Fantabulous Secular Connections Check-in Part VIII

Old 09-09-2010, 06:40 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  
Never settle.

Checking in. The depression from a couple days ago passed, but I've been tired ever since. Just plain exhausted, really. I slept most of the day today and I could go back to sleep right now. My apartment looks like a tornado went through it. And I doubt I'll be getting called back on the interview I did this afternoon. Oh well, roll on I guess. Ack! What is going on with me?!
Old 09-09-2010, 07:11 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Changes in season can unsettle us...maybe that is what is going on...get some sleep and try and be active tomorrow...hugs!
Old 09-09-2010, 09:00 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

So happy to see a new face!

Welcome to Sober Recovery, Alyosha.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:46 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  
Never settle.

Thanks, LaFemme. Feeling better today, and perhaps you are right. This all started at the same time as a sudden change in the weather, from late summer sunny to rain and clouds. I woke up this morning not tired, so that's a nice change. Gonna find something to do... maybe clean my apartment? Haha.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:52 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

I have felt the same way the last few days. No energy, no desire to do anything…Just blaaahhh. Sure it will pass though! Looking for better days ahead!!
Old 09-10-2010, 05:05 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

i must work out really hard tomorrow. i need 1.5-2 hours on incline treadmill then a full chest workout.

yeah you rite
Old 09-19-2010, 07:48 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Never settle.

What a day. Drove a friend to Dallas to pick up her car, and instead of coming straight back as I planned I called another friend and hung out in D-town last night. That was fun, but a 5 hour drive each way... it'll wear you out! On the way home this morning my dad called me and said mom was in the hospital. They discharged her this evening but they still don't have a clue what's wrong. And tomorrow morning I have an interview for a part-time job, so I'll have a paycheck again (hopefully!) and that's really exciting! LOL I already talked to the store manager twice and I feel pretty good that she wants to hire me. So, fingers crossed!
Old 09-21-2010, 07:30 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Black and Yellow

I have a question and didn't know if I should start a thread so I'll ask here.

What do I say when someone is having rough times and others are sending prayers? I often say that 'you will be in my thoughts' but I feel like that may not be enough? It makes things kinda awkward for me because I can't find the right comforting words.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:23 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

monday night football made me a nervous wreck last night
Old 09-21-2010, 08:38 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  
Black and Yellow

Originally Posted by windysan View Post
monday night football made me a nervous wreck last night
It was a great game!! I was rooting for N.O. even though I live in S.F.

I'm a Steelers fan though!
Old 09-21-2010, 09:09 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by SlvrMag View Post

What do I say when someone is having rough times and others are sending prayers? I often say that 'you will be in my thoughts' but I feel like that may not be enough? It makes things kinda awkward for me because I can't find the right comforting words.
I've used "sending you healing thoughts" as an alternative. I still feel awkward using that tho.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:57 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  
Never settle.

Offering comfort to someone is awkward no matter what. For most situations I say "You're in my thoughts." Usually it's best to keep it simple. I've also heard "All the best," "Go in peace," or "I'm sorry for your trouble." As far as it not being enough, all an offer to pray for someone really is, in terms of actions taken, is an offer to think about them. So why should "You're in my thoughts" not be enough?

Now... if someone could explain why I feel compelled to say "bless you" when someone sneezes? LOL
Old 09-21-2010, 08:11 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Gneiss...you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers:-) I hope your Mom is alright and that it is nothing too serious...I had a five hour drive today as well, I usually try to put a few days between each direction but I've also done it in one day...no fun at all.

Regarding the question of what to say in lieu of offering "prayers" I agree that prayers are the same thing as thoughts...I sometimes feel awkward offering "prayers" unless I know for sure the person wont take offense...knowing how Gneiss feels about such thing I had to send my prayers;-p. Regardless they are sincere:-)
Old 09-21-2010, 09:33 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Never settle.

Thanks, LaFemme My mom is home from the hospital but they aren't really sure what happened to her. More doctors tomorrow to figure it out... hopefully!

It never offends me to be offered prayers. It means the person wants the best for me and that's how they express it. None of us finds as much kindness as he should in life, why turn it down because you don't like how it's dressed?

One of my drug buddies called me up today. We had a close friendship before we did drugs, when I quit we virtually quit speaking (we had a weird thing when we were using where we both enabled each other. It was horrible, a positive feedback loop that caused each of us to keep using drugs and using each other. And so it seemed our friendship had to end). He's been clean and sober for 3 days now and wanted to ask how to handle it. I'm so proud of him. He said so many times that he'd quit but he hasn't been c&s for 3 days in the last year, probably longer. No kidding, it was a tough conversation and I've been exhausted since I hung up the phone.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:42 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

"I'm hoping it works out for the best, you can always contact me if you need someone to talk to"
Old 10-01-2010, 07:20 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  
Ethanol Intolerant

So I have been in relapse mode for the past few weeks. Not using heavy, but not abstinent either. Someone finally called BS on me about the time I was calling BS on myself. Group sessions can get a little intense when you do that.

I am back in the saddle and working on my recovery,back at work on a part time basis, and back on the forums to share my nearly limitless wisdom

Speaking of backs, I fell of the roof - by dangy I a am sore., it takes several minutes to put my shoes on. I thought this crap was not supposed to happen to sober folk. I should probably go to the Dr. but I am not sure I could cowboy-up and skip the pain killers. Not that I have a problem with them, but knowing me me I could...

All the best, and take care of yourselves.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:26 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Never settle.

Welcome back, recycle. I look forward to your nearly limitless wisdom.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:47 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  
Never settle.

It's already shaping up to be one of those days, and I don't even have to wake up for another hour and a half. Yet here I am. *Sigh* Had a ton of stuff to do yesterday evening and didn't get to bed until 1:30 this morning. Part of it was trying to help a friend, and I guess he had trouble with it and he called me at 3:15 this morning and cussed me out (because he made a very simple mistake! Grrr... I'm guessing he was tired and frustrated but that's still no way to treat me, especially since he wanted help). So that was not exactly my preferred method and time to wake up.

Aight, time to go get in a better mood and start the day again, I guess.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:32 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  
Proud Neonephalist

Sorry to hear about your encounter with gravity recycle. As much as it hurts, you're lucky to have walked (hobbled?) away from it.

I got hit in the back by a log in a logging accident once. Got flown off the mountain by helicopter. Worst pain I've ever been in, but that sure beat being paralyzed!!!!

Good to see you peddling that bicycle again

Murray
Old 10-07-2010, 07:47 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Hey gneiss! Where does that person get off calling you at 3:15 in the morning? You have every right to be upset by it. Imo, you should tell that person it is unacceptable to call someone at that hour of the day unless it is life and death.

Hope your day gets better here on out!