SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Secular Connections (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/)
-   -   Continued Sobriety: An Epic Journey (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/181373-continued-sobriety-epic-journey.html)

Bamboozle 07-28-2009 05:04 PM

Continued Sobriety: An Epic Journey

:)

I just love melodramatic titles.

Howdy secular peeps!

My recovery is fairly simple. Medication, therapy, SR, photography, joking around...etc. It's a little loose but it does keep me accountable...and I like having flexibility. If I don't feel like doing something one day I can pick something else. It's an all-you-can eat buffet for sobriety.

Speaking of food, I think I'm going to make some green salsa with my tomatillos. Many of them are ready and I already have too much.

http://i604.photobucket.com/albums/t...ossalsa060.jpg

mistycshore 07-28-2009 06:03 PM

Yum! I'm going to make gazpacho from my overactive tomatoes, but I've heard of green chili recipes that could knock one's socks off. Never seen one myself.

Good luck with the green salsa. Don't worry about rushing it. There are likely far more tomatillos ripening than you could ever use. No rush. :)

Hugs,

Dee74 07-28-2009 06:06 PM

my programme is doing good (like the Lone Ranger) and not drinking..ever :)

tomatillos? :wtf2

LOL
D

mistycshore 07-28-2009 06:14 PM

Hey, Bam, I did a search on allrecipes.com (my favorite site next to this one) for tomatillos and they have some good stuff, including salsa recipes.

To Dee: I'm sober. Went off the amtitriptylne (sp?) because it makes me drowsy, and maybe I should feel the damage that drinking did to my body anyway. I'm not here much because I'm doing stuff . . . as opposed to drinking stuff. :)

Your faithful Tonto,

Bamboozle 07-28-2009 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 2312570)
tomatillos? :wtf2

LOL
D

You know, green salsa?

Yum! :yumyum:

Bamboozle 07-28-2009 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by mistycshore (Post 2312564)
Yum! I'm going to make gazpacho from my overactive tomatoes, but I've heard of green chili recipes that could knock one's socks off. Never seen one myself.

Good luck with the green salsa. Don't worry about rushing it. There are likely far more tomatillos ripening than you could ever use. No rush. :)

Hugs,

That gazpacho sounds good.

Yeah, these plants are, uh, prolific. Wowzers!

And some of the tomatoes are (finally) beginning to turn…yum. Home grown makes store bought taste like plastic.

mistycshore 07-28-2009 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Bamboozle (Post 2312596)
Home grown makes store bought taste like plastic.

That is the truth! I did *not* like tomatoes but had never had a proper tom until a friend gave me one of the home-grown varieties. Because they are supposed to the best of the best, I want to try one of the heritage types, like Brandywine. Maybe next year. :)

Still, the least of home-grown trumps the best of store bought, and they dang near grow themselves!

Dee74 07-28-2009 06:41 PM

no still mystified...salsa comes in a jar doesn't it? ;)
Glad you're hanging in there 'Tonto' :lmao

D

mistycshore 07-28-2009 06:53 PM

No, the best salsa comes from the garden. I promise! Jarred salsa is like canned potaotes - not the same thing at all. :)

But I confess to using bottled hot sauce in my gazpacho. And I use frozen spinach im my "to die for" quiche. I'm not a purist. I'm bad for the benefit of the palate. :)

Your faithful Tonto,

Bamboozle 07-28-2009 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by mistycshore (Post 2312622)
No, the best salsa comes from the garden. I promise! Jarred salsa is like canned potaotes - not the same thing at all. :)

Yup.

I'll make some regular salsa this summer, too.

