Fantabulous Secular Connections Check-in Part VIII

Old 06-16-2010, 04:44 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by topspin View Post
Alera,

There's a John Prine song; ....Hello in There ....that's easy enough, even for me, to play. It's a very unusual song that really addresses this very situation.

Just went to utube and heard Natalie Merchant and Micheal Stipe cover this one, .........probably know this song to well, , ,

damn , it really gets to me.

everything John Prine does is awsome..i love oldest baby in the world best right now
Old 06-16-2010, 08:27 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Black and Yellow

Originally Posted by gneiss View Post

Good one gneiss!! Thanks for the laugh!
Old 06-20-2010, 02:41 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Almost woke up the house. Anyone who has ever owned a cat knows the truth in this! Thanks so much for the laugh this morning.

The last two days I've been listening to Eminem's new album Recovery. Its really good and I've been enjoying it.

There is a little lake near where I live, so I'll walk there and sit in the wildlife with Recovery blasting in my IPOD while I'm taking pictures of the ducks, birds, and other nature scenes while I listen. The bunnies and snakes are still a bit quick for me to capture with the lens.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:58 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Smile Don't Give Up!

Bam, I’m sorry to hear about your uncle. The thing about death, it’s so f*cking permanent. 

It’s good to see everybody. My life has been insane, but sober. I got fired (for the first time in my life, "OUCH") from my night audit job in January. I’ve come to understand that I have no tolerance for idiots, thieves and drug addicts. Rather ironic, don’t you think?

My husband and I took a bombin’ camping trip around New Mexico and Arizona, but at this stage in life, tents and sleeping bags should be novelty items. I graduated in May at the ripe ol’ age of 50. I lost 15 pounds on Atkins. But I couldn’t find a job to save my life!

Dozens of resumes out there, not one call back. So, a local paper from a very small neighboring town advertised for a writer. It was only 15 hours per week, but I’d at least get to work in the field in which I majored, and some money is better than no money. I was still pretty sure I wouldn’t get it (Geez, I was so depressed!). So, I offered to work for free. I told the editor that I we could do something like a 90-day internship, and then if she liked me, she could hire me. I felt like a little piece of rotting doggy doo, and I had to do start doing something constructive (and *not* depressing, like job hunting). I said if she didn’t like my work, at least she would enjoy a little free labor, and I would get to claim the experience.

With my first full-length feature article, the owner of the paper was sold. He nominated me for a state press award, and they took me on full time doing what I actually like doing - writing. 

The money is terrible, naturally, but it will pay the bills.

So, don’t give up folks, and don’t be afraid to take risks and do crazy things, like offering to work for free.

And don’t drink or use. Dreams can’t come true when you’re a resident of la-la land.

Love to all.
Old 06-20-2010, 05:12 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

topspin, wonderful song. I really appreciate you mentioning it.

My mother is in the hospital today. She has COPD and gets pneumonia a couple times a year. This time she has a new doctor at the nursing home. They wanted her to go to the hospital early in the week, but he said that she could be treated just fine with medication where she was. Well, guess who ended up being wrong. She had to suffer for most of the week before finally being sent to the hospital. I'm not too happy about this right now.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:07 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Never settle.

Originally Posted by Alera View Post
The bunnies and snakes are still a bit quick for me to capture with the lens.
I took these last summer (and it was pure luck! Not much skill involved, since I really don't have any skill). Snakes are kinda hard to capture. The first one, a king snake, I think, I just happened upon and he didn't seem to care what I did. The second, a copperhead, was pretty furious that my dog had already stepped on him, so he was striking at everything. I really don't suggest taking a photograph of a venomous, striking snake while trying to keep track of a hyperactive border collie.

And this was from tonight:
Old 06-20-2010, 08:27 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Black and Yellow

Doggies are very cooperative though =)

This is my baby, her name is Sequoya

Old 06-21-2010, 12:53 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Never settle.

How cute is she!!!!

Here's my Borderline Collie, as my dad calls her (pound puppy, but known to be half border collie and 1/4 each Blue Heeler and Australian Shepherd). :P

I think there's a dog lovers forum on here...
Old 06-29-2010, 11:38 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Great photos all!

