Need the power of positive thinking

Old 03-31-2011, 01:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Cause no harm

Need the power of positive thinking

Somehow I've got to get the strength to get through this crisis and insure I do not fall back on alcohol. My daughter is at hospital with a serious health issue that could be life-threatening. I am beside myself in worry and concern. I do not have the urge to drink, but hope it doesn't show up to complicate this event. Feeling lost and helpless. Only posted this as a chronicle of how I handle a grave situation while in recovery. Wish me the best and I will keep in contact when able.

Pádraic
Old 03-31-2011, 02:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good luck Padriac! I'm wishing you and your daughter make it through this unscathed.

Best wishes!!
Old 03-31-2011, 02:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Prayers for your daughters speedy recovery, and for you Pádraic.

Your daughter needs you right now, mate. All other considerations are null and void.

D
Old 03-31-2011, 03:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Cause no harm

Still in hospital awaiting results. Seems like an eternity waiting.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ethanol Intolerant

Pádraic, I hope everything goes well, my best to both of you.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

Just remember that you drinking will do absolutly nothing to help your daughter. In fact it is very likely that drinking will hurt the situation. I'll keep her in my thoughts. Take care.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wishing the best for your daughter Pádraic.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Hoping for the best outcome for all involved.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I know this is the secular forum, but I do want you to know that my prayers are with you and your daughter, hoping everything turns out okay.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 03-31-2011, 06:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Moment of Conception

I remember a time a member of my family was in hospital with serious illness, and i was heavy on the drink. I was able to quit until we got the green-light. Thing was, i thought no way can i continue to abuse my health in front of everyone while this was going on.

All the best to you and your family Pádraic...
Old 03-31-2011, 07:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sending all my positive thoughts to you and your family...prayers too although I know this is the secular connection. I have faith in you that you will weather this with your sobriety intact.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Proud Neonephalist

Drinking in this situation would be about the most selfish act possible, and demonstrate to your daughter that she comes a distant second to alcohol in your eyes, at this time when she needs you the most.

You are there for her right now, and there are no urges...well done!!!! Concentrate on the positive right here and now instead of a negative (urges) that might never come.

Hope all is well very soon for both your daughter and you.

Murray
Old 03-31-2011, 08:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

my thoughts are with you and your daughter
Old 03-31-2011, 10:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Cause no harm

Thank you all for your kindness and prayers. A little after midnight here and I am home and so is my daughter. We have to go back for more tests in the morning, but at least we get to sleep in our own beds tonight. Events turning out a little more positive and the initial grim diagnosis may prove to be incorrect. Tomorrow will tell.

I channeled all my thoughts to my daughter, which left no room for consideration of drink. The hour drive back home gave no urges to drink. I did however have a double-shot of espresso, which I'm sure will have an bearing on my sleep tonight. But I made it. Passed the 43rd day of sobriety and still strong.

Again, thank you one and all for your friendship and your hearts. I couldn't ask for a finer group of ex-drunks.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Glad it might not be as bad as first thought...keep us posted when you get a chance...we are all pulling for you both.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I really feel for you in this situation mate, thinking of you both. Hope it all goes ok for your daughter. Be strong for her
Old 04-03-2011, 07:58 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Cause no harm

As an update on the situation, all seems to be working out in a positive manner. It appears that my daughter will be fine. We had been told Thursday she was experiencing an ectopic pregnancy and was rushed to the ER for fear of hemorrhaging, obviously a life-threat. By Friday and a battery of tests, it was concluded that she miscarried and the danger was diminished considerably. Another test on Monday to verify hormone levels have dropped, thus confirming the miscarry. She is feeling fine now, no pain and looking like herself again. The trauma of the incident has been replaced with a great relief, even at the expense of loosing the pregnancy. I believe it was so early in the stage, the bonding had not yet occurred and may lessen the effects of the outcome.

As for me...I survived too, with my sobriety intact. Actually, I had very few cravings during the event. However, last evening, the weather here was astounding. A friend of mine invited my wife and I over for a BBQ and campfire dinner. The friend is a connoisseur of beer and I have been used to attending these events sampling a multitude of unique beers. On the drive to his home, I had the whispers begin.

"Why not pick up a six-pack "just to be sociable?" That notion was almost immediately followed by: Now, is a six-pack enough? A nice buzz by the campfire may require a bit more to insure a satisfactory glow. Maybe a little brandy, hmm? Wouldn't that be a grand evening?"

Well, well, well, look who has come for a visit...the Siren. Hier face puttied in a festered smile and talking with such sweetness and concern for my happiness. She rose up so fast with amazing velocity and determination that I, for several minutes, entertained the notion that I could do this (ready?) just for this evening and I would return to my commitment tomorrow. Of course I could. And a band of roving Lapland goats could show up on my doorsteps playing Finnegan's Wake on ukuleles too. But the stage was being set and I was the candidate for the sucker punch.

Then a quiet, but strong voice came from someone I am growing to admire...Pádraic simply said, "It's not going to happen. Not tonight." Did I say that to that gorgeous addiction? Was that me that deflated that black urge to break my sobriety and send it sliding back to the obscure recesses where it will lick its wounds and try to conspire new tricks? The answer is of course, yes. It was the true self taking charge and I won.

Helpless? Not unless I choose to be...and I am not making that choice.

Thanks for your prayers and concerns.

Pádraic
Old 04-03-2011, 09:12 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

So glad to hear she is okay, Padraic, and that you have stayed strong.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:24 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Way to go Padraic and so grateful for your daughters being okay.

Ever notice in the stories that when the beautiful siren is exposed to the light of day she is a hag?