong and it is so clear in some peoples posts that this philosophy is harming them as much as the drugs/boose. WTF! I want to reply to their posts, but I certainly don't want to come off as a *****. Maybe I should just post that AVRT did it for me and leave it at that. SR helped so much I don't want to let it go, but it's depressing to just read other people's AV. Any thoughts?
Old 11-21-2012, 02:28 PM
  # 222 (permalink)  
Administrator

Forgive the intrusion, but:

Your skin will get a little thicker the more you hang around I think Arrdubya .

I'm not an AVRTer or an AAer (not even a SMARTie) but I've learned that other people will always have opinions I disagree with.

I find just simply sharing my experience is the best way for me to go these days...it saves what little hair I have left

Of course, you're welcome to make liberal use of our ignore function tho:

Ignore bothersome members. If there is someone on the forum that bothers you, select the Ignore option on the drop down menu under their name on the post. You won't see any posts from this member again.
D
Old 11-21-2012, 03:00 PM
  # 223 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

It certainly can be frustrating when the whole world doesn't just smarten up and see things the way I do, it would be a much better place if it did. Now that I have that off my chest...

It's a fine line we have to walk here, picking the threads to reply to, and always minding our posting rules. Be respectful, no arguments or ad hominem statements, share your own experience, and you can't go far wrong.

The collective voice could certainly use more of your personal approach, so let 'er rip, RW. Glad to hear that things are going so well for you. Congratulations.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:01 PM
  # 224 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Hi Arrdubya,
Maybe I should just post that AVRT did it for me and leave it at that.
Yes, probably a good idea unless they are posting here, in which case I think they would expect and welcome a rather forthright outlining of their AV, a virtual spotlight of sorts. I have pointed out AV in posts on other forums when I thought it would be beneficial, but be cautioned that when/if you do, expect their beasts to push back hard. Don't take it personally.
I don't consider myself an AVRTer and certainly not an AAer, although I have a good working knowledge of both. I consider myself "self-recovered" (which is basically what AVRT is all about). Once upon a time I did not believe that I could clearly identify AV in others, but a former member pointed some things out to me...and indeed, much to my chagrin, it often screams at me from the screen. IRL, I hear it face to face from a family member. No matter that I have given her the book....you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. I do understand how you feel. I have serious concerns regarding "recoveryism" and how I believe it is contributing to the current addiction pandemic. Continued dialogue is the only way I think.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:18 PM
  # 225 (permalink)  

Thanks D
Thanks soberlicious-I get a lot out of your posts. Search for the purple eye!
Old 11-22-2012, 08:51 AM
  # 226 (permalink)  
Not The Way way, Just the way

Originally Posted by BRD View Post
I'm fairly new to sobriety. I have been doing 12 step for about three months. In that time I have had two relapses ...[snip]...

RR and AVRT makes more sense to me than 12 step... [snip]...I am going to have some social engagements where alcohol is present but it will be around a lot of people who don't know that I recently sober. I'm wondering if anyone has tips on how to handle yourself in those situations.

As a person I tend to be quite introverted, alcohol for me was a real social lubricant in that it 'helped' me to interact with others.
When you say it "...'helped' me...", I think it would make more sense to qualify the "me" instead of the "helped" like this "...helped 'me'..." because it really wasn't YOU in your right mind that was engaging socially with others, it was an ALTERED STATE YOU.

In doing a cost/benefit analysis of future drinking, I found it useful to make the two lists - costs and benefits. On the list of benefits I put DEEP PLEASURE at the very top. Then listed all the rest of the benefits and realized they were bogus - such as - Drinking helps me tolerate all the unpleasantness all around me. I realized the bogus benefits were actually costs, so I put them over onto the costs list - Drinking increases all the unpleasantness all around me.

I was then left with a true cost/benefits analysis with lots of costs and only one benefit - DEEP PLEASURE. Reminding myself of this as often as possible helped me understand the nature of the Beast, the persistence of the Addictive Voice, and how I, the me in my right mind, could quite easily take the moral high ground and refuse to indulge in that pleasure ever again - even though it would mean killing off a deeply ingrained bank of memories and way of spending time.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:16 AM
  # 227 (permalink)  

*bump*
Old 12-17-2012, 12:11 PM
  # 228 (permalink)  

I started doing the Course in Miracles and found a lot of the same themes that are in Rational Recovery. I am also reading a book called the Power to Stop which follows a Course in Miracles principles, which basically tells you you are not your ego and you should strive to be your higher self.

I just read a part in the book in which she refers to the British nanny show and how she teaches parents to deal with tantrum my children. It reminded me of how in AVRTwe are supposed to ignore the beast, not hate it or be angry with it. Just notice it and ignore it.

