Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Secular Recovery > Secular Connections
Reload this Page >

Addictive Voice Recognition Technique (AVRT) Discussion — Part 5

Addictive Voice Recognition Technique (AVRT) Discussion — Part 5

Old 09-11-2012, 05:37 PM
  # 181 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Lol, ReadyAndAble.
It's the twothousandies - you don't have to choose!
Old 09-11-2012, 07:00 PM
  # 182 (permalink)  

Is SMART similar?

Originally Posted by SDLY View Post
Ive read the AVRT introduction and flash cards , really cool , is Smart similar?
Except for not requiring a "Higher Power", no. They are based on very different, and largely incompatible paradigms. SMART Recovery is based on Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy (REBT), and AVRT violates almost all of the axioms of REBT. REBT is a disputational, reasoning approach, and AVRT is not. The Big Plan of AVRT is absolutistic, unreasoning, and autocratic. It is not necessarily rational, at least by REBT standards.

To the extent that it acknowledges it, REBT views the Addictive Voice as an irrational belief which can be disputed, whereas AVRT does not. In fact, the Beast of AVRT is actually a rational entity. AVRT considers the Addictive Voice a rational, intelligent expression of a valid biological drive. Through the lens of AVRT, the thought processes and behavior of addicted people are actually perfectly logical, predictable, and rational.

If I had to sum it up in a nutshell, SMART, through REBT, sees the AV as irrational, whereas RR, through AVRT, does not. So, there is a bit of a compatibility problem there, IMO.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:24 PM
  # 183 (permalink)  

AVRT vs REBT

I forgot another big difference. With REBT, there is no separation of the AV from self, as there is with AVRT. Much of this has been covered before, though, and there is a link on the subject at the very top of this thread.

Differences between SMART and RR —
Old 09-11-2012, 07:33 PM
  # 184 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Dalek, thank you for drawing the distinction.

I have been bothered for sometime about how I failed at one of those SMART excercises to dispute "irrational beliefs." Cuz with some of them, my question was, "ok, I see this is not a 'good' belief, but what makes it irrational?"

You lifted a little weight from my shoulder, seriously.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:07 PM
  # 185 (permalink)  

This is fascinating stuff, guys.

Originally Posted by Dalek
REBT views the Addictive Voice as an irrational belief which can be disputed, whereas AVRT does not. In fact, the Beast of AVRT is actually a rational entity. AVRT considers the Addictive Voice a rational, intelligent expression of a valid biological drive. Through the lens of AVRT, the thought processes and behavior of addicted people are actually perfectly logical, predictable, and rational.
Are they really worlds apart? It kind of reminds me of this:

Look at it one way, you see the ragged old woman. Look at it another, it's a glamorous young woman.

The Beast is a metaphor. It's a construct to aid in the identification of thoughts, right? These are my thoughts, those are the Beast's. Classification, with the aim to dismiss all thoughts that support future drinking. So doesn't REBT ultimately achieve the same end? It classifies thoughts into rational (don't drink) and irrational (have a drink), dismissing the irrational as being just that.

I personally like the Beast metaphor because it's a cleaner break, a distinct "me" vs. "it" separation. But when I first quit, before I heard of AVRT, it was more like "the real me" vs. "the addict me". That sounds closer to the REBT model to me. It was pretty easy for me to jump from one paradigm to another. They're different... but not that different, are they?

My thoughts are evolving on this by the minute. I've got a couple articles about this I need to read... I don't want to hijack this thread, though...
Old 09-11-2012, 11:14 PM
  # 186 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Obladi View Post
you don't have to choose!
Too late in all respects, lol... Way too set in my ways to experiment now! And as far as AVRT goes, there's no reason to switch now...

After all, I don't drink, so I am no longer in need of any approach to recovery.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:41 PM
  # 187 (permalink)  

Wow folks. Thanks for the incredible replies.

I spent yesterday doing research. Did the AVRT crash course twice (the second time was less abstract to me)

Im weirdly gratefull for my 12 stepping time. It did allow me to accept that my drink/drug problem was out of control. Just ran into a brick wall eventually. I think both these programs (SMART and AVRT) are fantastic. It is a little sad that AA/NA are the only options given to many people.

But if we search long and hard enough we will find them. All of a sudden addiction makes sense to me, and what I understand I can conquer.

I do not feel helpless/powerless at all. I felt extremely powerfull and confident going into meetings when I last started. And that started getting eroded away by the group "consciousness".

I have never felt as powerfull over my addiction as I do now. I look at what ive written and think this is 'crazy', how could I change so quickly... but why not? When a prospector finds a gold nugget, he finds it an instant. Much digging and preparation was done to reach that point, but once found. It is found.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:44 PM
  # 188 (permalink)  

and i love that this is debate based on science.... to quote that skinny wrestler from "Nacho libre":
I believe in science
Old 09-12-2012, 01:19 AM
  # 189 (permalink)  

Is "The Beast" a metaphor?

Originally Posted by ReadyAndAble View Post
The Beast is a metaphor. It's a construct to aid in the identification of thoughts, right?
No. The Beast is absolutely not a metaphor. It is the name that AVRT gives to addictive desire, or at least the perverted survival drive that generates addictive desire. We can all agree that addictive desire is very real, I presume?

The Beast of AVRT is no more a metaphor than "cat" is a metaphor for a furry carnivorous mammal with four legs and a tail with the ability to purr. It is simply the name given to a very real entity/phenomenon.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:32 AM
  # 190 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

I understand what both of you are saying, and based on my understanding, you are both correct.

