SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Secular Connections (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/)
-   -   The joys of sobriety (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/182220-joys-sobriety.html)

digderidoo 08-12-2009 03:07 AM

The joys of sobriety

Hi all

I just wanted to post on here about my weekend. I've took up scuba diving in sobriety and love it, it's something i've wanted to do since i was a child.

Anyway i went up to the Northumbria coast the weekend to some little islands called the Farnes. Weather was beautiful, water was crystal clear, sandy empty beaches.

I actually got to dive with wild seals, they're bigger than you think!!...bigger than a large dog...there were hundreds of them. Saw lots of other wild life too, including a big jelly fish out in the deep.

Had i been drinking i would never have experienced this.

Sobriety really can give you a life beyond your wildest dreams.

Paul

nelco 08-12-2009 03:31 AM

really good to read this post, and I couldnt agree more. I also have a life beyond my wildest dreams, and some days I dont even go out!!

jamdls 08-12-2009 07:36 AM

Sounds awesome Paul! Diving while drunk or even hungover definetly sounds like it wouldn't last long.

gneiss 08-12-2009 07:45 AM

Indeed. When I was 20 I had a friend who went swimming drunk and drowned. Probably a good thing to stay away from water while drunk.

Oh. I think I missed the point of the thread :D Earlier this summer I posted some photos from hiking around the lake near my house. Never would have done that while drinking. 5 miles through the woods every day after work... it was pretty awesome. When it cools off a bit I'm going to start again-- not much fun to do 5 miles in 100 degree weather.

allport 08-12-2009 08:44 AM

I am really jealous of you Paul, that will be me one day :)

Bamboozle 08-12-2009 08:52 AM

Wow! That would have been neat to see (and photograph ;)). I'm jealous, too. That's freakin' awesome. :)

Zencat 08-12-2009 09:07 AM

;) That's a real adventure for sure and beats diving into a bottle by far.

otterbearcat 08-12-2009 10:03 AM

Thanks for the reminder, I need to put that on my agenda of things I CAN do again.

I havent been on a dive in 10 years. I used to live in Florida and took a couple dive trips in the Keys. Awesome!

No wild seals though. :(

digderidoo 08-12-2009 12:28 PM

I've put a few pics up in my profile, you can't really make out the seals so well in them though.

Paul

stone 08-12-2009 12:39 PM

I love reading this type of thread, thanks Paul!

I am so glad you were able to do it and it inspires me too. :)

dignityback 08-12-2009 01:32 PM

Well diving with wild seals sounds just amazing!! I havent quite managed that yet but since getting sober a few months ago Ive moved into my first house and started making it a lovely home with my son and passed my driving test!

digderidoo 08-12-2009 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by dignityback
since getting sober a few months ago Ive moved into my first house and started making it a lovely home with my son and passed my driving test!

That's amazing in itself!....it's what sober living is all about

Paul