Secular Connections

Old 03-26-2011, 01:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Secular Connections

I have been reading some old post’s on this secular thread as an example;

“I am always astonished at how many like-minded folks post in this section."

"this is the place on SR where I find the most like-minded people"

"This thread is very helpful to me. Hooray for reprogramming and the power of changing one's thoughts."

I could site many other like minded comments but these should suffice for an example. The problem I have is if this is such a great thread ( And I believe it is) why don’t more people post down here? I mean, we discuss some really important subjects- The ones who post here are some of the “best and brightest”. They are fair- open minded individuals that are experienced enough to give good solid, helpful advice, So my question is Why aren’t there more of us?
I’M not saying this to hurt ANYONES feelings but the fact is I get a little weary at listening to some of the immature whining that goes on some of the other threads. Am I the only one that sees it that way? Please don’t lecture me about not being sensitive enough to the newbie’s and those who relapse, I have been there many, many times! I would do anything I could to help that group. The fact is that I need someplace to go to be challenged mentally, encouraged emotionally, and made to question and ( confirm or deny) spiritual issues. That is vital to my continuing sobriety!
Thanks to all of you here on the Secular side, you have all been a big help!
Old 03-26-2011, 02:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by luckedog View Post
...if this is such a great thread ( And I believe it is) why don’t more people post down here? I mean, we discuss some really important subjects- The ones who post here are some of the “best and brightest”. They are fair- open minded individuals that are experienced enough to give good solid, helpful advice, So my question is Why aren’t there more of us?
I will admit I probably could post some of the more interesting questions here, and that I haven't really read the old threads.

I don't know why, really. I suppose one can too easily get sucked in to the drama of the Newcomers threads.

But, perhaps if this where to get more traffic, that might change.
Old 03-26-2011, 02:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree Luckedog. I will try to start some new threads, but normally when I come up with something it needs to be pushed to the secular freedom of speech thread.
Old 03-26-2011, 02:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm pretty new to this. There didn't seem to be a whole lot of activity here so I posted on the Alcoholism forum. I agree would be nice if this place had some more action!
Old 03-26-2011, 03:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi Everyone...

Have you read these sticky post on SC?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...7-welcome.html

and

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ad-thanks.html

Hope this helps....
Old 03-26-2011, 05:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ethanol Intolerant

Luckedog, I have spent some time on the wayback threads of this forum. The moderators used to let the discussions run a bit freer than they do now. It is kind of a shame, but I see the reasoning. Lowest common denominator...help the most people, instead of help people the most.

I think part of the problem is the media. On the net it seems it is easier to misunderstand than to understand. I'd love to have some of the conversations we have over a cuppa coffee, but these sort of conversations are really rare anywhere. I am grateful this forum is as good as it is.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Part of CBT is challenging unhelpful beliefs. I picked up plenty of unhelpful beliefs during my recovery journey. But because these beliefs are so personal in nature and involve my past participation in a popular recovery community, I cant work through them here at SC. And that a good thing now that I think about it .

I may pick a SMART Tool and open a discussion thread. That would be helpful. Lets see what I can find.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for your comments. I see now why some things are the way they are.
However I do think we could all post more threads within the confines of the rules. I for one am working SMART & Rational recovery. There is a lot of good information on both these programs. I will look more closely for things to post about.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good point luckedog!

I love it when this section gets active but like you mentioned I think the people who are attractes to this section tend to be pretty mature in their approach to recovery. I have not seen any of the regulars who post here get all dramatic on other sections.

But maybe we should all take it upon ourselves to make this section more active so that others who are like minded might find it and get the same benefits we have found
Old 03-28-2011, 08:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Cause no harm

I plan to pick up new residency here. I, too, will try to post my thoughts here, since the mindset is closer to mine here. Not to displace the importance of the groups, this one just seems to sing the same melody I've got in my head.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

As someone who has been around here for awhile...this is the most active I remember this board being!!!! Keep it up guys!!!!
Old 03-28-2011, 11:28 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks LF, you are right on the mature recovery; Creekryder & Tyler, On target guys!
Old 03-28-2011, 11:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Cause no harm

Just a thought, but I believe some folks may think we're a bunch of "God-hatters and religion-bashers." It may take a bit more to show that is absolutely false. I believe more posting will allow that notion to dissipate.

If you write, they will come. (Oh, have you seen the likes of such wit??) :rotfxko
Old 03-28-2011, 12:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I wanted to say HI! I have been lurking in this section for awhile. While AA helped me the first couple of months of sobriety I have to be honest and say that exercise, diet, meditation, and reading self help books have done more good for me than anything. I am currently reading The Small Book and A Guide to Rational Living by Albert Ellis. I believe in God and have faith in Him, but I believe I the ability to help myself.
I'm glad to be here.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi. Anew!

Despite this being secular there area number of us who are believers. I have always found those who post here welcoming to us. Thec ommon denominator is not actually belief in divinity but how we view divinitys role in recovery

I usually post up forum because that is where people are...I will post more down here as we all are more active down here

I also like to post upforum in case one of our kind shows up and needs to know we are down here
Old 03-28-2011, 04:26 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Great Point L F, If we all follow that idea we will get more to post here!
Old 03-28-2011, 04:33 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Hi Anew, glad to have you here.