Parents tend to give in to a nagging child (listening to the AVRT and giving into the craving). As a result the child keeps up the behavior whenever it wants something. The nanny teaches them to lay out their expectations (make a big plan) and then stick to it and not to yell back or give in. Eventually they will have a child that behaives.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:53 PM
  # 229 (permalink)  
OX

Hi every body! New to the forum and saying thanks for all the info.
I have quit drinking again. Last time I thought of my cravings as coming from the bugs or bacteria inside me and I quit easily. I then read these posts and realized it was like RR. I then read the book and felt so good I went back to drinking. Moderately... At first.

My dad died in November and my depression was too much so I'm back. I believe the RR tenant of quitting and moving on is best, but I'd like the comraderie for now. Just saying thanks.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:07 PM
  # 230 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

BigShoe, I get the idea about AVRT sobriety being an event rather than a process, but we are by nature social creatures. I have certainly benefited from the people I met here and my sobriety is better for it. Glad you found us.

Sorry to hear about your Dad. My condolences to you and your family.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:42 PM
  # 231 (permalink)  

glad you're back BigShoe.

Thrifty, the Beast does tantrum! And should be treated as a tantruming child. Acknowledge and move on. pay it no mind.

Love from Lenina
Old 12-19-2012, 08:54 AM
  # 232 (permalink)  

"RR the New Cure..." is a MANUAL.

Originally Posted by BigShoe View Post
Hi every body! New to the forum and saying thanks for all the info.
I have quit drinking again. Last time I thought of my cravings as coming from the bugs or bacteria inside me and I quit easily. I then read these posts and realized it was like RR. I then read the book and felt so good I went back to drinking. Moderately... At first.

My dad died in November and my depression was too much so I'm back. I believe the RR tenant of quitting and moving on is best, but I'd like the comraderie for now. Just saying thanks.
When I read the first paragraph I almost did a complete ROFLOL. That is really funny.

And then I read the second paragraph and realized how single minded and brutal the Beast will be to an ambivalent host.

I think you could clearly take advantage of re-reading the RR manual - "...The New Cure..." and let us know what you think of the "PHASES" and "ACTIONS".
Old 12-21-2012, 05:34 AM
  # 233 (permalink)  
OX

Hey GT. Thanks for the tip. I tossed my RR book when I moved cause I was back saucing it up. I went to the bookstore where I got it and they were out so I haven't been able to read up on what you told me. I'll get to it.

But my confidence is high. My resolve is solid. I will not drink. I will never change my mind.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:54 PM
  # 234 (permalink)  

Hi guys! I'm new to this part of the forum but not to SR and I know that this time has to be the last time I quit. I've just been cruising around on here reading tonight and came across this thread for the first time. Though I have a lot more reading to do I think I can understand how it makes a lot of sense. At first I thought AVRT couldn't work for me as one of main reasons I drink is not for pleasure but to stop anxiety over a phobia I have. Then I read some more about one poster's experience of identifying his AV and realised that it applied to the thoughts I was having perfectly.

In my head it went something along the lines of 'but there's no point in saying you'll give up for ever because what happens the next time you panic and can't cope and a drink's the only thing that'll help?'

And low and behold - have discovered the alcoholic voice!
Old 01-02-2013, 06:03 PM
  # 235 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Hi kam
bravo on the ID of the AV
There are also parts 1-4 of this thread. All great reading! enjoy...
Old 01-02-2013, 06:06 PM
  # 236 (permalink)  

Thanks :-) It's 2 in the morning here but because of all the awesome reading on here am finally feeling less ill from filthy withdrawals I've had for the last two days. The power of distraction! And SR to the rescue once again. Should have kept posting and reading last time around (or the time before that!)
Old 01-02-2013, 06:13 PM
  # 237 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kam00096
Should have kept posting and reading last time around (or the time before that!)
yeah...well...hindsight being 20/20 and all.
It's 2 am there and it's 9 pm here. But in reality the time is always "now". Can you dig it? LOL
Old 01-02-2013, 06:16 PM
  # 238 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
It's 2 am there and it's 9 pm here. But in reality the time is always "now". Can you dig it? LOL
Ha! Too much for my brain to process at this time of the morning... or night! Defi best sticking with 'now'!
Old 01-02-2013, 07:07 PM
  # 239 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kam00096 View Post

In my head it went something along the lines of 'but there's no point in saying you'll give up for ever because what happens the next time you panic and can't cope and a drink's the only thing that'll help?'

And low and behold - have discovered the alcoholic voice!
Right there you have three classic features of the AV.

Its demanding use of the second pronoun "you" in your thinking,

the use of superlatives "a drink's the only thing",

and, of course, the buffoonery that drinking "will help".

Other faces of IT
Old 01-04-2013, 02:52 PM
  # 240 (permalink)  

UGH! Took the Test Your AVRT IQ at RR.

Result:

"you are suffering from a recovery group disorder (RCD) which you may overcome by studying AVRT".

This has been one of the most challenging days of life in awhile. One thing after another slapping me in the face. IT was very apparent today.

I will never drink again and I will never change my mind.

So I have to overcome RCD.