Fantabulous Secular Connections Check-in Part VII

Old 12-23-2009, 04:31 PM
  # 141 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

The long hours have been helpful both financially and by keeping me from having too much idle time on my hands, always a problem for me. I drive almost an hour each way to work, so it gives me some thinking time, or somtimes some time just to crank the stereo and not think about anything. All in all, things are going OK with me. Had a good day with my son. Hate to see him go tomorrow, but at least I know it will only be weeks until I see him again instead of the months it used to be. Hope everyone else is well. Take care.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:22 AM
  # 142 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Happy Santa With The Goodies Coming Eve And The Day After Holiday.
Old 12-24-2009, 01:54 PM
  # 143 (permalink)  

12 Days of Christmas

I posted this over in Newcommers, but it's just so much fun, I thought I'd share it with my Secular peeps who don't venture over there so often. Hope everyone has a great, and sober, Christmas!!

YouTube - Straight No Chaser: The 12 Days of Christmas (2008 Version)
Old 12-24-2009, 04:31 PM
  # 144 (permalink)  
Never settle.

That's cool. Thanks, Tyler.

Well... my day was going to be awesome. I was going to go to my parents' house for Christmas dinner tonight, probably just stay there because snow was predicted then leave for the 20-ish hour drive to my grandmother's house Saturday morning. I woke up this morning to an ice storm, but it wasn't a horrible one so no worries. I started packing up, getting all my stuff together. I looked out the window about 2:00 to see a neighbor trying to get his car unstuck from about 6 inches of snow with a layer of ice underneath. He was double parked on a couple of cars and slid into one of them while trying to get out so he left his car there. I took some stuff down to my car and took the trash to the dumpster. The wind is kicking up like crazy and carrying snow and ice with it, so I ended up walking backward all the way across the parking lot to the dumpster because I couldn't keep my eyes open walking into the wind. I grabbed the rest of my stuff from my apartment and tried to drive my car out. No dice, it's crazy icy. So I called my parents and told them I couldn't drive in it. My dad told me not to worry about it, he'd put the tire chains on the truck and come get me. 45 minutes later I called him to find out if he was on his way. Nope. He slid into the ditch WITH CHAINS ON THE TIRES (unimaginable. He's one of the best bad-weather drivers I've ever seen). He was waiting for a tow truck to pull him out. Meanwhile another neighbor parked in the driveway that leads into the parking lot so no one can get in or out (not that a curb or lawn would normally keep my dad out of the parking lot, but he can't get here anyway). So my entire family is 3/4 mile away eating Christmas dinner without me. An FML moment if I ever had one.

It kinda makes me want a drink, honestly. But I can't even get out of the parking lot to get to the store so I guess that works out pretty well.
Old 12-24-2009, 10:23 PM
  # 145 (permalink)  
capra laeviculus

Hi everybody!

I never post over here with you nice folks, but I suppose I should. Today is a good day for posting here because it's the day I feel most secular, I think

Oh, and y'all might make mun of me for this all year round, but there's not an ice storm that could keep me stuck, 'cause this here's my ride:

:-D

It's a good thing, too, since the county doesn't bother to plow my road :-/

-Goat
Old 12-24-2009, 10:58 PM
  # 146 (permalink)  
Never settle.

I'll be driving through Columbus on Sunday, Goat. I hope I don't need a tractor. Might need one to get out of my own driveway here!
Old 12-24-2009, 11:15 PM
  # 147 (permalink)  
capra laeviculus

Originally Posted by gneiss View Post
I'll be driving through Columbus on Sunday, Goat. I hope I don't need a tractor. Might need one to get out of my own driveway here!
I hope not too... On that old girl your 20 hour drive would become a 100 hour drive

Winter drivers are funny out here. I lived in Boston for a while... people there know how to drive in the snow, so it's ok. I lived in South Carolina for a while... people there don't know how to drive in the snow, but they know it, so it's ok. People in Ohio don't know how to drive in the snow, but they don't realize it, so it's not ok

I wish you safe travels!

