Fantabulous Secular Connections Check-in Part VIII

Old 01-18-2012, 02:30 PM
  # 481 (permalink)  
FT

Hi,

I'm "new", even though I've been around SR for over a year. Lordy (sorry) do I wish I had found the secular connections part of the forum when I got here.

As it is, here I am now. Trying to help, usually pissing somebody off, but never at a loss for words.

FT
Old 01-18-2012, 04:31 PM
  # 482 (permalink)  
Shape-Shifting Super-Hero

Hey there, and welcome! Has been a bit slow here, but hopefully, it picks back up! I got beat up a lot in the step threads, felt like it was just a non-stop fight/shouting match, all these angry people telling me off...I had to stop posting on the main Alcohol threads, it was making me even worse, dealing with some of the outrageous attitudes and insults, there.

Well, hope you find this a more accepting and helpful place, sorry to go off on those threads again, but sheesh, just reading them makes me wanna toss my cookies, at how people talk to each other.

Hoping to find some constructive secular approaches to discuss, here!
Old 01-22-2012, 02:34 AM
  # 483 (permalink)  
Never settle.

HP and Bam! Glad to see you two again. Sounds like we're all in some rough patches. It'll get better though. Hugs, and I'm glad you're still around.

FT, welcome to SC. The times I've ventured out into the rest of the forums I've gotten either ignored or it hasn't gone well. And so I just prefer to stay here in SC. I'm glad you found our little corner of SR. It's often kinda quiet, but I remember some excellent discussions and times when these boards are pretty crowded. It comes and goes, so stick around.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:58 AM
  # 484 (permalink)  
Shape-Shifting Super-Hero

Hi gneiss, hi Bam, nice to see you again!

Well, I wish I could say I am making progress, but sadly, not so much. Have not been going as crazy as often, but there have been what I might call 'Keith Richards moments'.

I'd love to have a live, real group to sit down and discuss all this with, free of dogma, father figures and bible-like books...sadly, no such groups exist, which srtrikes me as weird.

I get to feeling very alone, and something about real, live support really seems to a big help for me. I know that sounds funny. I'm not looking for validation, so much as company. I'm a social animal, a human, my avatar is a dog, after all. Left alone, I tend to go to pieces pretty quickly. After effects of being an only child who grew up in the wilderness, maybe, I dunno. But I really, really miss what I don't have: a lot of support, and hugs, and warmth.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:23 PM
  # 485 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

I'm isolated and lonely. A lot of that is because of the depression, but I live in a small town...and I find myself wondering where are all the people who are like me. The internet is my only outlet at this point. I just keep living...I don't know what else to do right now.

I'd like live interaction with people, too. I get that at work, but that's not the kind of interaction I want or need.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:25 AM
  # 486 (permalink)  

I have been on SR on a regular basis but not posting. Reading others posts have helped me a lot, especially TU. I had a year of sobriety on Jan 7th. I want to thank everyone for their posting as it has been a support to me.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:21 AM
  # 487 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations paulamarie

D
Old 01-26-2012, 01:22 AM
  # 488 (permalink)  
Never settle.

Bam, similar situation in regards to feeling isolated. I work night shift in the middle of nowhere, there are not many people around and I'm the only girl out here. You'd think these guys are terrified of women, they hardly talk to me. I noticed once I get lonely I get depressed bad, and that makes me feel more lonely, and I get a bunch of anxiety. It's not as bad as it was a year or so ago, I'm not having panic attacks, but it's not easy.

I moved finally, so all my stuff is in an apartment, but it's 3 hours from where I'm working and when I go there I don't know anyone. So I'm lonely and depressed in a different location. Awesome. I found a secular society in my city, but so far I haven't been home from work during any of their meetings. Argh! I just want some friends.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:04 AM
  # 489 (permalink)  

Checking in again at day 4. I have to make it work like I did last time, for health reasons.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:15 AM
  # 490 (permalink)  

Just wanted to say hi. I just found this thread and like it a lot.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:19 AM
  # 491 (permalink)  

Hi Art
Old 02-01-2012, 08:02 PM
  # 492 (permalink)  

Hi All- quiet over here. How is everyone?
Old 02-02-2012, 02:10 AM
  # 493 (permalink)  

Hi Art, just trying to stay sober.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:51 PM
  # 494 (permalink)  

Hey- how did they day go?
Old 02-02-2012, 10:43 PM
  # 495 (permalink)  
Proud Neonephalist

Hi,

Still sober

Still a 99.99% Atheist leaning Agnostic who sometimes perceives Animistic whisperings.

Still surprised on the 4th of every month to realize I made it another month without drinking. (Coming up to #19!)

Still committed to never having another drink for the rest of my life. Just one drink would equal many, and start that slide towards an ugly, booze soaked early death.

Still thankful for this place, and the people here who helped me. Even though I don't drop in much anymore, it gives me strength knowing it will always be here.

Hope everybody's day ended well
Old 02-04-2012, 05:05 PM
  # 496 (permalink)  
Never settle.

Still here. Still anxious. *Sigh* I'm going to bed.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:13 AM
  # 497 (permalink)  

OK, here I am again. I do best when I check in more often. I'm going to give myself 15minutes minimum everyday to check in. Why did I ever think I didn't have time? I can always find 15 minutes to check in and say "I will never drink again, and I will never change my mind" Terrible how frightening that seems...Down Spot, DOWN!
Old 03-01-2012, 08:28 PM
  # 498 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I haven't posted on this thread for months, but I have been wreaking my own havoc on the other forums and threads. I should check in here more often because there are some very good people here, and you might know them. I am sober now for a whole bunch of days, since late August, and that is a lot. Every time I wake up in the morning, it's another one.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:51 PM
  # 499 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. I am atheist looking for help and support while trying to cut down and then kick this habit. Glad I could find somewhere god and fairy free (can't hardly go on facebook without being preached to.)
Old 03-03-2012, 06:05 PM
  # 500 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Hi Janedoe, welcome to the secular side.

I'm an atheist too. Being such has made addiction treatment maintenance much less complicated for me. I'm glad your here.