SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Secular Connections (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/)
-   -   Celebrity Rehab (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/223260-celebrity-rehab.html)

azureseas 03-27-2011 09:21 AM

Celebrity Rehab

Has anyone seen this show? randomly watched this old episode called Triggers (Season 3, Episode 6)

"Triggers" ( Ep. 306 ) from Celebrity Rehab 3 | Full Episode | VH1.com

They covered some great stuff. I'm going to start at the beginning and watch the whole season.
Its interesting to see a professional dealing with addicts and how the group rehab thing works.

I am new to all this, 2 weeks today, so I'm all about getting as many tools as possible to help me. So far I've done it on my own.

Has anyone else done this without face to face support? One topic they covered was isolating and it made me think maybe me avoiding face to face support is me isolating.

Supercrew 03-27-2011 09:33 AM

Yes I have been doing it without formal face to face support, but I do have my wife to discuss ideas and recovery with. Just using SR has been basically the support I needed.

Creekryder 03-27-2011 09:53 AM

I, too, am doing this without f2f support and use my cyberdrunks to help me when I feel I need the support. Doing it alone, I come face to face with my drunk side, with whom I grapple and wrestle frequently. As a result, I feel stronger than that part of me and, armed with that knowledge, have been winning the battle. But please do not be misled...I feel that sometimes I am on shaky ground, that my victories could have easily slipped in the other direction. I have prevailed, yet I am still extremely cautious, with a finger on the trigger, so to speak, to how persuasive the addiction still remains. I am only 40 days into the sobriety and I have been here before. And I have fallen flat on my butt just as many times. Yet I still look for new strategies, new battle plans, and changes in myself to make this the success I seek.
Loneliness is a cunning ally of alcoholism. Along with its brothers, fear, hopelessness, anger, and pain, it can enter your resolve and begin to undermine your efforts. More than once it has been a factor in my relapses.
Keep talking to your wife, sober friends, and staying in touch with us here on SR. That can be a powerful force in your corner; enough to give you an edge. That is what we all, regardless to which path we take in sobriety, need to stand firm in finding life void of addiction.

luckedog 03-27-2011 10:34 AM

I, like many others, have worked my recovery mostly on my own. I have attended maybe 10 AA meetings in the last 2 years. The nearest meeting is in Tulsa which is 45—50 miles away. I have SR as a substitute for F2F meetings. I also use the principals of SMART and Rational Recovery, along with everything I can find to read or listen to.
I made the decision about the 7th of Jan. 2010 To not ever drink again! By the grace of God ( yes I actually said the G word) I have kept that commitment. I occasionally get the urge, When I do, I stop and remember all the things alcohol took from me and the urge goes away. It may be a little more difficult than that, but that’s the basics. I have learned that our mind is just like a computer; IT IS programmable. GARBAGE IN –GARBAGE OUT . So I work at putting the right stuff in. When that becomes a habit (addiction) the results are good.

luckedog 03-27-2011 04:45 PM

azureseas, I just got the chance to view the site you put up. I found it very entertaning and helpful. Thanks for posting it.

LaFemme 03-27-2011 06:09 PM

I don't. Watch tv so have not seen the program. I am sober without a formal program or f2f support. 8+ strong months after 5 years I couldn't put a week together...I credit sr a lot!

JohnBarleycorn 03-27-2011 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by azureseas (Post 2912946)
Has anyone else done this without face to face support? One topic they covered was isolating and it made me think maybe me avoiding face to face support is me isolating.

It depends on whether you are introverted, extroverted, comfortable with people, etc. It can help some people, but it can make things worse for others. Some people do not like to "share," for example, and others do not like group settings.

The AA meetings force me to sit down with and tolerate many other people who have differing views and opinions, which is something I might normally avoid. I go to GLBT/Gay AA, Agnostic AA, as well as "mainstream" AA meetings, so I get quite a variety of personalities.

However, I do not consider support in any way *necessary* for me to abstain. In the final analysis, I have to keep myself clean and sober - nobody else will do it for me.

damselfly 03-27-2011 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by JohnBarleycorn (Post 2913573)
The AA meetings force me to sit down with and tolerate many other people who have differing views and opinions, which is something I might normally avoid.

I have recently realized that this is one of the reasons I sometimes don't like AA and other group meetings. And it is also one of the reasons why AA and other group meetings are probably good for me.

luckedog 03-28-2011 08:09 AM

JB, This is at the core of recovery;
"However, I do not consider support in any way *necessary* for me to abstain. In the final analysis, I have to keep myself clean and sober - nobody else will do it for me." JohnBarleycorn.

You hit the nail on the head! Without a real commitment to Be and STAY sober, relapse is unavoidable on matter how many meetings or professional help one gets. Like you said- Nobody else will do it for you!

kiki5711 03-28-2011 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by azureseas (Post 2912946)
Has anyone seen this show? randomly watched this old episode called Triggers (Season 3, Episode 6)

"Triggers" ( Ep. 306 ) from Celebrity Rehab 3 | Full Episode | VH1.com

They covered some great stuff. I'm going to start at the beginning and watch the whole season.
Its interesting to see a professional dealing with addicts and how the group rehab thing works.

