# 181 (permalink)  
Proud Neonephalist

Good to hear from you again recycle

Murray (another Cascade-ee-ite)
Old 12-06-2010, 09:46 PM
  # 182 (permalink)  
Never settle.

Congrats recycle, welcome back.

First field assignment starts tomorrow, a training run for me. Little nervous. Not so much about the job, more about meeting a bunch of new people. But I know the guy training me from undergrad, so at least there's one familiar face. It'll all work out.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:22 PM
  # 183 (permalink)  
Proud Neonephalist

Originally Posted by gneiss View Post
First field assignment starts tomorrow...
Awesome possum

Murray
Old 12-14-2010, 06:40 PM
  # 184 (permalink)  
Never settle.

Still out in the middle of nowhere, still clean and sober. Helps that even with plenty of hard-living people around me there's an absolute prohibition of alcohol at the jobsite. Making it easy!
Old 12-14-2010, 08:53 PM
  # 185 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting gneiss! Good luck on tomorrow's assignment I know you will kick but!

I used to fantasize about living in a dry town when I drank...thought it would help me get sober but I prybably just would have driven a lot more...lol:-)
Old 12-15-2010, 03:56 PM
  # 186 (permalink)  

g, really good picks. Really the only thing that "scares" me about snakes is that they do blend in so well with their enviroment that they are hard to see.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:26 PM
  # 187 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Just got out my meager X-Mas decorations and put them about the flat. Twinkling lights made my day . Other that that still trudging that happy trail of recovery.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:38 PM
  # 188 (permalink)  

Zen...I am hoping a giant snake does not appear and eat your decorations
Old 12-22-2010, 11:42 AM
  # 189 (permalink)  
Never settle.

Happy to report that I am doing just great out here. No drugs, no alcohol. The rig crew I work with is pretty mellow, mostly they just go home after work and go to sleep. The night crew is really fun, they're mostly my age and good guys. The day crew are mostly older, they're all really nice but I think I'm kind of a novelty item to them. The crew guys tend to have an overblown sense of chivalry when I have to go up on the rig, but it makes my job a little easier so no complaints (of course I know how to use a ratchet to disassemble the equipment for my job, but if the rig hands want to take off thier gloves in the 15-degree weather and get their hands wet and muddy... well, be my guest). I have another week or so on this rig before they finish then it's off to god-knows-where. My supervisor told me where I'm going but he's changed his mind about 3 times, so I'll just wait and see. The guy training me is a pretty big drinker, to the point he told me he's really struggling to get a handle on it. But he never has it at work and never smells like alcohol. In other words, he's about as good at covering it up as I was.

So far so good. I may or may not be on again in the next few days so merry Christmas or happy secular winter celebration or have a good whatever-it-is-you-do.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:55 AM
  # 190 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Cool Checking-in

Doing very well on the recovery front. Starting to learn GIMP as a new hobbie. Big program with a hell of a lot of functions...a bit imitating but I have started. Other than that I feel stable emotionally, maybe isolation a touch too much...but working on it. Health is good...well good enough to get things done.

Its all good even when it seems it not ...LOL .
Old 01-08-2011, 01:41 PM
  # 191 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Doing well. Survived the holidays and enjoyed all the gaudy holiday lights on the houses around here.

Gneiss, how is the job going now that you've switched locations?
Old 01-10-2011, 08:29 AM
  # 192 (permalink)  
Never settle.

Checking in.

Shockozulu, the job is going really well, I love it. I was between assignments for a few days but my supervisor just called to say I will be back to work tonight. That's excellent, I don't get paid on days I don't work so 5 days off has been uncomfortable. The first assignment was awesome, the second one... not so much. One of the rig hands made my life pretty miserable, I was glad to leave. Hopefully this one will be better.

So I'm off to load up my car and get my life arranged to leave again.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:32 AM
  # 193 (permalink)  

Glad to read you are back to work. Things have been going well here. I had a very long and stressful 24 hours but just kept putting myself in the now to get through it, and I did! Wow, sometimes the things I learned in the early days of my recovery come in so handy.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:34 AM
  # 194 (permalink)  
Never settle.

Good job! That early training about being sober is good to fall back on sometimes.

So far this well is going alright. I know some of the guys do or did a fair bit of drugs but they all tested clean last week so that is encouraging. I was a little aprehensive about working on oil rigs because of the hard-living reputation of the rig hands but it's ok, it's working out. Indeed it's been easier to stay clean and sober while working here than it was in town.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:19 PM
  # 195 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

hay errbody
Old 01-27-2011, 06:28 AM
  # 196 (permalink)  
Proud Neonephalist

hay yerseff

Murray
Old 01-27-2011, 11:33 PM
  # 197 (permalink)  
Never settle.

Kinda miserable tonight. Can't sleep, I have this horrible muscle cramp in my arm and it's getting worse. And nothing I can do about it. Argh!
Old 01-28-2011, 06:37 AM
  # 198 (permalink)  
Proud Neonephalist

Hi gneiss,

Don't know if this will help with the arm, but...have you ever heard of trigger points? (I think that's what they're called). That's where a muscle in one area will knot up, then cause pain in another area. Think of it as one muscle staying in a contracted state, which then pulls on connective tissue which then puts tissue in a different location under tension, causing pain at the second location.

Touch your index finger to your thumb and feel the muscle at the base of your thumb, that's a relaxed muscle. Now touch the tip of your little finger to the tip of your thumb and feel the muscle at the base of your thumb...that's what a trigger point will feel like.

Next time your arm hurts, try following the line of muscles and tendons to see if you can find the trigger point, then massage that spot.

Might work..?

Murray
Old 01-29-2011, 06:17 AM
  # 199 (permalink)  
Never settle.

Thanks murray. I'll try it next time. As for now I should be on the road getting back to my job and I'm still in bed. Guaranteed to be late. Oops.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:03 AM
  # 200 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gneiss View Post
Thanks murray. I'll try it next time. As for now I should be on the road getting back to my job and I'm still in bed. Guaranteed to be late. Oops.
It must be in the air. I had so much trouble waking up that I nearly fell back asleep after a mug full of strong dark coffee. Hope you are able to get up today. I have plans to sleep in. Hope I have a lazy Sunday.