Do You Ever Feel?

Old 04-13-2011, 02:32 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I know part of the reason I am so active is because I live alone with no TV which is why I am on at night...I have a desk job which doesn't engage me which is why I am on at the daytime. When these factors are gone I will post less.

I hope I continue to post in the newcomers section occasionally because I do believe stories of success can help and it does not hurt me to spend a little time offering a hand to someone in need.

But like Murray this is the group I connect with and who I would be emotional should I meet. This is where I feel I can be my most authentic self.

Also, like Murray I feel that now at 9 months life is really unfolding in a really amazing way...I am profoundly grateful for this experience and for the people who I share it with
Old 04-13-2011, 02:35 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Good points in this thread.

I don't like to talk about my drinking. I see no point in opening up those scars. It's done and over. If I'm endlessly repeating the same drunkalog I just see no progress.

One day at a time didn't do it for me, I had to go for never ever again. Now I'm working on recovery to the best of my abilities and someday I will be recovered and then I can move on to other things. That is the way I have to look at it.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:55 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Ethanol Intolerant

This particular section is like home for me too. However, I am really cautious about thinking I have this beat. It is great to be getting some things back that I let addiction take away, but it I will be working on recovery everyday for the foreseeable future. SR is definitely part of my recovery right now.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:12 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LaFemme View Post
But like Murray this is the group I connect with and who I would be emotional should I meet. This is where I feel I can be my most authentic self.

Also, like Murray I feel that now at 9 months life is really unfolding in a really amazing way...I am profoundly grateful for this experience and for the people who I share it with
I wonder what would happen if someone here (not me!) arranged for an SR "sober cruise," or some other similar thing?

Out the window would go the anonymity, but it would certainly be interesting to see how many people would sign up...
Old 04-13-2011, 04:16 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Don't get me wrong, I rely upon the secular SR as well and check this page out several times a day. I'm just saying that it isn't a negative if an individual develops enough in their process that they no longer need support from a group. That is a good thing and when it happens we should rejoice for that individual for progressing in their recovery. That is what I see as a big difference between secular recovery like SMART and the non-secular recovery. One sees it as a process one should graduate from and move on with their life, the other requires a life long commitment to meetings. We have a moral duty to help others whenever we can, but ultimately the responsibility is with each individual. Nobody but is responsible for my recovery any more than I am responsible for somebody elses recovery.

That said, this board is an important part of my recovery, especially in the first couple of weeks and I will forever be grateful for everyone who offered encouragement in those first dark days.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:15 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Well said Anthony!

I also frequently feel hesitant to post in the Newby section....I worked my own program, one that was right for me but probably can't be replicated. I feel the most I can offer when someone asks can it be done without _ _...I say what worked for me and say that just because you don't follow a formal program doesn't mean you don't have to do the work. I actually think that a lot of people would do better in a program than making up there own like I did.

JB...book us a cruise ship...they will love us since we wont drink from the all you can drink free bar...see if you can get us a discount would you? I vote for a cruise from LA to Hawaii
Old 04-14-2011, 01:16 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Well said all! I think there has to come a time when we ALL move on, in maturity, whether we continue to post here or not! Love you all for the support I've gotten here!!
Old 04-14-2011, 09:59 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LaFemme View Post
Well said Anthony!

JB...book us a cruise ship...they will love us since we wont drink from the all you can drink free bar...see if you can get us a discount would you? I vote for a cruise from LA to Hawaii
LaFemme - what cruiseline offers free drinks? What a paradise that would be for drunks.

I've been on a cruise and drinks are NOT free, not even pop. All the food is free though 24 hours a day (unless you go to a restaurant on the ship instead of the dining room). The only time there was free booze was at the champagne welcome with the Captain. I discovered on that cruise that I really LOVE martini's. The rocking of the ship is a great disguise for drunk weaving down the hallways.

I just think of all the money I'd save now - I could do those spas and extras on the ship now!
Old 04-14-2011, 11:17 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

LOL...I have no idea, I've never been on a cruise, I just thought I'd heard that, must have gotten it confused with free food
Old 04-14-2011, 12:04 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Ethanol Intolerant

I'll probably pass on the cruise, although there are a double hand-full of people here that I would dearly love to sit down with and have a right good natter. Or as luckedog would say: "I'd hanker to confabulate with y'all in the flesh."
Old 04-15-2011, 04:17 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

A cruise sounds great! Unforunately it would most likely be a tad cost prohibitive for me, return airfare to LA from Sydney plus the cruise.........that said I'd love to meet you guys anyone wanna sponsor me? anyone? anyone?
Old 04-15-2011, 04:47 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Or we could come crash with you down under
Old 04-15-2011, 09:06 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Every time I see the name of this thread I hear those song lyrics

Do you ever feel
like a plastic bag
Drifting through the wind
Wanting to start again

Do you ever feel,
feel so paper thin
Like a house of cards
One blow from caving in

I often feel like that
Old 04-15-2011, 03:57 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Absolutely, you're all more than welcome I've only got one spare room so it might be a little cramped.........I do have a big tent tho lol
Old 04-15-2011, 06:19 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Hey Judy...I'm not familiar with that song but its very pretty but sad. Hugs.

It is a funny thread title. I always pause on it myself...dependent on my mood how I feel when I see it.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:52 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Sometimes I have felt very positive and confident in my sobriety and then I don't feel like spending too much time on here, because I feel like that would be "dwelling" on my problems rather than going out and dealing with life.

Sometimes I feel so confident that I even get a bit cocky about how easy sobriety is, maybe I even start to question if I was just imagining or exaggerating my alcohol problems. Then, BANG, it's there again, that incredibly strong desire to drink and the fear and anxiety. And then I remember that I actually need places like this, to see that others are dealing with the same thing, that I'm not alone in this situation.

I have found myself popping in and out of this place in the last years, and I can honestly say, sobriety would have ben a lot more difficult without the support I have found here. That being said, I don't always want to feel like I am a person with problems or like there is something "wrong" with me as opposed to "normal" people who don't have these issues. So then I just take a break until I feel like coming here again.

I have realized more and more that I will ALWAYS want to drink on some level, therefore I will always need to remind myself of the problems I once had.