Tomatoes, onions, cilantro, garlic, jalapeño, lemon/lime juice, vinegar (a bit), mangoes, and kiwi. Yum yum! I just make that one raw...I suppose it would be good cooked.

vicarious 07-28-2009 07:48 PM

I'm so jealous -- we have all of two tiny tomatoes that have gotten ripe and another seven or so still green on the dwarven vines. It's been raining and cool all summer, and they simply don't want to grow. On the other hand, our ground cherry (also known as husk tomatoes -- similar to tomatillos but smaller and sweeter, more berry-like) plant has tons of lanterns that will probably all ripen at about the same time and we'll either have way more than we can eat before they spoil or the stupid chipmunk in our garden that has been pilfering our strawberries will hi-hosey the ground cherries the minute they are ready to be picked.

Gardening is one of my absolute favorite ways to bring me serenity. And cooking from my vegetable and herb garden is great for me too. I'm so happy to see other sober garden gourmets here!

Zencat 07-28-2009 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Bam
If I don't feel like doing something one day I can pick something else. It's an all-you-can eat buffet for sobriety.

Hell yes...works for me too :).

Tomatoes, onions, cilantro, garlic, jalapeño, lemon/lime juice, vinegar (a bit), mangoes, and kiwi. Yum yum! I just make that one raw...I suppose it would be good cooked.
I believe the lemon/lime/vinegar juice cooks it...like ceviche is cooked in lime/lemon juice...acid cooking that is.

http://http.cdnlayer.com/smoola/00/0...7f06fb01_m.jpg

Ceviche tostada...yum, yum.

Bamboozle 07-28-2009 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by vicarious (Post 2312697)
I'm so jealous -- we have all of two tiny tomatoes that have gotten ripe and another seven or so still green on the dwarven vines. It's been raining and cool all summer, and they simply don't want to grow. On the other hand, our ground cherry (also known as husk tomatoes -- similar to tomatillos but smaller and sweeter, more berry-like) plant has tons of lanterns that will probably all ripen at about the same time and we'll either have way more than we can eat before they spoil or the stupid chipmunk in our garden that has been pilfering our strawberries will hi-hosey the ground cherries the minute they are ready to be picked.

Gardening is one of my absolute favorite ways to bring me serenity. And cooking from my vegetable and herb garden is great for me too. I'm so happy to see other sober garden gourmets here!

:)

Funny you mentioned ground cherries. I have one plant...I think it's a strawberry husk...but the fruits are small. Some taste kind of buttery...some like pineapple...but pretty much taste like a grape after whatever they taste like at the beginning. It's different. I like it.

I should post some pics of it...the plant and the fruit. Maybe I'll do that tomorrow. :)

Bamboozle 07-28-2009 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Zencat (Post 2312715)

Oh...that looks so good!

Bamboozle 07-30-2009 09:52 AM

I made it! Green salsa!

I was a little heavy handed with the cliantro and lime juice...but other than me going a little overboard with the flavors it's super tasty. Yum yum yum!

SelfSeeking 07-30-2009 01:41 PM

I f!cking LOVE tomatillos. Love them! Enchiladas verdes, that's where it's at. (I'm a transplant from western parts. ;) )

Tomatillos don't grow well out here. Chiles either. Sigh. But my tomatoes are booming.

Bamboozle 07-30-2009 04:10 PM

Hey, SS. :wavey:

Our tomatoes aren't doing as hot as they were last year...but the tomatillos are booming.

One of the plants that I have is producing purple tomatillos...I just noticed that today. My mother is so awesome...she took the time to find an online vendor who sold the plants...and the woman who sent them out gave us some freebies...an nevas azorean red, green grape, strawberry husk, and apparently a purple tomatillo.

I have 6 tomatillo plants. :) It's a wee bit much.

jamdls 07-31-2009 10:15 AM

Good to hear your doing well Bam! I don';t think I've ever had a tomatillo but love the picture! I have a bad stomach and have forever so I only eat very bland foods which is why I've never really cared about eating. Unless it's CHOCOLATE of course.

Bamboozle 07-31-2009 11:50 AM

Chocolate is a huge weakness of mine...I'm trying to cut down. :(

Can't I just eat it and not gain weight?

Gypsy Feet 08-02-2009 08:14 PM

Bam I wished we lived close!! I make a pretty taste chili verde, and those would make it even better!