SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Secular Connections (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/)
-   -   Addictive Voice Recognition Technique (AVRT) Discussion (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/233901-addictive-voice-recognition-technique-avrt-discussion.html)

Terminally Unique 08-26-2011 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by onlythetruth (Post 3084195)
I never tried to quit before I actually quit, so I hadn't been through the recovery and relapse ringer or had a reason to think critically about different recovery pathways.

This is the service that Trimpey is providing in his book - the parts not strictly about AVRT that some people seem to find objectionable. He is providing informed consent to addiction treatment. Trimpey worked as a social worker for decades, and he has extensive first-hand knowledge of the addiction treatment industry. I too thought that he might be making things up at one point, until I actually saw many of the things he talks about firsthand.

Originally Posted by onlythetruth (Post 3084195)
I just showed up at a local rehab (picked out of the yellow pages!) and trusted the counselor they assigned to me, who was a long term AA member and who definitely tried to steer me away from RR.

People often do, making up all sorts of things about AVRT, the classics being that it is about moderation or willpower. I've heard countless variations over the years. My personal favorite is when people try to "pretend" to have read the book, particularly on Internet forums. They almost always blow their cover by citing only from blurbs or Trimpey's blog, though.

Terminally Unique 08-26-2011 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by ElvisInASkirt (Post 3084071)
Still to read RR all the way through. I just pick it up and read random sections from it.

You can probably put off or skip "Part III" of the book if it bores you stiff, since it deals mostly with issues pertaining to the treatment industry. There is one bit in Part III that is definitely worth reading, though. On pages 274-291, there is a lengthy transcript of a sample AVRT session under the heading "The Case of Richard."

soberlicious 08-26-2011 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by AVRT (Post 3083779)
The addiction treatment field, though highly profitable, is still largely unregulated. Furthermore, addicted people are highly vulnerable to manipulation, and they tend not to look very far for help. There are plenty of hucksters out there who will happily take advantage of this. This can be applied in all aspects of life, but my advice is to trust your instincts. If something doesn't make sense to you, don't attempt to believe it.

So true and so sad...I didn't even realize it was happening to me until I decided to listen to that sniggly feeling I was getting. I know the sniggly feeling well, precisely because of another aspect of my life. My son has autism and let me tell you...when parents are desperate they are vulnerable to all sorts of quackery and mind-f*%&ing in the form of fear...people or institutions that prey on the vulnerable disgust me (and I'm a pretty open minded person, but that one sticks in my craw) The same is true for people starting to seek out answers for their addiction. The only beef I have with AVRT is that Trimpey implies if not outright states that other ways are wrong and the alcoholic will inevitably fail . I get the logic, I follow his arguments, I even agree with many of them, but still it's his opinion stated as fact. I'm wondering if that could be as damaging as the other guys. Otherwise, he's pretty on the mark. yep...it's true...I don't drink. not ever.

I like this thread so much because it's bringing to light another way. AVRT, I appreciate the manner in which you have responded to my posts. I think you will be a good thing for fellow travelers...if nothing than to just get folks to think...and begin to trust themselves.

soberlicious 08-26-2011 03:20 PM

and I don't think AVRT is Trimpey in disguise. AVRT is far too measured, calm, and diplomatic in responses to be Trimpey LOL...

I'm sorry, I just had to...the moderator can remove if necessary

rreni4 08-26-2011 03:57 PM

This is totally off topic, but many of you seem to be regular posters here, so real quick. Do your private messages only stay in the inbox for one day? Thanks

Dee74 08-26-2011 03:59 PM

nope they stay there indefinitely until you delete them rreni :)

and while I'm here - can I remind everyone

Originally Posted by MorningGlory
I would like to add another suggestion to the original post.

7. This is not a place to discuss Jack Trimpey.

SR and Jack have a history. Can we stick to AVRT and teach the techniques without unnecessary discussions about Jack?

Thanks,
MG

ta,
D

rreni4 08-26-2011 04:16 PM

Thanks Dee, I swear I looked for them earlier today and they were gone, but now they are back!! Go figure...

Cerberus 08-26-2011 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by soberlicious (Post 3084715)
and I don't think AVRT is Trimpey in disguise. AVRT is far too measured, calm, and diplomatic in responses to be Trimpey LOL...

I'm sorry, I just had to...the moderator can remove if necessary

LOL, I know! that's why I realized it WASN'T him! kay now really, I'll stop if you stop :rotfxko

soberlicious 08-26-2011 06:58 PM

LOL ok I'll stop....I will follow the rules :)

I just find it difficult to wholly discuss an approach (any approach) without at least touching on the founder. My mentions of persons unmentionable have been solely based making a point about addicts and alcoholics learning to tease out what they need from a barrage of information without jumping on a bandwagon (a vital skill for me) but bandwagons are okay too sometimes. I get on 'em occasionally if they don't mess with my Qi ;)

'nuff said.

but I will say this again...I really love SR and this forum..awesomeness abounds here.

Terminally Unique 08-28-2011 06:44 AM

I was up very late last night on account of this hurricane Irene, didn't want the basement to flood. I don't know if it was because I was both tired and stressed, but out of nowhere, I thought "you know what would help take the edge off this waiting? A drink!" (I have alcohol in my house).