Try this on: When we speak of The Beast, this is a construct that helps us to understand that while the addictive desire of the limbic system is a genuine part of us, it is a lower part of us. It is all animal and all about pleasure. Our higher selves have the ability and power to dominate and overrule our lower selves."

The Beast is a part of me, but I can control myself, despite it's desires.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:37 AM
  # 191 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

SDLY

Glad it's all making sense to you. Read the book - I think you'll love it.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:55 AM
  # 192 (permalink)  

Dalek, check it out:

The metaphorical Beast concept was introduced in The Small Book to help actively addicted persons transcend the chains of addiction and achieve no-higher-power (NHP) sobriety. Addictive Voice Recognition Technique® (AVRT®) is the discipline that very quickly evolved from its use in self-help groups and from my own clinical practice. In 1992, the Beast metaphor was presented in the context of what I call the structural model of addiction, referring to the origins of the Addictive Voice in the animal-like midbrain, and building a dichotomy based upon the functional differentiation of brain tissues. Subsequently, Rational Recovery has built a better theoretical mousetrap than the medical and psychological disease models.
That's from an article Trimpey wrote in The Journal of Rational Recovery (September - October, 1993)
Old 09-12-2012, 08:55 AM
  # 193 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

A name? A concept? A construct? A metaphor? To me, a metaphor is like a..., no, that's a simile.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:23 AM
  # 194 (permalink)  

Lol, a Beast by any name...
Old 09-13-2012, 05:33 AM
  # 195 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SDLY View Post
and i love that this is debate based on science...
Although the structural model is most likely scientifically sound in principle, and others have subsequently 'discovered' its main premise, AVRT is not really based on science. It is based on the experience of the self-recovered population and people that Trimpey has worked with. Trimpey has called AVRT a phenomenological method, meaning that it just copies reality.

Originally Posted by Jack Trimpey
AVRT is not based upon any science at all, nor is it part of any psychological theory...

AVRT is an art — a simple thinking skill with tools to help you arrange your mental affairs in a way that is very pleasing and satisfying to you and to others you care about...

Addiction recovery is a fight for survival, and AVRT is the art of all-out war applied to mental combat, based on ages-old wisdom and principles.

From The Art of AVRT (Pg 18)
Copyright © 2010 by Jack Trimpey
All Rights Reserved
Old 09-18-2012, 02:38 PM
  # 196 (permalink)  

I am new to AVRT & have gone through the website/crash course & read the threads here & had a question.

In regards to the beast, can it also be alcohol? Is that good or bad? While I was at a concert last night I found myself reacting to seeing alcohol all around me as glasses of the devils poison, this was the first time that I had thought like that I am wondering if it may be connected to my recent mental images of the beast (Urge to drink).

EDIT: I should add that my response wasnt in a terrifying or fearful was but more in a highly acute awareness of the poisones substance around me & to be aware. Like walking on a high cliff ledge or something of the like. END EDIT

Has anyone had any similar situations or use this as a technique?

BTW, the concert that I saw was Stone Temple Pilots & they were awesome & had a great time with friends who had a couple & I drove everyone home. All is good ;-)

Thanks for any insight into your recovery. Cheers ~ NB
Old 09-18-2012, 04:03 PM
  # 197 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

This is not like the question addressed by those searching for a higher power who are told that it can be anything. Nope, the Beast is one thing, one thing only and that goes for everybody who has an addiction. The addict is of two minds concerning consumption of the drug of choice - the rational mind that knows that the destructive behaviour must stop, and the addictive mind that simply wants to keep drinking. This addictive mind has been called the parasite, an interesting comparison, but in the AVRT context the addictive mind is The Beast.

The Beast is part of us, and will always be part of us, and therefore just needs to be accepted. Am I making sense?
Old 09-18-2012, 06:42 PM
  # 198 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Hi NewBeginnings,
No, the beast is not alcohol itself. Alcohol itself is neither good nor bad per se, nor is the desire for it. The desire is not yours, it's the beast's. The beast has but one goal and that goal will never ever change. No surprises there. The beast is nothing if not predictable. The heightened awareness you were feeling is because you kicked the beast's beehive. Hang tight. It'll calm down when it knows you're serious.

I'm suuuuper jealous btw. I would love to see STP live. I bet that was an amazing show. Damn.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:58 PM
  # 199 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
Hi NewBeginnings,
No, the beast is not alcohol itself. Alcohol itself is neither good nor bad per se, nor is the desire for it. The desire is not yours, it's the beast's. The beast has but one goal and that goal will never ever change. No surprises there. The beast is nothing if not predictable. The heightened awareness you were feeling is because you kicked the beast's beehive. Hang tight. It'll calm down when it knows you're serious.

I'm suuuuper jealous btw. I would love to see STP live. I bet that was an amazing show. Damn.
Thanks freshstart57 & Sober,

Nice to know that I was kicking ass... god knows I had enough to to think about a drink as the band showed up late (2 hours after the opening act), it was still a great show but they had to try hard after having a PO'd crowd. BLABBERMOUTH.NET - STONE TEMPLE PILOTS Guitarist Interviewed On 93.7 KCLB ROCKS! (Audio)

Still working on my AVRT & it is coming together nicely, thanks for all of your help & support
Old 09-20-2012, 08:22 PM
  # 200 (permalink)  

Yesterday when someone tried to pass me a drink my conviction in saying no scared them so much they almost dropped the beer "You really mean no don't you?" Yes ;-)

Its ok, they didn't know that I will never drink alcohol again