SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Secular Connections (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/)
-   -   Struggling with life (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/195601-struggling-life.html)

Ceres 03-02-2010 08:10 AM

Allport,

"Zen etc are all useful tools I suppose but depression is what it is, do Buddhists and the like never get depressed"?

I read a book 'Zen and the brain" in it, the author talked about the time he spent overseas with buddhist monks. Guess what? Some of them smoke cigarettes, AND are alcoholics!! They follow the principle of progress not perfection which, for me, is a key indentifing factor. Keeping them human and not "perfect".

Hey Bamboozle: See what you did here? You started a thread thats effecting only a few of us so far, that's pretty cool. :-)

Ceres 03-02-2010 08:14 AM

Bamboozle

Wanted to add: I've made a fine mess of my well being lately, at least I'm doing it sober. I can identify with your depression. To add maybe a not so helpful statement, but a uncomfortable fact?:

SOMETIMES FEELINGS JUST SUCK!

Ananda 03-02-2010 10:12 AM

My depression is what it is....i take the medication, I aknowledge the problem....I'm buddhist...doesn't make me not have depression, may change how i view it, how i experience and how i act out of it.

Now my depression was rarely totally life halting....it was just there all my life, pre alchohol....and sometimes it is severe, but mostly it is mild compared to others I have known...

just some random thoughts....Bam...I believe you can find a way :)

Asta1 03-02-2010 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Bamboozle (Post 2530650)
Yeah, I feel like something's missing, but that's probably because I'm a bit isolated at the moment.

I'm not sure my meds are helping me as much as before, but I do what I can with my thoughts.

I picked up a book I bought a while ago on how to build self-esteem. I'm reading it here and there and it helps to keep me on track.

I just read what I wrote. I don't feel very with it today. I've been having some memory problems and my schedule is irregular b/c of work. After tonight I have the next two days off. That should help.

Mind sharing what book that is?

Ceres 03-03-2010 07:29 PM

^
Yeah.

<twiddling thumbs>

murrill 03-05-2010 12:35 PM

This is beyond frustrating. I would love to talk to a large group of atheists/agnostics/etc. who live with depression daily. Does this exist?

I'm not sure that there is a correlation between secularism and depression. In fact, having struggled with some serious depression in my day I will submit that my internalized anger & stuffed feelings were alleviated once I stopped trying to believe in a deity that I did not accept. I agree that there are lots of books, pamphlets, etc for religionists, but there are plenty of books that have nothing to do with one's spiritual orientation. It occurs to me, though I am a newcomer to this Forum, that this might be a perfectly good place to talk about depression with like-minded people.

Ceres 03-05-2010 05:34 PM

I finally got myself properly medicated two years ago. Thank Goodness! However, I have 35 years prior experience. ;-)

Bamboozle 03-15-2010 12:25 PM

The book is Self-Esteem (3rd Ed.) by Matthew McKay and Patrick Fanning.

Ceres 03-15-2010 08:11 PM

So, Bamboozle - How's the head these days.

Bamboozle 03-16-2010 09:07 AM

I'm okay...I have some bad days and some good. :) I roll with however I feel.

Ceres 03-16-2010 09:45 AM

Sounds good! I was all slumpy - Still am, but got me a light to hold on too. They say that depression only gets abnormal when it lasts over two weeks (or many episodes that last two weeks). Since medication, I don't get nearly as messed. But, I still do get messed to a point!

Although, I think it's a behavioral thing at this point. I end up screwing myself so-to-speak by my own actions. I'm working on codependency issues - Since apparently, I'm messed up on THAT side of the fence too!

doorknob 03-18-2010 11:32 AM

Hiya, Bam. You might try finding a secular group in your area. Not addiction or depression related, just a secular group. I found one in Spokane that has an account at Meetup.com (with an active message board) and have been to a couple meetings. There, you could possibly find folks with similar issues to talk to, and you know you won't receive any religious suggestions.

meditation 03-23-2010 10:27 AM

Hey Bam, it is good to see you.
I originally posted back about a year ago on the secular forum because I was not happy with 12 steps and was trying to find a fit on the site for me. I believe in something out there but it is more of a zen ish belief than any sort of structured belief system. For me, I have to feel productive to not feel depressed and I don't think it has that much to do with what I believe or don't believe or any other label pasted on me ( addict, etc)
I sort of follow along with Alirzan's idea about fighting depression is like fighting addiction. I have to be pro active to fight it. I have to set goals each day and try to do some of those goals to fight it off. I am drug free, but I had a few years on Effexor and felt robotic so going it with nothing and being at an age of pre-menopausal that is something. My moods are all over the map, and they seem to be related to sleep, feeling productive, basically if I don't sleep right, eat right, get enough physical exercise and feel I what I did during the day was productive I will fight and feel depression. My busiest days I don't have time or energy to be depressed and I feel peace. Simple living but hard to put into my life because it requires discipline to try to have good living habits. To me it has nothing to do with whether I am a believer of any sort of theology or whether I hang around with people with orange ties , it's just people that need help regardless of belief issues. Just my take. I hear you on the feelings you are dealing with. I think it is fairly universal. Otherwise the drug companies would be making vitamins instead of anti depressants. :)

Ceres 03-23-2010 07:19 PM

Isolation - Get's me everytime. If I'm able to stave off the overwhelming desire to sit home and hug my porcipines - I get better rightly quick. Usually it just takes two outings, two days in a row. Of anykind, as long as it involves another person(s).