Positive Tidbits

Old 08-01-2010, 10:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Never settle.

Positive Tidbits

I was on another thread last night yaking about how I have problems with thinking negatively. So I thought a thread for positive things would be awesome. It can be related to recovery or not, doesn't matter as long as it is positive or will help achieve or maintain a more positive outlook.

So I'll go first:

I finally quit procrastinating and emailed my thesis adviser to get enrollment taken care of for the coming semester. And much to my surprise he wasn't angry at all that I've basically put it off for 6 months, he seemed happy to have me back on his research team.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yeah for you! And great thread idea.

After 4 hours I have finally gotten my toilet workin again...I know its not to exciting in the grand scheme of things but it sure is a positive thing for me:-)
Old 08-01-2010, 12:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well, AS opposed to it not working It could be considered exciting.
I am excited about being sober another day! My memory is finally coming back, I feel great, I want to do things again, I am enjoying my children and grandchildren more like I used to. I’m losing weight and working out on the ranch more. Actually rode one of the horses this morning ( been 2 years ) Gonna haul 300 bales of hay later when it cools a little. My attitude toward life is better, I could go on and on... Just let me say- I never thought life could be this enjoyable with out copping a buzz...Lucke
Old 08-01-2010, 01:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Never settle.

Awesome, glad you're enjoying being sober luckedog. And LaFemme I'm glad you got your toilet working again (I've always wanted to say that. LOL)

We've started well, those were exactly the sorts of posts I was hoping for.
Old 08-01-2010, 02:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Got the lawn mowed, taking the dogs to the park and having corn on the cob and homegrown tomatoes for dinner. Best of all tomorrow I will have 3 weeks sober. Can't buy booze on undays in my state so there is no way I won't make it to tomorrow:-)
Old 08-01-2010, 02:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

LaFemme, congrats on three weeks!! That is A great indication you CAN attain your goal. I wish you all the best! I have learned that success is A day by day battle, but it makes it a lot easier if you have a personal resolve! A determination to win over alcohol.
I see that determination in your posts, it's inspiring, thank you!!.......Lucke
Old 08-01-2010, 05:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks Lucke! I never had it before, so it feels like a gift to have it this time:-)
Old 08-01-2010, 05:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

So glad to see the great things that are happening for everyone, here are a few of mine:

- I am on day 9 of being sober.

- Every morning for the past few days, I have woken up full of energy, having slept well and looking forward to the day.

- I am enjoying being hydrated all the time now that I'm drinking water and fruit juices instead of alcoholic beverages.

- Things are going really well at work lately. I made an important presentation last week and did very well with it (I was complimented by several higher-ups) and I think the newfound energy and vitality I have from being sober had a lot to do with that.

- Yesterday I dug out an old amethyst pendant from my jewelry box, shined it up and am now wearing it around my neck as a reminder to myself of my commitment to staying sober. I recently learned that amethyst symbolizes sobriety (apparently the word "amethyst" comes from an old Greek word for "not drunk".) It's nice to have a physical reminder of my commitment, even though no one but me knows why I am wearing it (and now all of you.)

-- SBTS
Old 08-01-2010, 06:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Way to go SBTS:-)

I have an amethyst pendant somewhere, now I've got to go lookin for it...its probably in my parents safe deposit box!
Old 08-01-2010, 08:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

soberbythesea, You are doing very well! It is AMAZING to me how much clearer we think when the booze finally wears off! More enegery, less guilt and depression, a lot more time to do productive things! I love it!!
Old 08-04-2010, 05:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Popping back in here cause I like this thread...

Everything is going great today... 12 days sober. I stayed at home partly because I was genuinely feeling a bit under the weather, and partly to avoid the big annual boozefest company outing, which was today. My husband stayed at home with me too because he's a bit under the weather as well. I think we are both feeling better now after resting all day. I spent the morning on the SR forums and the afternoon curled up in bed with a stack of magazines Then H and I had a pizza dinner together and actually ended up having a really good talk. Although I'm still not sure he's 100% accepted that I'm not planning on drinking ever again (and who could blame him really, it's only been 12 days), I think he is actually a lot more understanding and supportive of this effort than I had previously given him credit for. So that was a relief. He says he will support me in whatever I want to do.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Awww, sounds like you had a great day SBTS...I'm still feeling rotten, on antibiotics, but I did watch the Princess Bride:-)
Old 08-04-2010, 06:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear you’re not feeling well, LaFemme. Hope you get better quick!
Sometimes when I get sick it makes me want to drink (mostly boredom cause I can’t do much) Boredom has always been a "trigger" for me. I usually just tough it out. Try to stay mentally active and distracted. A good movie is always a good way to pass the time. Hoping your recovery will be rapid and complete!.............Lucke
Old 08-04-2010, 06:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Ethanol Intolerant

Originally Posted by LaFemme View Post
... but I did watch the Princess Bride:-)
Inconceivable, I almost included a quote from that movie in a post today:

Man in Black: All right. Where is the poison? The battle of wits has begun. It ends when you decide and we both drink, and find out who is right... and who is dead.

Vizzini: But it's so simple. All I have to do is divine from what I know of you: are you the sort of man who would put the poison into his own goblet or his enemy's? Now, a clever man would put the poison into his own goblet, because he would know that only a great fool would reach for what he was given. I am not a great fool, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But you must have known I was not a great fool, you would have counted on it, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me.

Man in Black: You've made your decision then?

Yes, yes I have, both goblets have wine which is poison for me.

Sorry you are still feeling like ca-ca.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:19 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I learned how to reverse park

Congrats on 3 weeks too Lafemme, and regarding the amethysts, did you know back in the old days the romans used to put amethysts in their goblets because they believed the stones powers would stop them getting drunk!
Old 08-05-2010, 06:33 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hey recycle, what an apt quote from the movie:-)

Ainslie, I used to drink to make myself feel better when I was sick...the theory being that enough booze in my body would kill what ails me.

Maybe I am getting through all my triggers early on?

Still feeling icky, although it is better in the morning and gets worse as the day goes on.

Worst part is that I have a time sensitive work project so haven't been able to take much time off to heal. Plus my head feels funny, like I've got a hangover.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:52 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I got really sick about 3 weeks after giving up.....I think it was my body getting used to living without alcohol....it kinda goes into shock for a while. I also maintained while I was drinking that I never got sick because the alcohol virtually killed anything threatening my immune system hope you feel better soon.....

anyhow more positivity hmmmm well im happy about being up all night doing washing cos im going away on holiday tomorrow - no housework for 10 days
Old 08-05-2010, 06:12 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

...the romans used to put amethysts in their goblets because they believed the stones powers would stop them getting drunk!
So this is how I know I'm an alcoholic. I read this and was very confused. "Why would anyone drink other than to get drunk!?", thought my wonderful brain... :-/
Old 08-05-2010, 06:41 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Have a great vacation Ainslie:-)

Hi Carlri...maybe they wanted to drink longer? I always wanted to get buzzed, but in the end it seemed I went srraight from sober to smashed, no in between.

Today, I remebered I love music...sounds silly but in the last few years I practically stopped listening, today I got a cd with bebel gilberto, listening to it, driving with the windows down on a perfect summers evening, made me feel.happy and light, despite the fact that I am still sick, although slightly better:-)
Old 08-05-2010, 07:18 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Never settle.

Glad for this thread today. Honestly, I had a horrible day. But reading some positive stuff for other people helped. Thanks, everyone