Landmark Education?

Old 04-24-2012, 08:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Landmark Education?

Just curious if anyone has gone through Landmark Education. While it does not directly address addiction issues, it does require (if you really want to get anything out of it) you to evaluate your life critically and honestly, determine what you want your life to be, then devise a plan of action to get you from where you are now to where you'd like to be. As I said earlier, it doesn't directly address addiction, but it forced me to put my life under a microscope and address the addiction issue, along with other areas of my life that had suffered because of my addiction (relationship with family, etc.), then develop a plan to get what I want out of life. Pretty profound considering that I walked into the first session (it takes place over three very, very long days and one evening) thinking, "Geez, when am I going to have time to sneak a drink," to seeing how booze was holding me back from what I could really be getting out of life.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes, I have done The Landmark Forum weekend. Very powerful and useful. It's similar to doing the 12 steps in a weekend. I remember reading someone saying that the Forum affected the same change in people in a weekend that it took him in 6 months of sponsoring people through the 12 steps.

They don't address powerlessness directly however I think the racket/strong suit distinction is pointing to the same thing. "You will always be racket (resentment) and strong suit ( personality/identifying with ego )." The distinction is to notice when you are that and then create a new way of being.

Where I'm stuck is where I think Landmark say you can create yourself and your life any way you want it to be, where as I don't want to be in charge of "creating" "my life" because there is only life creating and I want to get out of the way and let life guide me rather than me be in the driving seat. However I can see that this could just be a "story".
Old 12-29-2012, 05:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi I was discussing this with a friend recently because I'm looking for something to do that isn't AA. I have been sober since April 2012, but I'd like to take it a bit further into why I drank to excess. I've heard good and bad about Landmark. I'm not comfortable with slogans and quick fix seminars.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FeelingGreat View Post
Hi I was discussing this with a friend recently because I'm looking for something to do that isn't AA. I have been sober since April 2012, but I'd like to take it a bit further into why I drank to excess. I've heard good and bad about Landmark. I'm not comfortable with slogans and quick fix seminars.
Hi FeelingGreat, you can definitely explore that at a Landmark Forum weekend. In fact you are encouraged to bring whatever it is you want to look at. Landmark Forum is not a quick fix. It allows you to see what it is that is holding you back in life and then you can go forward in whatever way you want. They do not tell you what you should be doing with your life, that's up to you.

I would suggest going to an introductory event and then making up your own mind. Let us know how you get on.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Outside Agenda.

Landmark Education