Holistic Recovery

Old 09-05-2010, 09:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Holistic Recovery

So there is a lot of discussion about the chemical relationship and damage to the brain caused by alcoholism and how that keeps us vulernable to relapse.

I thought a thread for whole body healing and information might be useful. After all the brain isn't the only thing involved.

In the last month I have found out I have excessive Candida and an overly acidic Ph balance, both of which are most likely caused by the alcohol abuse. Left unchecked either of these things cannactually trigger physical cravings (both are related to the sugar in alcohol). One of the best things to do for these is cutting sugars out of our diets. I frequently see people in recovery talking about sugar cravings to hold off alcohol cravings, where in reality you are perpetuating the problem.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Old 09-05-2010, 11:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Not sure LaFemme. I have been on a low carb low sugar diet for about 8 years, (I do occassionally cheat), I basically try to stay away from the white stuff, sugar, flour, milk etc. Since then I have always got back good blood tests, I have lost weight, and the doctor has always told me I am pretty healthy, even when I was drinking heavily.

Since quitting the booze, I have had more sugar cravings, and I have succumbed to grabbing a donut in the morning or some M and M's, but I never really over do it. So I do see a relationship to sugar and alcohol, and infact that was one of my hangover helpers,, (sugar in the AM), but I'm not sure whether it is affecting my recovery adversely. I think trading 12 beers and a half a bottle of Vodka for a bag of M and M's and an occasional ice cream bar isn't that bad.

But, I do see a coorelation.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Proud Neonephalist

I was just talking with my wife about going to see a Naturopath just yesterday

Here's how the Canadian Association of Naturopathic Doctors describes Naturopathic medicine;

What is Naturopathic Medicine?

My hunch is a Naturopath could really help in reestablishing balance in my life, and probably more than on a biochemical level too.

Murray
Old 09-06-2010, 08:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great link Murray...thanks...does Canada's healthcare cover that? We have to pay for those things out of pocket.

Right now I am trying to get my Ph alkaline again...eating tons of veggies, drinking acv and only one cup of coffee a day...getting over alcoholish is about soon much more than the booze!
Old 09-06-2010, 10:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Not sure if this info belongs here, but since quitting the drinking 70 days ago, adding an additional hour of weight training and cardio to the 5 miles I walk everyday, adding more fruit to my diet, I have been able to be basically ache and pain free, no headaches, no digestive problems, and the depression that I once thought I had is now suddenly gone.

I have not had to reach for any pain relievers, or antacids, and I used to pop them like they were tic tacs. My blood pressure which I check daily is perfect, and even pains from old sports injuries have seemed to disappear. They only thing I notice now is if I have some carbs or refined sugar the previous day I can feel a little bloated in my hands the following morning.

The other positive is I used to pull muscles or at least strain them regularly when I was working out, but I have had no such problems in the last 60 days.

The part that amazes me the most is the depression. I never medicated for the depression aside from alcohol, but now I am thinking that the alcohol might have been the cause in the first place.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Proud Neonephalist

Originally Posted by LaFemme View Post
...does Canada's healthcare cover that?
Apparently, BC's Medical Services Plan cut subsidies to Naturopaths in 2002, and only those on premium assistance get partial coverage. I can get extra through my work, probably up to about 80%.

Murray
Old 09-06-2010, 11:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Proud Neonephalist

Supercrew,

Makes sense to me!

Murray
Old 09-06-2010, 11:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Murray, you are lucky you get something:-)

Supercrew...I totally feel you with the depression...I have not had a single episode in two months, and only one mild and very brief anxiety attack in the third week.

It only makes sense that we would be sensitive to sugars after abusing them for so long. I read that we are usually addicted to things we are allegeric too...very weird!
Old 09-06-2010, 01:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Ethanol Intolerant

I have read that it is possible for sugars to ferment in the duodenum. It seems like pH and available bacteria would be important to this process. It probable does not any difference to normal brains.
Old 09-06-2010, 02:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi recycle!

Actually, sugar imbalance, acidic Ph and candida overgrowth make non-alcoholics ill too. Depression is common for people who have these problems, so is anxiety...sound familiar:-) plus all sorts of problems come with these imbalances. An alcoholic past just makes you more likely to have them:-)
Old 09-06-2010, 07:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Ethanol Intolerant

I thought you just went through a round of antibiotics. Is Candida anaerobic?
Old 09-06-2010, 08:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I don't know what anaerobic means...taking antibiotics usually causes candida overgrowth as the antibiotics kill the good bacteria that keeps the candidates in check.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Ethanol Intolerant

Since Candida is a yeast, it likely is anaerobic (lives without oxygen). Regular antibiotics won't affect it then. Only the heavy duty kind will affect in the gut.

I am finding this curious. I went on the heavy duty antibiotics the week I quit drinking and I immediately developed a fetish for sweet tarts (sugar and acidic) and club soda (anaerobic and acidic). I was drinking two litres a day and a couple of rolls of sweet tarts. I never eat sweets. The once vice I do not - err - did not have. I wonder if there is a connection.?
Old 09-07-2010, 09:32 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

An article on Holistic recovery. It mentions Candida as well as a number of other health concerns.

Nutrition and alcoholism

Antibiotics only make Candida worse from what I understand.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

a good gumbo does wonders
Old 09-08-2010, 04:26 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by windysan View Post
a good gumbo does wonders
That it does.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:51 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I suffered from depression throughout my 20s, 30s, 40s. I was diagnosed with PTSD, GAD, and major depression. I went to therapists and psychiatrists, I was on different drugs for these issues for about 15 yrs and I drank throughout those years as well although the regular heavy drinking didn't start until my 40s. The first year I quit drinking I replaced alcohol with chocolate, lots and lots of chocolate, I still was seeing a therapist and taking the medications. Over the last 3 years I've weaned myself off all the medications except for occassionally I take 1/2 tablet of anti-anxiety med; I continued to be a "sad" person but I was ok. This year I started working out at a gym 5-6 days a week, I eat very healthy with little to no processed foods nor sweets and I feel amazing! I don't even remember the last time I felt even slightly depressed and I'm in the best shape of my life. I also had GERD and took medication for it but since I started eating healthy natural foods I no longer have a problem with that and don't take the medication; giving up alcohol, sweets and adding exercise also enabled me to stop taking blood pressure medication. Exercise and healthy eating have turned my life around.