Being understood

Old 04-12-2010, 01:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Being understood

An old guy in recovery told me years ago , our greatest desire (above all else) is to be understood. I was wondering if that is really true ? Without being sober, how could I ever come to understand myself ?

:wtf2
Old 04-12-2010, 09:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

^
That's powerful. As I dare say, most of the population is running around in circles looking for that all-powerful special someone who understands them. "If only someone understood me!" Being a recovering alcoholic has it's benefits!
Old 04-12-2010, 09:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Never settle.

Maybe I'm still a spoiled druggie but I still have never met anyone who quite understands me. Never have. Lots of good friends but never anyone who quite sees where I'm coming from. Welcome to life, no one else has your set of experiences and will filter anything you say through their experiences. And so no one will ever quite get it.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

I totally don't understand.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

isn't being understood a journey? I sorta think the point of our relationships with others is about grownin over time to know another more and more....If I understood you from the get go....well heck what would there be in the journey ahead!

I like friends that i get to know a little more each day It's the learning that makes the journey....

Just when you think you know them they suprise you
Old 04-13-2010, 03:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by topspin View Post
An old guy in recovery told me years ago , our greatest desire (above all else) is to be understood.
"Humility-a word often misunderstood. To those who have made progress in A.A., it amounts to a clear recognition of what and who we really are, followed by a sincere attempt to become what we could be'.
(12 & 12 page 58)
Old 04-13-2010, 05:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Never settle.

Not that I'm an admin or moderator, just one of the kids who hangs out here. But a heads up:

12 Step Programs are off topic for this forum and posts discussing 12 Step Programs will be removed. Please use the Secular 12 Step Forum for positive topics on Secular 12 Step Recovery.

--From the header for this forum on the main list.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

inspiration

If it truly is man's greatest desire, maybe it's impossible to achieve in a lifetime. It could explain the inspiration behind all (great) literature, music, art, philosophies ,religions, and science. .............and Forums

I tried to call Tom D. tonight at the home he's now in, but couldn't get him. It seemed like he mentioned man's desires in descending order, but for the life of me; I can only remember the first one.

Windysan knows , he's just not giving it up :-)