I should know better by now, but for a second there I started debating ("white knuckling"), and then I snapped out of it. I thought "No, a drink would help you take the edge off, but it's going to make me very anxious later." I could almost visualize the smarmy Beast scurrying away as if it were a cockroach running from the light, and I felt an almost instant calm.

Old habits die hard, I suppose, but they key is not to debate or argue with the thoughts. I wish there were a way to properly describe how this feels subjectively when applied, but I know I didn't "get it" at first myself. I'll just say that once you do, there is no "white knuckling" with AVRT.

See you next hurricane, Mr. Beast. Happy waiting - for you. :-)

soberlicious 08-28-2011 07:06 AM

=AVRT I wish there were a way to properly describe how this feels subjectively when applied, but I know I didn't "get it" at first myself.
I know what you mean...and as you know from my earlier posts, I used a form of this technique before I knew it was a technique. It is hard to put into words how well this can work. People often think I am making it up or somehow being dishonest when I say there is no struggle. There are certainly thoughts of escaping through drinking/using for me at times, but when I apply this strategy there is no struggle, no hanging on desperately until it passes. This sounds even wierder to people, but I almost feel sorry for my beast. It's a colossal idiot...LOL Kind of like Mr.T "Pity the fool..." Anyway...it can definitely work.

Sorry you are having to deal with Irene. I'm in Florida so I get the whole hurricane thing. Hope there has not been too much damage.

soberlicious 08-28-2011 07:08 AM

well I obviously haven't gotten this quoting thing down yet, wanted it to do the "originally posted by" thing...back to the technical board for me LOL

Terminally Unique 08-28-2011 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by soberlicious (Post 3086343)
It is hard to put into words how well this can work. People often think I am making it up or somehow being dishonest when I say there is no struggle. There are certainly thoughts of escaping through drinking/using for me at times, but when I apply this strategy there is no struggle, no hanging on desperately until it passes.

That's the beauty of it, but yes, some people assume that I must be constantly struggling to stay sober, hanging on for dear life and avoiding triggers as if they were landmines. Not so. If and when a thought of drinking comes, I dissociate from it, and there is calm. :-)

onlythetruth 08-28-2011 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by AVRT (Post 3086390)
That's the beauty of it, but yes, some people assume that I must be constantly struggling to stay sober, hanging on for dear life and avoiding triggers as if they were landmines. Not so. If and when a thought of drinking comes, I dissociate from it, and there is calm. :-)

Well, and there's also this notion out there that addiction is a lifelong struggle--that once you've been addicted the rest of your life must be continually devoted to fighting the battle. Often people don't believe me when I tell them that there is absolutely no struggle involved for me anymore--that there WAS, for a few years, but now all it takes is my self-identity as a non-drinker. (I jokingly tell people that I would no more drink alcohol than I would sleep with my ex-husband--both things that I used to do, but which hold no temptation for me anymore :yuck:)

soberlicious 08-28-2011 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by onlythetruth
Well, and there's also this notion out there that addiction is a lifelong struggle--that once you've been addicted the rest of your life must be continually devoted to fighting the battle.

This is true...that's why I think that people that hold that notion can't wrap their heads around AVRT or any other approach that doesn't align with that theory. As well, this method of self-recovery has worked for me in so many other areas where I tended to self-destruct/self-abuse (promiscuity,over-spending, misplaced anger). I'm wondering if it's just the inability to let go of that paradigm that's keeps people from looking at approaches like AVRT (or others) even when they have not had success. hmmmm...very curious indeed. great thread.

Terminally Unique 08-28-2011 09:29 AM

This is a semantics game, of course, but within the paradigm of AVRT, addictive desire does not belong to me, so from my perspective, "I" don't want to drink. That said, though, the desire itself does get weaker over time, and comes up less and less often, and might eventually disappear entirely. I'm not going to lose sleep over it either way, though.

Originally Posted by The Art of AVRT, Pgs. 79-80
Although "it" (my Beast) may strongly want to drink, "I" will neither drink/use, nor even want to drink/use because addictive desire is not me but the Beast.

Terminally Unique 08-28-2011 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by onlythetruth (Post 3086413)
Well, and there's also this notion out there that addiction is a lifelong struggle--that once you've been addicted the rest of your life must be continually devoted to fighting the battle. Often people don't believe me when I tell them that there is absolutely no struggle involved for me anymore--that there WAS, for a few years, but now all it takes is my self-identity as a non-drinker.

So, you mean to tell me that your Beast isn't doing push-ups and turning into a beef-cake, getting ready to kick your butt? You must have a lazy Beast... :-)

soberlicious 08-28-2011 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by AVRT
So, you mean to tell me that your Beast isn't doing push-ups and turning into a beef-cake, getting ready to kick your butt? :-)

LMAO...for me I actually gender identify my beast...she is a pathetic, whining, loser...pretty much the version of the old drinking me...but I see her as seperate from me. Don't know if this follows the "rules" of AVRT, but I'm not gonna lose sleep over it either ;)

aaah semantics..all fun and games until someone puts an eye out LOL

ElvisInASkirt 08-28-2011 09:46 AM

My beasty had been completely quiet up until last night when I accidentally ate a chocolate liquor candy.

Ever since then I can sense it grinning in the back of my mind. 'You've failed' it says. I know I haven't failed. I'm never drinking again.

Just a shock to the system I could have done without.

soberlicious 08-28-2011 10:01 AM

you have not failed...not even close...but I hear ya it sucks when stuff like that happens.