SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Secular Connections (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/)
-   -   A perspective of time... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/222751-perspective-time.html)

Creekryder 03-21-2011 07:54 AM

A perspective of time...

A few months ago, I awoke with the concept of time well planted in my alpha-stated mind. I visualized on this thought and this is what I came to:

A pitcher of water, full to the brim, sets atop a shelf. Below is a grate, covering a drainpipe that dispenses itself into a quiet lake from which the sky refills her billowing clouds for spring rains.

A novice is called to sit upon the stone floor as the pitcher is tilted, allowing a slow, constant trickle to fall toward the grate. As he sits, he is to become aware of how the water passes in front of him. His hand drifts through the water and the stream is, but for only a second, diverted and stopped. The water then continues its persistent course through his fingers to the cistern below. The pitcher slowly cedes its volume to the steady flow.

To sit and observe the flow unabated may give pleasure to the viewer, but the water’s use goes without its potential. As he looks up after a few moments, he may notice that the pitcher contains considerably less of its contents. The water continues to pour. But if he were to take a cup, the water could be contained and then put to use—as to quench a thirst. If he took several cups, he could collect more to nurture a plant, to mix with pigments to create a painting, to dampen a cloth and cleanse a wound, or to combine with some with flour to make bread.

Much sooner than expected, the flow begins to ebb. It is realized that the pitcher has discharged itself to where only a few drops cling to the lip. The novice’s lesson is nearly finished. A mere moment remains to reflect the manner in which that container of water was utilized. The pitcher will soon be removed and set outside for the spring rains to refill yet again for another pupil.

Enjoy today...it's everything we have.

Pádraic

Creekryder 03-30-2011 01:21 PM

Within the grips of addiction, we become barren and fruitless. But with the determination of throwing aside the chains of dependency, we can again utilize the greatest treasure we can possibly own...our lives.

LaFemme 03-30-2011 02:35 PM

Well said!

Since getting sober I have felt that the soul is our greatest possession and how we treat the vessell that contains the soul illustrates how we view it. I abused the vessel (the body) when I did not value the soul...now I cherish the vessel and do all in my power to make it strong.

The spleen of time for me is dependent on where I am in my life....the healthier I am the slower time moves...needless to say time moved at warp speed 9 months ago.

Stimmed 03-31-2011 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by LaFemme (Post 2917056)
...needless to say time moved at warp speed 9 months ago.

...for 25yrs here, still wearing my cheeks round my ears!!

@Creek, does the novice lack inspiration?

Creekryder 04-08-2011 11:57 AM

>Stimmed, perhaps, but he was there to observe. And through the observation, the analogy of life flowing its course can be seen. But the lesson was not to change the inevitable course of life's flow , but to utilize it for the best possible outcome during it's short interval that exists between beginning and ebbing.

Stimmed 05-01-2011 09:28 AM

perhaps, but he was there to observe
ok

[But the lesson was not to change the inevitable course of life's flow/QUOTE] ok

[QUOTEbut to utilize it for the best possible outcome during it's short interval that exists between beginning and ebbing.
]
hey im not picking holes, but i dont get how to utilize without change.

I like what you wrote but i dont see it how you exp'. What i do see however in terms of inspiration, i can understand, but my view contradicts my take on your last post.

Ok, how can utilizing an observation be used to the best poss' outcome, 'apart from that moment'?

I See something like...

...this novice is given an oppertunity...

maybe cluthing at straws but...

should he either drink it?

catch it and put it in the ground?

i dont know...

It seems to me that the guy should put the water to use, like grabbing the largest container in sight and saving the water, for better things.

I get the analogy, its simple and effective +1

Hmmm... im gonna take a shot at... 'a thought should be realised', but thats obvious.

Ok... time & consciousness, together with ones power to think, and make the correct or a good decision... is the object of the lesson?

Ok thats my shot with a kujo, if thas the rite term.