And I was just thinking how easy this is...

Old 03-30-2011, 11:41 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I agree that is profound, when you think about it!

Wow, I’ll catch hell for this-but isn’t it like saying I can’t get straight without a HP? Or any outside influence? To me it all boils down to- I started drinking by myself. Can’t I stop by myself?

No doubt I may need help along the way, but if I don’t start with the mindset “ I am not going to drink for the rest of my life” how am I going to maintain long lasting sobriety?
Old 03-31-2011, 06:45 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Moment of Conception

Well done CR, good example of a situation thats very common too.

It all boils down to two choices. Yes or no? Simple but can mean everything when we are trying to deal with it.

'Yes' i'll use/drink, i see as a blatant defiance toward living a productive life.
'No' im not gonna do it i see as infinitley more positive, but at the same time as difficult.

The difficulty for me tho doesnt last very long >>if<< i consider the 'yes' option, i quickly realise how foolish it would be... heh and ends in a 'pfff... foot down and gone!'
Old 04-01-2011, 09:09 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I like to think of it as team work...between God and myself....I have never thought I was powerless over alcohol...I just need some help...and with 14 months soberity...we got a good thing goin'!
Old 04-18-2011, 03:15 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Creekryder View Post

This time, Beast, hear me roar!

Pádraic

Hah, totally, AVRT is a core part of my recovery, I don't feel like I will ever drink again, I certainly don't go through all the "just for today I will not drink" stuff. I actually used AVRT to give up smoking too, well a mix of AVRT and meditative self hypnotism.

I really wish they taught it in rehabs, I pass it on to everyone I meet.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:29 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tabula View Post
Originally Posted by Creekryder View Post
This time, Beast, hear me roar!
Hah, totally, AVRT is a core part of my recovery, I don't feel like I will ever drink again, I certainly don't go through all the "just for today I will not drink" stuff. I actually used AVRT to give up smoking too, well a mix of AVRT and meditative self hypnotism.

I really wish they taught it in rehabs, I pass it on to everyone I meet.
Good to see that others use AVRT successfully. I take issue with some of Trimpey's political views as of late, but I can disregard them, as I find his insights into addiction as per AVRT spot on.

I had a "Beast" attack earlier today - I posted on the Alcoholism forum.

I didn't state it there, but I stared the Beast down while holding a nice bottle of Single Malt Scotch. It was definitely squirming, but I told it "Nice try, Beast, never going to happen."

Found Bottle of Scotch - Pavlovian Response