Just checking in quickly here. Been having some major family illnesses (mom and step-dad) to keep me busy. I do check in even if I'm not hitting the "thanks" button.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:33 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Never settle.

No worries, . Seems like SR is just kinda slow at the moment anyway.

I had a really horrible day at work yesterday. My supervisor (who was a decent enough person when I started working there) has basically become mildly abusive. She now thinks it's ok to cuss at people just because she doesn't like them, and she's gossipy and constantly has negative comments about everything and everyone. I'm not the usual target but if she'll talk about everyone else to me I'm pretty confident she's talking about me to everyone else. She's vindictive, too. And I don't feel like I can tell her boss because it will be obvious who did it and I will become the target. It's immensely frustrating; I don't want to quit because as far as having flexible work hours for the school year you really can't beat it, but I'm starting to think it's my only alternative.

I'm fighting the urge to call in sick and go look for a new job.

Last edited by Ann; 12-09-2010 at 02:48 AM. Reason: name discretion
Old 07-02-2010, 08:58 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

gneiss, been keeping you in my healing thoughts regarding the work thing. I know another man who moved to town for his job here, and eight months later he had to quit for similar reasons. Take care of yourself, okay?
Old 07-02-2010, 01:03 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

You don't want to go unarmed in this job market. It's really hard out there and opportunities are rare.

Maybe a better plan is to shore-up support, not so that the supervisor will change (people rarely chance much, IMO) but just so you will feel less alone, and not crazy, and not singled-out - enough support to get you through this hard time with as little pain as possible.

But don't quit unless you have another job to go to. It's just to hard in the job market - there are many fewer jobs than people applying. Don't let some brainless ass*ole make you so uncomfortable that you hurt yourself. Nobody should get that kind of rent-space in your brain anyway. You have the absolute power to dictate how much of your thought processes any given person takes up. If you think about, that's about all the power any of us have in life. Don't let go of yours.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:19 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Never settle.

Thanks guys. I've really just kept to myself for a few days, quit taking my breaks in the break room, etc. She was in a mood this morning so I just disappeared. There are a couple people who have never taken breaks with everyone else since I can remember, and I guess that's why! I've got a couple short road trips and camping trips coming up in the next few weeks and once school has started again I won't be around as much. So I think I can survive the last 6 weeks of the summer. I'm glad grad school is a temporary condition.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:56 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

checking in...where is everyone? We need a little more fun and games in secular! Well maybe not fun and games, just some discussion if you like. I'm too tired to come up with a subject for a new thread, but I'll sleep on it.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:53 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

I'm still here and still as dumb as a bag of 10 penny nails.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:05 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Proud Neonephalist

I'm here now, but will be off to work by the time you read this. When you do read something new by me, I'll be back here, and not there. By 'here' I mean in this chair, not this point in space as the Earth is continuously rolling and scooting through the Universe, so when I say 'here' in that sense, 'here' will always be way back there.

Murray
Old 07-20-2010, 08:33 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Murray4x5 View Post
I'm here now, but will be off to work by the time you read this. When you do read something new by me, I'll be back here, and not there. By 'here' I mean in this chair, not this point in space as the Earth is continuously rolling and scooting through the Universe, so when I say 'here' in that sense, 'here' will always be way back there.

Murray
I think I follow you, but maybe this, "my" point in space is before you, so maybe you're following me?

I follow Windy at any rate. Hello everyone, glad you're still here and there!
Old 07-20-2010, 08:59 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I'm here or over there traveling the road to a happy fate .

I try to stay confused as much as possible because once I think I have it all figured out, I'm lost again ...LOL.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:41 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Never settle.

Haven't been on SR in about a week. I've been way busy. Had friends staying with me, and went camping in Colorado for 4 days. It went really well, but I really didn't miss or think about SR at all. For so long it was my lifeline, it's where I went when I needed help or a vent or was thinking I wanted booze or drugs.

Not sure what to think of this.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:06 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Haven't been on SR in about a week. I've been way busy. Had friends staying with me, and went camping in Colorado for 4 days. It went really well, but I really didn't miss or think about SR at all. For so long it was my lifeline, it's where I went when I needed help or a vent or was thinking I wanted booze or drugs.

Not sure what to think of this.
I hope it means you're much better