Fantabulous Secular Connections Check-in Part VIII

Old 09-19-2011, 06:44 AM
  # 441 (permalink)  
Proud Neonephalist

Hi Louisa5073, welcome aboard

No, I haven't read anything by Gabor Mate...what titles did you find helpful?

Us secular types have found this to be an informative thread;

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...d-edition.html
Old 09-19-2011, 07:34 AM
  # 442 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Hi Louisa5073, welcome to the Secular Connections Forum.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:44 AM
  # 443 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcomes -- Gabor Mate's In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts: Close Encounters with Addiction is based on his work with harm reduction in Vancouver and looks at the neurobiology of addiction, the war on drugs, and strategies for harm reduction and healing.

Murray those links are great -- I know most of them, nice to find them archived together, a good resource.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:16 PM
  # 444 (permalink)  
Shape-Shifting Super-Hero

Hi Louisa, and welcome!

I'll have to see if we have that title here at the library...I happen to work at a university library, of all places. Which is fairly pleasant, though has its plusses and minses; I often feel it sounds better then it actually is. At least as a library assistant, a staff member, and not faculty.

~

Well, the 60 mark passed, and feeling OK, though today I woke up and feel slightly feverish...hopefully this goes away on its own, and it stays slow at work. I think the stress of the car/$$$ situation has been taking its toll, and the long days of commuting/work, 14 hour days, all told, between work, and getting there, and just not much time to relax, what with other issues needing to be addressed. I sure hope the car we are looking at checks out OK in the inspection; this will take a huge load of stress off me, and give me back 2 hours a day lost in waiting for buses and trains.

But I am happy not to wake up hungover anymore, this mild feeling of feverishness and being run-down is a reminder of how truely awful some of those hangovers could be!

Hope all are well,

H. Pup
Old 09-21-2011, 09:09 AM
  # 445 (permalink)  
Never settle.

Husky, hope you feel better soon.

And Louisa, welcome to the secular side.

I continue my semi-nomadic existence. I like my job, and I like it a lot more living in motels than I did when I stayed at my work location all the time. I'm perfecting the art of living in a motel room, I have a hot plate and a little tiny crock pot and that sort of thing, it's a kitchen I can carry in a plastic tub. Figured I'd better get a way to cook, because eating at McDonald's was expensive, and I was in danger of needing new clothing. Yikes!

And work... ahh, work. Did you see on the news? The little tiny town I'm working in even made it to CNN. Oil rig explosion. CNN.com - Breaking News, U.S., World, Weather, Entertainment & Video News Pretty crazy, I worked on that rig last spring, it's only a few miles from where I work now. No lie, it's kinda hit me strangely. No one was hurt, but it will sure make you a little uncomfortable. I go to work every day and put my life in the hands of people who spell book with a u. And I don't mean that disrespectfully; those guys are my friends and co-workers, and not everyone has to be in Mensa. But at the same time, you hope they're quick enough to put two and two together and hit the alarm in time, as the guys on that rig did.

Time for some sleep. Long day.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:35 PM
  # 446 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Gneiss, glad to hear that rig didn't have any employees on it. Scary stuff. Huskypup, working in the University Library. Loved that job. Those were the days. That is where I was first exposed to SMART Recovery. The book AA-Cult or Cure? was constantly reshelved. You get better soon. Louisa5073, glad you are aboard.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:19 PM
  # 447 (permalink)  

Hi Gneiss, glad nobody was hurt. Oil wells and refineries and the like have always scared me, just the smelly, industrial feel of them, and the almost low-tech/sci-fi look. Makes me want an all solar powered car, when this becomes a reality! No more buying gas

Shock, hi there. Yeah, the job is not bad, just not enough money after all the deductions, furluog days, and 4 years of pay freezes, with increasing deductions...so each year, I make less. But other than that, it is not bad! Still, hoping to move on, and get my masters in psych, and a counseling licence.

Looks like we are about to buy a 1999 Toyota Corolla, 89k miles, in a few moments, here. Have the inspection, mechanic looked it over, went to the credit union...now the owner just has to dig out the title from his files...he lives two floors down, in the same building, oddly enough.

I can not wait to be driving again...this car seems a lot more fancy than my last one. AC works, even has a CD player, and the acceleration is a lot better than my last one!

Tomorrow, the dreaded MVA...wish me luck!

Still sober, here, day 60-something.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:18 PM
  # 448 (permalink)  

Good news on the car. You even have AC? Super sweet. I know what you are talking about in regards to working for the state. Mom was a county school librarian, nearly we lived paycheck to paycheck for a while there. When she went on disability we started living better. That's just wrong. She did love her job and had great benefits though. Most important, she loved the job.

Good luck on the MVA. I have to deal with the DMV myself tomorrow as I lost my old Drivers License and the only one I have is expired. I need it for my formal ID on a notarized statement to close out my mother's checking account.

Still up, my arms and legs are jerking. This is a lot worse lately with all the stress. Finally drank two cups of strong coffee, that helps the jerking and so I usually sleep well afterwards.

Somehow I need to get myself together, but its not easy. The fact my mom died of a genetic illness (which in turn brought on the pneumonia she died from) has me over estimating each little movement my body makes. I hate that as well as the depression/anxiety that has been coming on. I am doing okay now, as long as I realize that in grief everything will be over-exaggerated for six months. I have found a forum for those with that illness and children of those who aren't testing for it. I post in that area and they are really nice people who share their experience, strength, hope and frustrations. The woman who told me about the 6 months rule had lost her husband from the side effect of pneumonia as well, yet she still posts regularly giving advice on how to deal with problems she had as a caretaker for her husband. She is my hero.

