Oh so this is where my people are :)

Old 03-09-2011, 05:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Oh so this is where my people are :)

Hi everyone.
I successfully quit drugs on my own 15 years ago and have never looked back. I've been struggling with alcohol lately and am now ready to quit that. I've been reading some of the science links on here and going through the posts- you are my people and I'm so glad I found you. I'm on day 2 right now and struggling a bit with some physical symptoms but I know I can do this. I quit smoking crack for pete's sake. Now I am done with alcohol for the LAST time. Done.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Proud Neonephalist

March7...what a great idea to use your sobriety date as your user name.

My first week was pretty dodgy too. Now, a little over eight months later, it's a heck of a lot easier!!!!

It gets quiet around here sometimes, but the door is always open

Murray
Old 03-09-2011, 07:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Welcome to the secular side of SoberRecovery (SR) March7.

Yea I quit a raging Meth addiction some 6 yrs ago yet alcohol addiction has proved to be quite the challenge to quit.

I hope the SR forums help you as they have helped me in recovery.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome and congratulations on making a decision to improve your life by living alcohol free.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey march and welcome to our happy little family

Congrats on beating crack...I'm sure it will help fighting the alcohol addiction.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Never settle.

I quit meth, coke/crack, and alcohol all at the same time about a year and a half ago. If I'd kept drinking there's no way I'd stay clean so they all had to go at once.

So welcome to the secular side. It's great, you kinda have experience in quitting (we're all a bunch of quitters here, after all) and that will certainly help you this time around. Good job, good luck, and good to meet you!
Old 03-10-2011, 06:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Cocaine and then crack took a year and a half of my life (a long time ag) and one day I got up and just said to myself- WTF, this isn't me, this is disgusting- and I walked away from everything associated with it. I literally moved, never looked back, never again spoke to anyone I was associated with while doing it, and started my life over. I went to college and nobody I know to this day even knows I ever did that. It was a part of my life I was able to squish and repress. It's not A's easy with alcohol. People don't smoke crack at networking events or weddings or corporate dinners. But these are all things I will have to participate in. Alcohol is legal and socially acceptable which is why I feel like it is harder for me to quit than coke was, even though the physical addiction is not A's severe, supposedly. Anyway, day 3 is over. Yay.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My phone corrects "as" to "A's". Sorry about that.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Autocorrect sucks!

I have heard alcohol withdrawal is actually the worst and the only one that can kill you...I'm not sure how many days you have but check with your doctor
Old 03-10-2011, 10:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I heard the same, alcohol withdrawal is the nastiest and can lower your blood pressure enough to kill you, and marijuana withdrawal lasts the longest.
Good on you March7
Old 03-15-2011, 08:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

How is it going March 7?
Old 03-16-2011, 12:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Hope you are doing good March7. Welcome to SR.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:06 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi March7,
It's March 24, curious how you're doing. Just read your initial post (as Murray said, it gets quiet around here sometimes, I don't check in often myself,) though when I read your post I felt compelled to comment. What you wrote about moving forward and never looking back, starting over with living more in the direction you wanted to live, putting to rest the ways you did not, really is the way to proceed. When I realize I'm living in some way I prefer not, I remind myself it doesn't need to be that way. I can choose a different path. As abrupt as that. We have more power and control than we realize, if only we take the power and act. It comes down to a matter of what you really want. Once we decide what we want, and choose to take action, things fall into place. Not necessarily easily, but they do. I found checking in here invaluable a few years back during that period of initial changes toward recovery (when things were delightfully active here.) I'm happy to see increased activity here at Secular again.