The "Reality Show" Method

Old 08-31-2010, 10:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The "Reality Show" Method

I have been sober for almost 3 months now and am new to the forum. I have been recently exploring the AVRT method but another secular method I find myself using from time to time is what I call the "Reality Show" method. I find myself stopping on channels like MTV and watching segments of reality shows such as "Jersey Shores". Almost every segment I catch involves the group getting hammered and making complete fools of themselves.

Watching their behavior can give me a lot of strength. I know I have been there in the past and these shows demonstrate how awful one can behave when drunk.

Should I feel guilty or misguided about finding strength in other peoples poor choices?
Old 08-31-2010, 11:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

I do the same thing but watch on YouTube as well. Its a good reminder for me of where I can go if I'm not careful. Think of the David Hasselhoff video, I don't want to be there again.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

LOL! Whatever works, right:-)
Old 08-31-2010, 04:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

"Cops" is always an eyeopener for me.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Welcome to the secular side of SR Durden.

The "reality show" idea makes sense to me. I'm constantly inspired to continue with my drug free lifestyle with reminders of my past intoxicated behaviors...the freak show. I think its good for me to be reminded of what it was like so I don't forget where it can go if I think I can use drugs again.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That's a good method for me too reminding myself of where it ends at. When I have craving I think of the end of my use. I can go downtown and see people flailing around to remember. I've got a month now!
Old 08-31-2010, 07:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats drapetomatic! Ok, what gives with your user name?:-)
Old 08-31-2010, 07:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I got to the point where I just could not figure out the end game anymore of drinking and seeing drunken behavior on TV just makes that realization even clearer. It was a frustrating realization for me - drinking made no sense anymore but I could not stop. The best (and hardest) thing I did was talking to my wife about it and having her help me start the process of becoming sober. The "accountable method" is also very powerful.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LaFemme View Post
Congrats drapetomatic! Ok, what gives with your user name?:-)
Edited to add: Ooops - after replying, I realized you were referring to "drapetomatic" with your question.

Durden is a "Fight Club" reference: Tyler Durden - the alter ego that first invigorates but later ruins Jack's life, my "Addictive Voice" if you will...

"This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time." - Fight Club
Old 08-31-2010, 07:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Ethanol Intolerant

"I am Jack's raging bile duct." lol
Old 08-31-2010, 08:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Never settle.

Welcome to the secular side! There are a few people on this thread who don't normally post in Sec-Ville. Good to have you all here, whether you're just dropping by or plan on sticking around.

The reality show thing works for me. I kinda like Intervention, especially the real train wrecks like Allison the computer duster huffer girl. It's terrifying that it can get that bad, and I don't want to go back. I see shadows of myself in those people.

My problem with the accountability method is that honestly, I'm really only accountable to myself. I've never had much of a guilt complex, either.

Occasionally I like to pick a Thursday night, about 10:45, and drive down The Strip here in town. It's a little section of town just off campus that has a high concentration of bars. The college kids are there, and it's jam-packed with idiotic behavior. It always reminds me why I had to quit.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I used to watch Intervention quite regularly and although I never got "that bad" it was/is a great reminder of where I would have been had I not stopped. I also find reading a lot here on SR of the stories people tell helps me to keep my guard up and protect my recovery.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey Durden! I actually assumed your user name was an actual name, I was at least partially correct:-)

Someone made a thread not too long ago about sharing worst blackouts...scared me to death...I never had blackouts (fuzzy memories, sure) thankfully...I'm sure if I went back that's where I would end up though!