Giving it another try.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:19 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Nice work, Anthony! I envy you that there are SMART meetings in your area. I live in a very rural area where there isn't any choice. But when I need support I take what I can get or come here to SR.

I am inspired by your recovery and fitness journey! I am on the last ever Day 4 of sobriety and find that exercise is critical. It chases away the anxiety and gives a confidence boost. I have about 10-15 pounds to lose. I feel so much better already. Glad to hear someone saying how rewarding sober life is!
Old 06-05-2011, 03:20 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Originally Posted by AnthonyV View Post
Yes, OTT, the fitness and nutrition have been just as important to my recovery as the SMART meetings and support of the group. I joined a yoga studio this week and started the yoga classes and I absolutely love it. I was also invited by the local SMART Recovery group to begin facilitator training. It will be awhile before I actually facilitate any meetings but I see helping others as an important component of my own sobriety. When I was caught up in the middle of my addiction with alcohol, I never could have dreamed how happy and rewarding a sober life could be. I know I'm really just starting out, but so far it's been an amazing journey. Thank you for the kind words.
How exciting. I remember my facilitator training. I learned so much that has enriched my personal recovery.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:22 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lilac0721 View Post
Nice work, Anthony! I envy you that there are SMART meetings in your area. I live in a very rural area where there isn't any choice. But when I need support I take what I can get or come here to SR.

I am inspired by your recovery and fitness journey! I am on the last ever Day 4 of sobriety and find that exercise is critical. It chases away the anxiety and gives a confidence boost. I have about 10-15 pounds to lose. I feel so much better already. Glad to hear someone saying how rewarding sober life is!
I'm very happy to hear that you are choosing sobriety! There are online SMART meetings at www.smartrecovery.org. It was very important for me to have a vision of what a sober life could be like. That vision is becoming a reality more amazing than I ever imagined. Please stay connected to the sober community and to positive voices for living, it can mean all the difference.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:33 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

I just wanted to drop by and say HI! Today is 9 months since my last drink. My car also broke down today and that is going to set me back $750 bucks and I'm not quite sure where I'm going to get all of the cash, but I'll find a way. Nine months ago something like that would have had me curled up in a corner with a bottle. Today, no bid deal--I've slayed dragons, this little unexpected expense is nothing in comparison.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:19 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
JJK

good luck, anthony.. keep yer head up.. im lucky enough (i guess) to have 2 SMART meetings a week in my small double one letter dominated city.. theyre listed on the website.. just hope theyre not defunct! i plan on going monday.. and taking a similiar approach to yours, anthony.. hope you the best..
Old 12-08-2011, 07:11 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

I started this thread a year ago today. I'm happy to report that I am sober, happy and healthy. Thanks to help from SMART recovery, a healthy diet, meditation, yoga, Campral and a positive attitude I will have a year of sobriety on Christmas Eve. In the past year I have also lost about 98lbs and have become dedicated to fitness. My life is so much better than it was a year ago. Sobriety is not only possible, but it possible to gain a rich, happy and rewarding life in sobriety. Being sober really is about so much more than just not drinking.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:36 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Ethanol Intolerant

Anthony, that is fantastic news. Congratulations!
Old 12-08-2011, 08:46 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Good going Anthony!
Old 12-09-2011, 05:19 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Awesome, Anthony! Way to go!!!!
Old 12-09-2011, 06:40 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Poison Eater Extraordinaire

I love reading stuff like this - good for you Anthony!!
Old 12-10-2011, 07:58 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the kind regards. I do have to say this past year, although it was filled with hard work to get to where I am it was also one of the best years in probably the past decade that I had. Challenging but rewarding because I found that it's never too late to change. Many of my previously held notions of what addiction is were challenged and many of them torn down. I do not consider my self an alcoholic because I believe that is a self assigned label created by another recovery movement. I do know that alcohol had become a destructive force and a hindrance in my life and needed to be permanately removed and that I had drank so much and so long that my body had become dependent on alcohol and had caused physical damage. I removed the alcohol and now my body is no longer dependent and my body continues to heal. I had substituted alcohol as a temporary means to fill a void of happiness that was lacking in my life. I have developed new goals and interests that now provide a lasting satisfaction of happiness that the alcohol can never provide. And I do consider myself to be in recovery from my destructive behaviors and patterns regarding my alcohol use but I view recovery as a transition period not a lifelong status.
Old 12-26-2011, 02:03 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

I now there is nothing magical about 365 days, but for me it's an important milestone. On Christmas Eve I celebrated one year of sobriety.
Old 12-26-2011, 03:12 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 1 year, Anthony! This is just awesome.
And thank you for sharing your milestone with us.
Old 12-26-2011, 03:40 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Great job Anthony!
Old 12-27-2011, 12:16 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Congrats on your first year, that's really huge. Many more.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:49 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Poison Eater Extraordinaire

That's wonderful, congrats!
Old 01-21-2012, 04:35 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

I just read this thread start to finish.

Anthony - Thank you so much for sharing your story. It is right up there among the most inspirational I have read in my short time here on SR. Bravo to you, sir. I don't know you personally, but I am so proud of you for what you have done. Outstanding.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:47 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Thank you Henry. It's been a long journey. As I've said throughout my posts on this thread it's been a combination of SMART Recovery meetings, meditation, yoga, excercise/nutrition and keeping a positive attitude that it's worth it, and it is. And I didn't quit trying, if I had let my previous failures at sobriety poison my mind with doubt I would not be over a year sober today.