Fantabulous Secular Connections Check-in Part VIII

Old 07-25-2011, 09:05 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  
Shape-Shifting Super-Hero

Hi Debs, yeah, it was sad, and gave me a wake up call. Well, 5 days, and no drinks...I was drinking two nights a week, before, and a lot each of those nights...usually one on the weekend, and one before a stressful day. So hoping to see the weekend out, with no drinks, and hit 10 on Staurday. Feeling OK, a bit jumpy here and again, but not horrible, by any means.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:56 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Good Morning All!
Old 07-26-2011, 08:21 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  
Proud Neonephalist

Good Morning Indeed!
Old 07-26-2011, 02:40 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Wait, what's a limbic system? Are they expensive, like the stuff Mac makes, like an I-Pad? Sounds costly! :P
Old 07-26-2011, 03:08 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  
Proud Neonephalist

Originally Posted by HuskyPup View Post
Wait, what's a limbic system? Are they expensive, like the stuff Mac makes, like an I-Pad? Sounds costly! :P
Limbic System:

A hand-me-down reptilianesque glob of ancient grey matter responsible for your most basic pleasures and desires...or...the newest whiz-bang sure-fire method of losing weight, quadrupling your savings, and finding Mr/Ms Right.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:18 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  

I think I have the first model you mentioned! Well, tonight marks 7 days! I'm going to go to an agnostic meeting tomorrow, and tie up a few loose financial ends...and hopefully not be too hot, I think it's supposed to be 97 I am not a fan of the heat...
Old 07-29-2011, 07:32 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

I've been doing well enough. I haven't drank in a long time, I guess I'm a little nervous about college starting. They have free substance abuse counseling on campus, which, while I have abstained from drinking I guess it would be kind of nice to be able to talk about it with someone.

I'm 24 so I'm kind of late on the train to go to school again, but I think I'm more well prepared for it now than I would have been at 18. I've honestly had dreams about being in the wrong class at the wrong time though.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:09 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  
Proud Neonephalist

Originally Posted by RaiseAnchor View Post
I've honestly had dreams about being in the wrong class at the wrong time though.
I took a Fine Arts course at a college, and had to sign up for a couple academic courses as part of the program. The day came, and as I joined the end of a loooong line to sign up for a course I remembered a dream from the night before. In the dream I had stood in a loooong line only to find out it was the wrong line for the wrong course. I chuckled to myself, "Ha ha, pretty funny...there's no way this could be a wrong line for a wrong course...could it?"

Yup, it was the wrong line D'OH!!!

College can be crazy. People away from home for the first time. Lots of drinking and drugging. Bad craziness. I'd start my day, every day with SR and a cup of coffee; that way active sobriety is always a part of your day. Maybe you could start something like a "Dry Friday Night" meet-up at a campus coffee shop, or some other type of non-drinking get together? There should be quite a few people there who don't drink, don't want to babysit their drunk friends, don't want to get caught up in the drama or fights, and don't want to hold peoples heads out of the toilet while they puke their guts out.

Congrats on going to college by the way. I went in my mid twenties and walked away with a much richer experience because of it.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:54 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Murray4x5 View Post
College can be crazy. People away from home for the first time. Lots of drinking and drugging. Bad craziness.
Right on, I don't plan on getting involved in the lot of it. Being 24, I'm just a tad too old for the people underage drinking, and otherwise, I've experienced the bar scene and partying and I guess in some ways I'm glad I've gotten that out of my system at this point.

Besides, I really want to keep a clear head and do well in school, I had dropped out of high school and didn't really understand the value of an education. It took me a long time to understand this, and the bleak scenarios that sometimes follow high school drop outs never really happened to me.

Thankfully I'm not living or having to move away from home, my apartment is maybe three miles or so from campus. I also picked up a part time human resources work study job on campus to make some extra money in between classes.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:29 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  
Never settle.

I did college at 18 and I was straight as an arrow, didn't drink, didn't party. I went back for another bachelor's degree at 25 and drank like a fish and got hooked on dope. Wrong people, wrong situations. Actually part of the problem was that I was 25. I didn't really have much in common with the 18-20 y/o kids I was in class with. Which meant that the rather motley crew I started hanging out with who were my age, rather than being Serious Non-Traditional Students, were a ragtag group of people who had drank enough to fail their classes and spend 6 or 7 years in school, a couple who had spent some time in either the army or prison and never completely lost the hard-living style they picked up in those places, etc. It was a high price to pay but I learned that you must be vigilant of who you are spending time with. School is no ivory tower.

That said, all it takes is staying out of the bars and away from anyone who could potentially drag you down, and it looks like you've figured out how to do that. Good luck!
Old 07-31-2011, 01:02 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Hi gneiss, how are things with you? Good to see you, as always. It's been a while, but did you finish your studies?

Things are moving along here, and I'm not feeling bad. I did go to a few agnostic meetings, mainly to have people to talk to, and it helped, but have been taking a mixed approach, and working though many different issues. Day 11 today, first day 11 in a long time.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:34 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Feeling good today. I've started working on getting to sleep earlier so that on Tuesdays and Thursdays I can be up for my eight AM class later this month. Thankfully I hardly ever work nights, so it helps make this process a little easier.

I'm going to give running my all this week. I've been slacking and only doing about 5k twice a week the past couple of weeks. My school has a cross country team, but I'm not quite sure if I'm on the level for that yet though.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:13 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Just dropping by to say

Hello!
Old 08-03-2011, 09:27 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  
Proud Neonephalist

Cool. There's a lot more going on in there than I thought...I figured it was empty!
Old 08-03-2011, 10:50 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Good Afternoon!
Old 08-03-2011, 12:45 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Hey everyone, well, day 13 and a half, here...just shy of two weeks! And feeling really good. Having been taking a mixed approach, and having good results.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:57 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Doing well in my recovery. Work...not so much. Feeling downright pizzy this morning. Just a vent. Thanks for listening.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:58 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  
Proud Neonephalist

Originally Posted by anew View Post
Feeling downright pizzy this morning. Just a vent. Thanks for listening.
Yikes! I don't know, but I think the Internet will get a bad reputation if you let loose with any more tirades such as that blistering hottie
Old 08-05-2011, 12:16 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Hi anew, hope the work situation blows over, and you feel better.

Hi Murray, I am not sure we have met, but nice to see you here

I am so happy. It is day 15, and I just made an omelet, and flipped it up in the air and back over into the pan, and it came out perfect! Without sticking even. This does not always happen, but I am getting better. So now, I am enjoying a 2 egg omelet with baby portbellos, sharp cheddar, spinach and red onions for breakfast/lunch. Yum! I feel proud
Old 08-05-2011, 03:50 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Murray-just trying to not be too offensive.

Husky-congrats on the 15 days!!

I got some sleep and I feel better-back to work tonight then I have a 3 day weekend.