I am new to all this, 2 weeks today, so I'm all about getting as many tools as possible to help me. So far I've done it on my own.

I just watched for the first time. It covers some good stuff, but this rehab is like kindergarten. They're all being pampered. That one young guy with blue tinted glasses who's title was "heir to a billionaire", I found it very hard to be simpathetic to him. He'll never know what it's like to go "without" drugs, booze, or anything else for that matter. He needs help in a way of "life reality check" rehab. The reality he lives in is not one we can relate to. Neither is Charlie SHeens reality. No matter how much he fu...cks up, he'll have women and money around him. And to him, that's all that counts.

luckedog 03-28-2011 10:08 AM

kiki5711, With all due respect, although I see your point to a degree, I still was encouraged by watching these clips. I have never seen the "show" but at the same time I could relate to much of what they were going through. These people have been pampered all their lives. And money for alcohol-drugs is never a problem. As far as C.S. is concerned momma said "if you cant say something good about someone don’t say anything" so, I don’t have nothing to say!
By the way the episode about graduation is good too. Just my opinion. Thanks Ld

azureseas 03-28-2011 10:49 AM

The one I watched on line is an old episode, one of the guys on it, bassist from Alice In Chains is now dead. It also has Dennis Rodman who thinks he doesn't have a drinking problem. I can imagine that each series has different dynamics with the different personalities.

kiki5711 03-28-2011 11:05 AM

I would like to have been in rehab like that with a jacuzzi and a pool. and know that while I'm drying out, my bills are being paid and my kids taken care of.

That guy I was talking about had a trash mouth belittling everyone and he IS the one that needs to look at his "humanity". I doubt he'll get a chance to.

tyler 03-28-2011 11:05 AM

I have watched this show since it premiered. I have to admit it does have a certain voyeristic appeal to it. Having gone through rehab a couple of times I can identify many similarities as well as many differences.

One thing that does bother me about this show is the practice of taking real people and watching their real problems as entertainment. Just because they are famous and/or rich does not make their problems any less real. Charlie Sheen comes to mind. It really bothers me how people are watching him spiral out of control just like it were a reality series. From what I can tell, the man needs help, and all he is getting is encouragment to keep acting out. That said, I am as guilty as anyone for watching this crap. Just thought I'd chime in.

JohnBarleycorn 03-28-2011 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by luckedog (Post 2913971)
JB, This is at the core of recovery;
"However, I do not consider support in any way *necessary* for me to abstain. In the final analysis, I have to keep myself clean and sober - nobody else will do it for me." JohnBarleycorn.

You hit the nail on the head! Without a real commitment to Be and STAY sober, relapse is unavoidable on matter how many meetings or professional help one gets. Like you said- Nobody else will do it for you!

I always found it peculiar that people told me to either "cut back" or to "get help! get help!" as if my clothes were on fire.

People never seem to suggest quitting, like they would with cigarettes.

jamdls 03-28-2011 01:18 PM

I also recovered w/o f2f support, I went to maybe 6-10 AA meetings but that really wasn't for me, I did 99% of my drinking alone I figured I'd recover alone. I used some of the AA concepts to help and I talked with my dad almost daily for the first year or 2 as he's been free of alcohol for over 20 yrs. I didn't come upon SR until well into my 2nd yr and it has served as a great reminder why I choose sobriety and I've "met" a lot of really great people here.

As for the celebrity rehab I watched 1 whole season and it angered me a lot, it even angered me that I was watching it.... reality shows have a lot of bs and I don't think reality tv is the place for anyone to gain lasting help

damselfly 03-28-2011 05:10 PM

In one of the bonus clips on there, Dr. Drew says that in his experience, there is "no possibility of recovery" without the 12 steps. Which makes me wonder about his experience. (I don't mean to start a 12-step discussion here - just commenting on the link.)

azureseas 03-28-2011 08:19 PM

On the episode I saw they scanned a woman's brain and could visually see the damage that drinking had done. Googled that subject and found this:

Images of Alcohol and Drug Abuse – Amen Clinics

Scroll to the bottom to see how things can be turned around after being drug and alcohol free for a year

kiki5711 03-29-2011 04:09 AM

NEWSFLASH! they get PAID for being on Dr. Drew's show!

Well, I'll be damned......Now here's a motivation to get sober and clean. You make 180,000!!! wouldn't you like to get paid for going to rehab instead of dishing out the bucks?

The artist formerly known as "Lindsay Lohan" paid more than $53,000 for her three-month stint at the Betty Ford Clinic, but her estranged father, Michael, reportedly got paid a staggering $180,000 to receive 21 days of treatment on Dr. Drew Pinsky's 'Celebrity Rehab.'

"No comment on the show, cast or what I made," Michael told me, appearing to admit he did in fact get paid, adding, "I got great therapy and if that's all I got, that would have been enough. Having 21 days with Dr. Drew and his team is priceless."
http://www.popeater.com/2011/03/28/m...c3_lnk2|207819

kiki5711 03-29-2011 04:37 AM

hell, I might even pretend to relapse just to get invited to the show to make that amount of money. that's more than I made in the last (who knows) how many years!!