-Goat
Old 12-25-2009, 06:25 AM
  # 148 (permalink)  

Welcome to the secular zone Goat.
Old 12-25-2009, 07:09 AM
  # 149 (permalink)  
capra laeviculus

Thanks, Zen, and you took time on goodies arrived day just to greet me :-D I'm not sure why I fooled around so long waiting to post here.

I hope Santa Claus was nice to everyone!

-Orange Beard the Goat
Old 12-25-2009, 09:57 AM
  # 150 (permalink)  
Never settle.

Merry Christmas, secular peeps!

My roommate has been drinking again and since he went home for break he went to the doctor and got whatever that medication is that makes you not want to drink. I guess he was having for more trouble than I realized; I guess that explains how moody and easily ticked off he's been, among other things. From what he's said he's been drinking since the start of the semester (and hiding it pretty well, too). We didn't drink together one time for the first 6 months we were friends, we used to be good for each other, there was no pressure to drink or do drugs. All the pressure was to do better in school, we got pretty competitive about our grades since we had 3 or 4 classes together every semester. Somewhere in there it all went downhill and in about 6 months we went from not drinking much at all to drinking all the time and doing meth and coke and whatever else we could get our hands on. Hopefully we can get back to our positive friendship that we had before we drank all the time. Still though, I have a vague anxiety about it. The truth is we had a lot of fun when we were up to no good and I don't know what it will be like with both of us clean and sober. I don't know what he'll be like while he's getting back to normal.
Old 12-26-2009, 01:39 PM
  # 151 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Tyler, congrats on the 8 months. I don't count days or keep track either. Its actually a trigger for me.

gneiss, sorry about your Christmas Eve day. I am glad to read your roommate is seeking help.

Our big holiday gift this year was the fact our home is beginning to have peace restored. For a long while, I didn't know if that would happen. Second gift in line is our Netflix. We don't have much money this year, no real gifts for the first time in my life, but my sister and I have each other and our friendship. This is a very big deal as our friendship was pushed beyond the breaking point this year by MANY different factors including, but not limited to: 2 family deaths,distant but stable (age 101) family member in stage 4 hospice, forced move after 17 years in same home, cat passed on, her graduation and leaving school, home threatened by fire and forced evacuation for several days, and so much more.

That's why I'm not on so much lately. It is my time to work on helping to stabilize our new home.

Great story to share with you all. This happened last night.

Sis: You haven't shut up about that new Star Trek movie since you mailed it back. If it was that good, why didn't you watch it again? I would have loved to see it.
Me: I did mention it, you didn't express interest.
Sis: Well, now that you keep talking about it like no tomorrow, I want to see it. Do you want to see it again?*
Me: Yeah, I'll move it to the top of the Netflix queue.

*this is the key phrase. She wants to see it with ME, not alone. and it is a Star Trek movie! YEAH!!!

Thanks all for reading my long post.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:32 PM
  # 152 (permalink)  

How-de-do secular ones.

That's a lot to go through in one year Alera. I'm hoping next year will be a kinder on for you and your family.

Originally Posted by gneiss
The truth is we had a lot of fun when we were up to no good and I don't know what it will be like with both of us clean and sober. I don't know what he'll be like while he's getting back to normal.
Drug use dose have that great appeal with all that unreal high times and stuff. If it wasn't for the hell that a come down brings; depression, tissue damage, psychological suffering...well we addicts that sought recovery know the drill...using drugs would be fun. Yet its exciting to relearn how to be fun in sobriety. I love to release my inner adolescent and be a big goofball.

