Caffeine/Soda Addiction??

Old 10-09-2010, 04:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Caffeine/Soda Addiction??

Now that we are sober (and taking one day at a time to stay that way) we now love to drink Cokes, Dr. Peppers, other soda pops, and coffee.

I have seen myself, in the last 2 months, drinking a soda (Dr. Pepper and Coke preferrable) every single day!!! HELP!! No, I do drink water all day long and everyday, but I just have this sweet tooth for soda or sweet coffee that is horrendous at times.

How do I keep myself from drinking soda or coffee everyday?
Old 10-09-2010, 06:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Never settle.

I just don't keep it around, and don't buy it. That works pretty well.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

OH I can relate!!! since I have been sober...I LOVE coke......I actually had to make a huge effort to cut back....it really made me gain weight!!! Now I have it as a treat on Friday nights!!!
Old 10-10-2010, 09:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by loveon2legs View Post
OH I can relate!!! since I have been sober...I LOVE coke......I actually had to make a huge effort to cut back....it really made me gain weight!!! Now I have it as a treat on Friday nights!!!
That sounds like a great idea. Just drink it on a Friday night or Saturday night. Sounds good to me.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
oak

I also can relate to soda addiction. It's bad. I have been going without it for a week or so, but then start drinking it again. I am once more off it. My plan is to go a month without it and then reassess. I would like to have it occasionally, but I don't know if that is do-able. I feel so calm in my body without it. Peaceful.

I am giving up chocolate too for the month.

We'll see...

Good luck on finding what works for you!
Old 10-12-2010, 01:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

that caffeine really wrecks me...I do drink caffeine free soft drinks..but haven't had any for 2 weeks and I don't really miss it....the weather change might have alot to do with that.
(I drink decaf iced tea instead...but like my sugar!)
Old 10-12-2010, 07:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Funny I used to be a major soda addict...cans a day...diet coke was my DOC. I quit cold Turkey...man the withdrawal was rough and didn't touch the stuff for ages...every 6 months or so I would get a can if I was having pizza (nothing better than a coke and a slice of pizza, right?)....as time passed the time between sodas would get longer and longer and I wouldn't be able to finish the can. I think the last coke I had was . Years ago and I couldn't finish it...it was nasty ....interestingly enougg...just the smell of alcohol makes me sick today. I wonder how you can go so dramatically frombeing addicted to a substance to despising it?
Old 11-13-2010, 07:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I would be asking yourself
- Has my life become unmanageable due to this?
- Do i constantly think about how i am going to get my next coke drink?
- I do hide my coke drinking?
- Just how 'out of control' is it?
Old 11-13-2010, 11:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Never settle.

Life may not become unmanageable due to drinking too many caffeinated beverages.

But it can contribute to high blood pressure.

And consuming phosphoric or citric acid, common ingredients in pop, requires calcium to lower blood pH. This deprives your skeleton of calcium, and if you don't get enough calcium already your body strips calcium out of your bones to compensate. This can lead to skeletal problems including osteoporosis (even in teenagers). Plus the acids eat the enamel on your teeth and provide food for bacteria, contributing to tooth decay.

And of course sugar and caffeine and all the other cr@p in pop takes water to process, dehydrating the body.

So it may not be alcohol or dope or whatever, but it still doesn't do you any favors. And drinking too much non-diet pop will cause you to gain weight. Plus not everything on here has to be 100% addiction-related. Peer support is welcome and encouraged, after all! There are bigger problems in the world but if someone is worried about it, what's it hurt to ask?
Old 11-14-2010, 09:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I don't let off as much gas from behind now I don't touch it

(jet exhaust )

Seriously though I make myself a nice pot of tea most meal times or a superior kind of coffee (for me, decaffeinated after noon).
Old 11-14-2010, 10:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
HFA

I was never one for pop, but my caffeine addiction is iced tea. I have always drank a LOT. I have a 100 oz ( 3L) mug at work. I used to drink black caffeine tea. My BP was high as you can imagine. I then switched to decaf green. That was fine then. Now that I have stopped drinking, I find myself buying the $1 unsweet McDon ice tea and drinking 2-3 a day. Need to shut it down....

Week 20
Old 11-14-2010, 01:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Guilty. But I drink diet. It's a futile attempt to reduce my sugar intake.

Oh, well. Harm reduction. Better than pounding back beer after beer.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Hi spooks, welcome to the forms of SoberRecovery.

Yes compared to the ravages of drug addiction, I consider my caffeine free diet soda intake is small potatoes. I do love my soda and drink mass amounts of it.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Mine is coffee, even though I don't like coffee. But I have been getting myself to drink iced coffee. At least the caffeine content is much lesser because of the ice in it (waters it down some). So I don't get jittery anymore. I just can't drink regular coffee anymore. So for me it's iced coffee and iced tea. Not so much soda, except with pizzas or hamburgers.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:13 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bamboozle View Post
Guilty. But I drink diet. It's a futile attempt to reduce my sugar intake.

Oh, well. Harm reduction. Better than pounding back beer after beer.
Better than pounding back tequila after tequila (that was my case)! LOL!
Old 05-31-2012, 03:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Originally Posted by LeanaJo View Post
Mine is coffee, even though I don't like coffee. But I have been getting myself to drink iced coffee. At least the caffeine content is much lesser because of the ice in it (waters it down some). So I don't get jittery anymore. I just can't drink regular coffee anymore. So for me it's iced coffee and iced tea. Not so much soda, except with pizzas or hamburgers.
Doing good. I'm still into lemonade. This hot weather has been having me drink 2L a day. When the store is out and I buy soda I just don't enjoy it as much at all.

I still am working on gaining the weight back I lost on when I had my kidney stone early this year so the sugar isn't an issue.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:15 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LeanaJo View Post
Now that we are sober (and taking one day at a time to stay that way) we now love to drink Cokes, Dr. Peppers, other soda pops, and coffee.

I have seen myself, in the last 2 months, drinking a soda (Dr. Pepper and Coke preferrable) every single day!!! HELP!! No, I do drink water all day long and everyday, but I just have this sweet tooth for soda or sweet coffee that is horrendous at times.

How do I keep myself from drinking soda or coffee everyday?
A couple of years ago I decided to get healthy in body, mind and spirit. The first drug I got out of my system was caffane and coke. From the time I was a small child I would drink at least a 6 pack of coke a day. I loved Coke.

The first week I had a terrible headache. It has been two years for me and I don't miss the caffine one bit. I drink fresca, which is no caffine and no sugar as I am diabetic.

You are making a good decision.

Love and Blessings
Chrisy
Old 06-06-2012, 06:04 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

caffeine addiction can be a bitch. there have been periods when I really abused it, now I can doing well holding it to one dose a day, in the morning. an earlier post made a good point, using an AA litmus test -- unless you are really going crazy, caffeine will not make your life unmanageable (though looking back on it, it may have come close in my 600mg+ heyday).