Last thing, I noticed this thread has less than 50 posts until we hit the big 500 and time to start part IX. So happy to see this thread coming alive again with so many friendly faces.

Last edited by shockozulu; 09-22-2011 at 01:05 AM. Reason: added to post
Old 09-27-2011, 03:13 AM
  # 449 (permalink)  

Doing well.

Hey, it's been awhile.

I've been doing well, college has started and it's been terribly busy. It's kind of stressful and there are times where I contemplate having a drink but I haven't thus far. I'm trying to keep myself busy with school related stuff six days a week and leaving Saturday open for relaxation.

I've also been seeing a counselor about my past substance abuse which just feels good. I still don't know if I've gotten to the core of why I've done what I've done, but it's nice to talk to someone who's unbiased.

This week I'm going for the president position of the schools LGBTA club, I think with my past managerial experience and general compassion toward others I'm a good candidate. I'm kind of concerned if it's the greatest idea by adding more of a workload onto myself, but I feel like it's something I really want to do.

Still running, bought a new pair of shoes last weekend.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:42 AM
  # 450 (permalink)  
Never settle.

Raise-- Awesome! School is where I started drinking. I'm sure you're aware of the pitfalls, be careful out there. But ya know, have some fun too. All work and no play... Good luck on your campaign.

I had the strangest encounter recently, where this guy I met through work told me- unprompted- that he used to be a drug counselor; I guess he used to work in an in-patient treatment center. I did not share my past with him, there's no way I'm telling people at work about all the dope I used to do. But he started telling me-- bragging about it, really-- that he can spot a druggie a mile away and he knows what they look like, he knows the type and basically, in a nutshell, a sweet little blonde girl like me couldn't possibly understand. It was surreal.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:44 AM
  # 451 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gneiss View Post
a sweet little blonde girl like me couldn't possibly understand. It was surreal.
I can't stand people who claim to have it all figured out.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:24 AM
  # 452 (permalink)  
Never settle.

Mostly it was amusing. Apparently I don't have the 'look' of a dope addict, whatever that means. I didn't say anything because I know this guy at work and it's just not worth the risk, but I really wanted to scold him. He should know better than that, he used to work in a treatment facility, right? Maybe that's why he doesn't work there any more. Now he works with rocks, he might be better suited to that.

Meanwhile, I have a friend who just got her master's in clinical psychology. Did you know the drug and alcohol counseling certification is the easiest of all certifications? That's what she's doing first because it has the lowest standards, then she can work on the other ones after she gets a job. Somehow this does not give me more confidence in the counseling field.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:02 PM
  # 453 (permalink)  

I have a family member who is working toward her certification in drug and alcohol counseling. She didn't need that much schooling. I guess most of what she learns is during the hundreds of hours in her internship? All I know is that it scares me how little she learned.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:46 AM
  # 454 (permalink)  

Today is not the best day, that's for sure. This ******' beast has been rather active today. That really has not been the case this way and I sure hope it's not going to stay this way. Anyway, I've been feeling envy for other people being able to drink in the park, and generally seeing them enjoying this stuff.

Damn, how much I hate envying others. When I was drinking I was envying because people had so much better lifes and I couldn't possibly have that, now I am envying every one drinking. Oh wait, it is envying them, right?

Still glad I found AVRT and RR though, it'll get me through.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:15 PM
  # 455 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

aNewDawn, you got that right. You are not envying them, because you know what that bottle of wine in the park leads to. It is indeed The Beast who is still yearning for that early afternoon buzz.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:24 PM
  # 456 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by aNewDawn View Post
Today is not the best day, that's for sure. This ******' beast has been rather active today. That really has not been the case this way and I sure hope it's not going to stay this way. Anyway, I've been feeling envy for other people being able to drink in the park, and generally seeing them enjoying this stuff.

Damn, how much I hate envying others. When I was drinking I was envying because people had so much better lifes and I couldn't possibly have that, now I am envying every one drinking. Oh wait, it is envying them, right?
freshstart57 has it right; he seems to be learning quickly. :-)

Is it you envying them, or IT (your Beast) envying them? Who cares what your Beast thinks? Let it squirm.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:05 PM
  # 457 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by gneiss
Apparently I don't have the 'look' of a dope addict, whatever that means.
LOL that is hilarious...I have gotten that before too.."yer too purdy to be a alkyholic"...
Old 10-03-2011, 05:28 PM
  # 458 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gneiss View Post
Meanwhile, I have a friend who just got her master's in clinical psychology. Did you know the drug and alcohol counseling certification is the easiest of all certifications? That's what she's doing first because it has the lowest standards, then she can work on the other ones after she gets a job. Somehow this does not give me more confidence in the counseling field.
That's funny. I'm planning on also getting my Masters in Psychology, and going into the counseling filed. What is odd, is that I really have no desire to specialize in addiction...I mean if it comes up, I'll deal with it on a case by case basis, but there is no particular attraction in that area, for me.

What I would most like to focus on are issues of human sexuality, of helping people to feel better about their bodies, and their selves, from singles to couples, to help lessen guilt, to demystify, to add to the amount of pleasure in the word, and to reduce the amount of harms.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:38 PM
  # 459 (permalink)  
Never settle.

Just missing all my friends tonight. Working with a girl I went to school with and never especially got along with (no fights, I just can't stand her voice. I tried to stay away). And this is how I managed to volunteer myself to drive 2 hours to babysit for a friend next day I have off.

Yeah, I'm totally having an Adventures in Babysitting flashback...
Old 10-09-2011, 09:38 PM
  # 460 (permalink)  

Doing okay, not great but not bad either. Really been playing the hell out of the new Human League album Credo, their first in 10 years. If I had bought the vinyl copy I'd be replacing it already. I can't believe they still have it after all these years.