Fantabulous Secular Connections Check-in Part VIII

Old 08-12-2011, 05:42 PM
  # 361 (permalink)  

Gneiss, I work nights also and have off and on for many years. I rarely get great sleep and when I'm sick it's a hundred times worse. When my sleep schedule is thrown off for any reason- or I just can't fall asleep at all which happens often-it can change my whole perspective on things going on in my life.....and not in a good way.

Drink plenty of water. I like herbal teas when I am fighting a nasty cold.

Hope everyone has a great night. Back to work for me then 3 nights off
Old 08-13-2011, 06:47 AM
  # 362 (permalink)  
Never settle.

Thanks guys.

Feeling better. I hardly slept yesterday, had some stuff to take care of so I had to go do that and of course sleep always gets sacrificed. But I think sunshine did me some good. I'm tired but I feel a thousand times better.

And yes, there's no crying in the oil patch :P
Old 08-13-2011, 03:12 PM
  # 363 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Hi gneiss I can so relate to that "everything is a joke" feeling that can happen when I'm sick, overtired, etc...hate when that happens... So glad you are feeling better!

peace,
SD
Old 08-15-2011, 12:39 AM
  # 364 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

here. having major headaches lately. still pluggin and not dopin.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:44 AM
  # 365 (permalink)  

Windysan, sorry to hear about the headaches..hope they let up soon.

Hope everyone has a great Monday. The rain has let up and I'm goin' bikin' today!!
Old 08-15-2011, 02:21 AM
  # 366 (permalink)  

Morning everyone,

I thought I'd jump on this thread as I'm a practicing heathen.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:04 AM
  # 367 (permalink)  

I've been okay, stressed out. I relapsed... I had two mixed drinks last night. It really stressed me out, and it caused a sort of insomnia. I'm not unhappy of all the lost days I may have procured being sober, I've never been one to keep count, but just the empty calories consumed, and really wondering why I had drinks after all of this time. It wasn't even refreshing, just sort of maddening.

I tossed and turned, and eventually had gotten to sleep. I'm not hungover but I feel like I need to stay inside today. I'm going to walk to the gym later though.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:25 AM
  # 368 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

RaiseAnchor, hope things work out for the better.

I haven't had anything like perfect abstinence in my addiction treatments. What I do have is an overall progression to better living with striving for total abstinence. I don't count days, I make the days count.

As for my check-in, I doing so much better by staying away from the other forums that have the 'believers' posting on them. As a G*dless heathen I used to feel infected by reading certain post, prompting me to fight the infection. Now I'm staying away from the contaminated post, and thus avoiding serious diseases...LOL.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:28 AM
  # 369 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zencat View Post
RaiseAnchor, hope things work out for the better.

I haven't had anything like perfect abstinence in my addiction treatments. What I do have is an overall progression to better living with striving for total abstinence. I don't count days, I make the days count.

As for my check-in, I doing so much better by staying away from the other forums that have the 'believers' posting on them. As a G*dless heathen I used to feel infected by reading certain post, prompting me to fight the infection. Now I'm staying away from the contaminated post, and thus avoiding serious diseases...LOL.
I'm OK as long as someone doesn't try to guilt trip me into their particular belief system/program. That just makes me feel awkward.

Still, different things work for different people.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:32 PM
  # 370 (permalink)  
Shape-Shifting Super-Hero

Hi Elvis, greeting from another heathen! Nice to see you here, and feel free to share as much or as little as you feel comfortable with. Me, I'm what you might call a pagan with a small c, the nature loving, Tao sort who isn't into practicing any particular rituals, or what not.

In other news: 26 days sober, today, still waiting to hear about my car, and also dumping Verizon now that my 2 year deal is up. It is like ending a deal with the Devil!
Old 08-16-2011, 05:47 PM
  # 371 (permalink)  

Wow I try and try to let go of my detest of a certain group of people and the toxins still leek out of me.

Originally Posted by ElvisInASkirt
I'm OK as long as someone doesn't try to guilt trip me into their particular belief system/program. That just makes me feel awkward.

Still, different things work for different people.
I truly hope someday I'll get there where you are at with that stuff.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:38 AM
  # 372 (permalink)  

Wow I try and try to let go of my detest of a certain group of people and the toxins still leek out of me.

I truly hope someday I'll get there where you are at with that stuff.
I can still feel resentful of the people who say that God is the only way to recovery.

But now I know it's the only way that they know and if it works for them then it works for them.

I will not be powerless over alcohol whilst I still have the strength and arms to slap those who try to force it upon me!
Old 08-17-2011, 01:06 PM
  # 373 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ElvisInASkirt View Post
I can still feel resentful of the people who say that God is the only way to recovery.

But now I know it's the only way that they know and if it works for them then it works for them.
Admittedly, there seems to be a kind of game being played with people who claim that God is the only way to recovery, namely, "I'm only trying to help you". Then, when you slip up, they can play, "Now I've got you!". On the surface level, the exchanges seem to be directed on a reasonable adult to adult level; beneath the surface level, it is as if a scowling parental figure is chiding and then punishing a child. Some people are very good at playing these games, and spend their entire lives doing so, unaware.

I've been re-reading the book Games People Play, by Erik Berne, a seminal book work the field of psychology called transactional analysis, in which he looks at how people find meaning in life via roles, scripts, and by playing certain 'games' from which they derive a psychological benefit, a way to bring their lives meaning.

Oh, he also has a chapter describing 'Alcoholic' as a game, which was quite interesting.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:11 PM
  # 374 (permalink)  

"Treat everybody you meet like God in drag."--Ram Dass
Old 08-17-2011, 02:29 PM
  # 375 (permalink)  

Also, god spelled backwardness is dog, and I develop instant dyslexia every time I see the word god, such that it is spelled backwards in my mind.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:30 PM
  # 376 (permalink)  

Hi fellow heathens!

Husky... did you ever get your car/insurance stuff worked out??
Old 08-17-2011, 03:42 PM
  # 377 (permalink)  
Eyes Open, No Fear

Just found this thread today. Hurray - go heathens. Think I will hang out for a bit, too.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:56 PM
  # 378 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
Hi fellow heathens!

Husky... did you ever get your car/insurance stuff worked out??
Urg, that is still a big stress. I called the insurance company again today, and they still gave no answers...said they were still waiting on the police report. This is getting kinda stressful, as I have no real way to move on to getting another car, until this is settled...so it has been a major frustration. Still not drinking, though, day 27 on that, but I feel like punching somebody at that insurance place! It's been since last Monday that I first called them.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:41 PM
  # 379 (permalink)  

It was a good weekend, got stuff done yet took my time so as to keep it all mellow. Life is good when my attitude is good too.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:44 PM
  # 380 (permalink)  

Cerberus, always good to see a fellow heathen in recovery.