Giving it another try.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:13 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Looks like a great plan to obtain the kind of revenue stream that they feel can possibly make a big difference for Smart. There are easily a few thousand treatment centers throughout the UK, and if even a third agree to sign, it could be bea-u-tiful.

I'm confident I could train a crew that would exceed a 50% close ratio. I'd be willing to take it on if the overrides were substantial enough. And I if got a chunk of the renewal fees after the initial contract expiration.

Nothing like this has ever been attempted in the area of Recovery/Franchising, and it's just the tip of the iceberg. Just think of the opportunities in other areas that have in the mouldy past relied on the good will of people to help others. Getting some people together who possess a vision could easily translate into more than a few bucks shaking out. Could be amazingly good.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:54 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Ethanol Intolerant

Originally Posted by cabledude View Post
Just think of the opportunities in other areas that have in the mouldy past relied on the good will of people to help others.
Brilliant timing CD...

"Life's most persistent and urgent question is: 'What are you doing for others?'"

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:03 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jamdls View Post
Hi Anthony, congrats on your progress! Sounds like you you are doing a lot of right things, I didn't get into a regular workout routine until well into recovery and it has made a tremendous improvement in my overall life mental and physical; I wish I'd started it early on.
I called the gym near my home today and set up an appointment with one of the trainers to get a tour of the club. I plan on starting my fitness portion of my recovery plan by this weekend.

And I can't believe it, I found out today that two more SMART Recovery meetings are being added in my area, so I will soon have six SMART Recovery meeting options every week.

I have tried quitting drinking so many times before in the past 20 years and I have never felt so optimistic or so solid in my prospects of lasting sobriety ever before in my life as I do now. I'm sending a big cyber-hug and thank you to everyone who has expressed kind wishes for my sobriety and recovery.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:56 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Hi Anthony,
It's been years since I actively participated here at the Secular thread and today thought to check in to see what was going on. I read through your thread and was reminded why I used to come here. It was a resource to find something that worked for me, a source for support and optimism and outside input. It pleases me greatly to see you find what you're looking for here as I did those years ago. I am again reminded of a few important aspects of recovery I need to re-enact, and of a few books I still need to read. Recovery isn't a one-time act, it's a lifetime commitment. So much positive change results in making that decision, to stop using, to reclaim your life and lead the better, healthier life you choose for yourself. Definitely engage your body as well as your mind in your recovery process. Your body will thank you, and I guarantee you you'll appreciate life and living more when you're feeling good physically. The physical, mental, and emotional are all interconnected.

Wishing you the best as you proceed forward!
Old 01-20-2011, 12:03 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Originally Posted by AnthonyV View Post
I found out today that two more SMART Recovery meetings are being added in my area, so I will soon have six SMART Recovery meeting options every week.
You are a lucky man, Anthony! I just love SMART Recovery.

OTT
Old 01-21-2011, 09:21 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Last night was my last night at treatment. And today was my first day at the gym. I am so happy and excited about my sobriety. In one way I feel a little guilty because there are others in the treatment program who are really struggling. I know what they must be going through because I've struggled before. But this time I am so optimistic and confident in my recovery. SMART has a lot to do with it, along with the other aspects I've implemented into my program. And I Am really ready this time.

I agree andisa, exercise is important. And yes OTT, I am lucky to live in a community with a strong SMART Recovery community.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:25 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Today is day 60 since my final drink, and my life already is infinitely better than it was just a mere two months ago. I am so happy in sobriety. And this is no "pink cloud" that I am on, my obsession for alcohol has mostly disappeared. My days are now preoccupied with living. Recovery is an important part of that, but I do not spend all day long obsessing about what I need to do today to avoid alcohol--avoiding alcohol is just becoming second nature. I already faced some pretty big challenges/stressors in my early recovery and I was able to face them head-on successfully without entertaining the thought of drinking. My recovery consists of SMART, diet/nutrition, exercise, mindfulness meditation and being active with friends and in my community. In comparison to previous attempts at becoming sober, I have never felt so solid in my recovery as I do now.

A big thanks to everyone on this board that offered encouragement along the way.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:16 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Ethanol Intolerant

Anthony you seem to be wearing sobriety very well. I am really happy for you. You should be proud of yourself, keep it up.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:18 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Anthony, this is GREAT! Good for you. Keep up the good work!!!!
Old 02-22-2011, 08:13 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Thank you recycle & truth for the encouragement.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:42 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Such wonderful news on the 60 days. You are really sounding good

BTW, I'm still jealous about the fact you have 4 four SMART meetings in your area.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:11 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Today is day 101 since my last drink and when I committed to giving recovery another try. I am so happy and grateful that I finally made that decision to give it my all to change my life. I recently had some follow up blood work with my doctor and my liver enzymes have returned to normal. We didn't re-test the cholesterol yet, but I have a physical in June. I have also lost over 35lbs since December and am getting fit. I continue to attend weekly SMART Recovery meetings, they truly are an important piece of my program for recovery. This time around my sobriety has been so much fun and so rewarding. In the past my attempts felt like a punishment.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:26 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Way to GO!!!! Proof positive you'r gonna make it!

Congrats.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:01 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Ethanol Intolerant

Bravo Anthony.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:23 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

I love reading updates like this. AnthonyV that's wonderful. I am so happy for you!
Old 04-03-2011, 01:44 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the positive feedback! ((((hugs))))
Old 04-07-2011, 09:42 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Excellent progress! I once made a decision to get healthy,and over the course of one summer lost those ugly 18 excess pounds I put on the year before through serious excercize and healthy living. With that newfound freedom of lost weight and feeling so good about it, I never looked back. That was over 20 years ago! It's a wholly sound decision to be healthy, you'll forever be happy with your decision, guaranteed! Here's to healthy living.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:26 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

I'm very happy to report that yesterday was five months since I took my final drink. My recovery has progressed at a rate that I didn't dream was possible. I am happy, well adjusted and content with zero desire to drink or get high. My fitness program continues to progress and I have lost 70lbs since January and I am now running 3 miles several days a week. I continue to attend SMART Recovery meetings, but I can see a day when I will be able to fully close this chapter of my life and move forward without meetings.

A deep, deep thank you to everyone who has offered encouraging words and thoughts over the past few months and thank you to everyone who has shared their experience, fears and dreams on the forum pages in all the various threads. So many things posted on this forum have offered hope and strength to so many from so many. I hope you all find a deep, lasting sobriety full of life, love and joy.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:28 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Anthony:

Thanks for checking in and letting us know that you're doing well. Congratulations on your five-plus months. And by the way, I had much the same experience as you in terms of exercise: it was truly a lifesaver for me. Isn't it amazing to be sober and healthy?

Good job!

OTT
Old 06-04-2011, 05:28 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Yes, OTT, the fitness and nutrition have been just as important to my recovery as the SMART meetings and support of the group. I joined a yoga studio this week and started the yoga classes and I absolutely love it. I was also invited by the local SMART Recovery group to begin facilitator training. It will be awhile before I actually facilitate any meetings but I see helping others as an important component of my own sobriety. When I was caught up in the middle of my addiction with alcohol, I never could have dreamed how happy and rewarding a sober life could be. I know I'm really just starting out, but so far it's been an amazing journey. Thank you for the kind words.