SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Secular Connections (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/)
-   -   secular lingo.. (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/237294-secular-lingo.html)

JJK 09-25-2011 03:16 PM

secular lingo..

sparked by avrt and a few others over on the alcoholism board.. i was thinking itd be fun to put togather some secular slang (im bored)..

some have already been said, if not all..

sober = not drunk

recovery = life/living

relapse = "having a few drinks"

uhh.. i guess i just stole all of these..

its also important for me, being not only an aa survivor, but cancer surviver as well, to watch what im saying.. ill never use the term "remission", and i will stop somebody mid-sentance for using it in regards to myself.. just seems like that word means something like youll eventually "relapse".. which is why i wont use that word neither..

if you think this is cool or that im a dork and this sucks, add on anyway..

JJK 09-25-2011 03:17 PM

today im living life not drunk because i dont feel like having a few drinks..

gneiss 09-26-2011 04:35 AM

Thanks, JJK. Seems like occasionally we have a thread that asks what a particular word means or how we define it or what we call ourselves (alcoholic, alkie, drunk, and sober all come to mind as things we have discussed before). Also we have some great discussions about words borrowed from various programs. You're probably up for a decent discussion on some of these.

I also avoid words like relapse and remission, but not for the same reason. Those are disease words. I don't believe addiction is a disease, something we have no choice or control over. And the way people respond to addiction isn't how they respond to a disease. No one seems to mind when someone with cancer or MS or lupus has to miss a day at work. But when the office drunk is too drunk to come in no one says, "Man, what a terrible disease. I hope he feels better soon." It's pretty much the exact opposite.

Terminally Unique 09-26-2011 05:18 AM

Serenity:
An ever-elusive psychological buzz that escapeth all understanding.

jamdls 09-26-2011 07:36 AM

I'm with Gneiss, I don't think addiction is a disease and I've been known to get rather angry when others talk of it as a disease as that seems a cop-out to me putting the 'blame' elsewhere instead of on ourselves.

I now happily live my life as a non-drinker.

JJK 09-26-2011 12:45 PM

yeah, i just thought this would be an interesting thing to do.. i had one earlier but forgot :(

shockozulu 09-26-2011 12:59 PM

12 Step Programs are off topic for this forum and posts discussing 12 Step Programs will be removed. Please use the Secular 12 Step Forum for positive topics on Secular 12 Step Recovery.

Thanks!

JJK 09-26-2011 01:07 PM

how is this a twelve step topic? those "terms" are widley used and accepted all throughout the recovery field.. even by people who dont even attend any meeting.. way to be so sensitive, dude..

HuskyPup 09-26-2011 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Terminally Unique (Post 3116987)
Serenity:
An ever-elusive psychological buzz that escapeth all understanding.

Thanks for this post.

I recall reading once, somewhere, that we speak only when we cease to be peace with our thoughts, and given this, I have not seen a lot of serenity among the self-proclaimed serene. Indeed, this is an ambiguous term.

soberlicious 09-26-2011 04:25 PM

LOL love this! but, ok "notdrunkalicious" is not nearly as cool a name...hmmmm, or is it? guess you'd have to know how the name came about as to why I use it, but anyway...will be mulling this over.

LaFemme 09-26-2011 08:29 PM

I am a big believer in not limiting myself by using words to define me:)

If you ask...I will say I don't drink. If someone asks if that is because I'm an alcoholic (it happened once) I will sY I am not. The word is too loaded and not well defined.

JJK 09-27-2011 05:59 AM

at SMART last night, they were using the term "learning experience" instead of "relapsing".. i had to catch myself a few times..

JJK 09-27-2011 06:02 AM

I DID DROP THE A-BOMB!!! sorry shocks.. didnt even realize it.. was not my intention.. if i could go back and edit it, i would.. i am also from cook county.. whatup!

freshstart57 09-30-2011 06:20 AM

We can only assume that this thread made sense at some time if a post from JJK referred to The Program that Shall Not Be Named, and that this post was (correctly) deleted by Zulu.

kiki5711 09-30-2011 06:32 AM

12 Step Programs are off topic for this forum and posts discussing 12 Step Programs will be removed. Please use the Secular 12 Step Forum for positive topics on Secular 12 Step Recovery.
:react:gaah

is this for real or part of the funnies?

doorknob 09-30-2011 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by kiki5711 (Post 3121519)
:react:gaah

is this for real or part of the funnies?

For reals.

gneiss 09-30-2011 08:55 AM

Here's the Secular 12-Step Forum:

Secular 12 Step Recovery - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

DK! Glad to see you post. *hugs*

shockozulu 09-30-2011 10:46 AM

CBT = Cost/benefit analysis as in "Let me do a CBT and get back to you on that."

coffeenut 09-30-2011 08:42 PM

Hey, DK! Someone bumped one of your old posts, which got me to thinking about you.

You were one of the first people here to let me know there were many paths to sobriety. Good to see you again!