SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Secular Connections (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/)
-   -   question about posting heree (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/189487-question-about-posting-heree.html)

jkp33 11-29-2009 01:05 AM

question about posting heree

Hi,

I am a Christian and I do believe in the 12 steps of AA. However, I understand and appreciate cognitive therapy and believe it has a ton of benefits and believe rational thinking can be incorporated into any recovery program.

Is it common for Christians or people who are working the 12 steps to come over here to learn, share, help and recover?

How often do people post here. When I looked at the dates, it appears that the "traffic" on this section of the site is light compared to the activity on some of the other sites.

Thanks

allport 11-29-2009 03:21 AM

Hi jkp welcome to secular :)

This is a secular place so a persons relgion isn't important, however religious beliefs are not discussed as a way to stay sober.

Same with membership of aa, some posters here utilise some of the ideas and meetings of aa to help them but that isn't really what the secular forum is here to discuss.

Anything (along secular lines) that you have to share with us here is more than welcome, as you noted there isn't that much going on in here sometimes.

I don't think that means there aren't many people using secular methods just that some of us also use Lifering and Smart sites which are sometimes more welcoming of our ideas.

shockozulu 11-29-2009 05:32 AM

Hi. I am religious but use a Secular program. I discuss that program here a lot. However, discussion about the 12 Steps is not allowed in Secular Connections. So please feel free to discuss your experience with Secular methods, I am looking forwarding to reading more about them!

Overman 11-29-2009 09:56 PM

jk,

Like Alera alludes, it is common for religious people and those who use a 12-step model to participate here. If we all thought the same way, it would be pretty boring around here. ;)

IMO, there is no 'one way' to recovery. Everyone walks their own path. What works for some doesn't work for others.

Often a mixture of different modalities is the best course; SMART, lifering, and CBT being among the other 'tools' available, in addition to XA.

windysan 11-30-2009 05:11 AM

We can discuss Lucky Charms and the 8 Essential Vitamins and Minerals !!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_E8BpJEni77...cky+charms.png

Zencat 11-30-2009 09:49 AM

:welcome to Secular Connections jkp33.

The main body of my addiction treatment is Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and Rational Emotive Behavioral Therapy. I also translate the faith based recovery system of ** into CBT/REBT language. Being able to decipher and adapt different recovery programs into my personalized addiction treatment program makes recovery much more agreeable for me.

windysan 11-30-2009 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Zencat (Post 2447948)
:welcome to Secular Connections jkp33.

The main body of my addiction treatment is Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and Rational Emotive Behavioral Therapy. I also translate the faith based recovery system of ** into CBT/REBT language. Being able to decipher and adapt different recovery programs into my personalized addiction treatment program makes recovery much more agreeable for me.

That there is a mouthful, Tex Watson !

Zencat 11-30-2009 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by windysan (Post 2447987)
That there is a mouthful, Tex Watson !

I have my moments...LOL

Gypsy Feet 11-30-2009 05:56 PM

your so unique ;)

Bamboozle 12-01-2009 01:32 AM

Hey, jkp. Welcome to the secular side. :)

We're a little strange...I hope we haven't scared you off.

jamdls 12-01-2009 02:47 PM

I'm a Christian and I like this forum because I don't and didn't use any formal program of recovery I took a little bit from one and a little bit from another added my own twist and it's working just fine for me.

windysan 12-01-2009 03:55 PM

This thread is magically delicious !