X-Mas went well. Spent a few days with my sister and mom. I have such a time with leaving my home and the town I'm in. I just don't feel comfortable being to far away from my girlfriend. Anywho its still good to get out and about every once and a wile. All is well on the sober front...ODAAT. Other than that life is as it is and I'm good with that.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:37 PM
  # 153 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Alera View Post
Tyler, congrats on the 8 months. I don't count days or keep track either. Its actually a trigger for me.
Me too!! I only have a rough idea because it was when I moved that I stopped. The day before I moved I did a couple of pinch hits at my going away party, I had about 3 weeks before that. I kinda like having a general idea, but not exact enough to be a trigger. No big aniversaries for me, but I'll still know about how long it's been and be proud of that.

With a year like you've had, things have to get better. Glad you made it through it in one piece. Personally I'm ready for the whole decade to be over. It hasn't been a good one for me. But at least I am entering the new one clean and with hope for the future. I didn't have that last year. Take care.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:14 AM
  # 154 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tyler
I kinda like having a general idea, but not exact enough to be a trigger. No big aniversaries for me, but I'll still know about how long it's been and be proud of that.
That made me think if I sabotage my time when I get close to the one year mark. I don't know but Ive had enough relapses that it would be nice to get a year. Anywho some random blurbs I guess.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:15 PM
  # 155 (permalink)  

Hello, hope everyone had a good sober holiday! My daughter gave birth to my 2nd grandson 22 days early on Dec. 19 so we had our own special Christmas Angel. I attended the birth and cut the umbilical cord and it was a beautiful miraculous day. I couldn't help looking back on the birth of my #1 grandson 4 yrs ago, daughter had gone into labor about 2 am that time and her husband had to call me about 4 times before I picked up the phone because of course I was passed out drunk, I arrived at the hospital around 3 a.m. and sat there with my daughter until the baby arrived around 10 am, however, I felt horribly drunk then hungover... I'm surprised my daughter even allowed me in the delivery room that time. This time her water broke aobut 7:30 a.m. (much more reasonable time), son-in-law called and I answered on the first ring, and I showered and got to the hospital by 8:15 a.m. and was able to actually help out (with almost 4 yr old grandson) and I enjoyed every minute of the 6 hrs I spent at the hospital. I'm so greatful to have been alive for this event and w/o being sober it's highly unlikely I'd have been there.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:56 PM
  # 156 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

That's a wonderful sober story Judy. Thanks for sharing.

I'm down with a cold here. Really nasty one. I'm curled up with Layer Cake, a Daniel Craig action flick, and am so dang sick I'm having trouble keeping track of the basic plot...as in the part of the film where they have a character stand there and tell you what's going on. So I'm going off to bed now.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:12 PM
  # 157 (permalink)  
Never settle.

Congrats to you jamdls!

I also don't like counting days. Just makes me think of how long I've gone and wouldn't it be nice to have one? Ugh. Sabotage.

Well kids, it's a blue moon tonight on New Years. My family is in the living room drinking wine to celebrate. I guess this is kinda my own doing because I don't live with them and they don't know how much of a problem I had. And they would look down on me forever if they knew, so I can't really tell them about it. So I stay in the bedroom and wait it out. It's not even my house, I'm out of town. Grandpa's funeral was Tuesday and I can't wait to go home. I miss home, my apartment, my roommate, and doing things my way. And I'm about to wilt from overexposure to relatives.

It's a pain to type, the s on my keyboard is broken. Kinda cumbersome. I tried to fix it and broke it even worse. See you later!
Old 01-01-2010, 09:19 AM
  # 158 (permalink)  

YEA the is back.
Old 01-01-2010, 07:07 PM
  # 159 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

just finished 1 month of going back to the gym. this time my personal trainer buddy is working with me. i'm sore but feeling much better. soon i'll start the chantix and try to kick the cigs.

i'm still dumb. some things never change.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:22 PM
  # 160 (permalink)  

Good for you on going to the gym Wyndy i keep saying I'm going to join there is a club just a block from my house but I hate working out! Careful with the Chantix too that stuff can be lethal-I want to qUIt smoking but it's my only crutch left.