Fantabulous Secular Connections Check-in Part VI

Old 10-29-2009, 02:12 AM
  # 441 (permalink)  
9/15/08

I saw 'Paranormal Activity' w/o seeing the preview.

Wow, was it creepy! Haven't seen a movie like that since 'The Grudge'.

The alternative endings are interesting as well.

If you're a real masochist, get the DVD and watch it home alone with all the lights off at about 3am. And sober.

Old 10-29-2009, 02:52 AM
  # 442 (permalink)  

Oh don't say it's as good as the Grudge, I hated that film, although I did see it when I was drunk :rotfxko
Old 10-29-2009, 07:05 AM
  # 443 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

I tried to watch The Grudge twice. Fell asleep both times. Same goes for The Grudge II.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:58 AM
  # 444 (permalink)  
Never settle.

This is just silly but in a way it made me think of my drug use:

Man Dies After Secret 4-Year Battle With Gorilla

Hope you all get a laugh out of it.

Daytimes on Discovery channel there's a show called "A Haunting" or something like that. It's fun to watch. Supposedly true stories of paranormal activity. There's kind of a theme though: lots of the folks call Catholic priests and get an exorcism. My roommate and I take bets on whether they call a priest or a healer.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:04 PM
  # 445 (permalink)  

I've seen the show and while it seems to be fairly harmless nonsense it bugs the life out of me that it is shown on Discovery Science all the time, not the most appropriate place for it really.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:05 PM
  # 446 (permalink)  
9/15/08

The only movies I ever found to be as creepy than the 'Grudge' were 'The Ring' and 'The Blair Witch Project'...the latter was simply genius because it used natural environmental stimuli so well.

I saw the preview for the 'Fourth Kind'...kinda skeptical. Not really into alien abduction movies.

Old 10-29-2009, 03:11 PM
  # 447 (permalink)  
Shape-Shifting Super-Hero

I would like to be adbucted by aliens...sounds fun!
Old 10-29-2009, 05:00 PM
  # 448 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

I am an alien.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:26 PM
  # 449 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I would love to have my apartment haunted by an alien ghosts. Maybe alien Elvis could do the job.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:34 PM
  # 450 (permalink)  
Never settle.

Originally Posted by allport View Post
I've seen the show and while it seems to be fairly harmless nonsense it bugs the life out of me that it is shown on Discovery Science all the time, not the most appropriate place for it really.
Discovery has an illustrious history of blurring the lines between science and fantasy. Remember their 2- or 3-hour special about dragons? At the very opening of the show it has a black screen with white letters reading "If the legends were real, this is what we would find." And from there it presents the whole concept of dragons as fact. I found myself engrossed, almost forgetting that the whole thing is complete fantasy.

Another reminder of this fact: one of my professors appeared in one of their shows. They called him one day and said they needed an expert in volcanos on Mercury. He replied that there's no such thing because we don't really even know if there is a volcano on Mercury (the professor in question is a planetary geologist specializing in volcanic activity on Venus and one of Jupiter's moons... talk about a specialization with zero application to the real world!). The guy said, "Whatever. Do you want to do the show?" He agreed to do it, but when it aired every bit of scientific caution he mentioned had been cut out of it; they presented what he said as fact, not the semi-educated guessing that it really was.

Bottom line, Discovery is in the entertainment business, not the science business. And there's nothing wrong with that as long as they don't try to hide it.
Old 10-30-2009, 03:39 AM
  # 451 (permalink)  

I know thats how it is Gneiss, doesn't mean it's how it should be, I wasn't bothered by the fact the show is shown on Discovery itself, you know what you are going to get with discovery (lots and lots of programs about sharks for a start).

A Haunting is (here in England) is shown at least twice a day on a spin off channel called Discovery Science, the channel itself tends to show a lot of extreme weather shows and programs about large engineering feats (it does show some really good stuff as well).

To me even guessing about volcanoes on Mercury is a bit more Scientific than exorcism

Maybe there should be a spin off channel for Science/Fantasy were we could watch programs about hauntings and mythical beasts to our hearts content (I would probably subscribe lol ).
Old 10-30-2009, 12:24 PM
  # 452 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Nat Geo's not too bad.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:50 PM
  # 453 (permalink)  

Just wanted to say I'm having a good day so far.
But I did cheat a bit, I mean how can you have a bad day when you have a bowl of Lucky Charms for breakfast?
Old 10-30-2009, 05:51 PM
  # 454 (permalink)  
Never settle.

Ah. that must have been my problem today, joinedintime. Guess I should head to the store for some Lucky Charms.

I had an awful day. All those stupid little things came back to haunt me today, I was just sorta chronically p!ssed off and crying. Like, to the point where it just got stupid. I was doing some homework for a class that both my roommate and I are enrolled in. It's probably the hardest class I've ever taken. I worked on this problem for about 2 hours and I was so frustrated that I couldn't get it right; my calculations indicated the presence of a physically impossible situation. My roommate hadn't done the problem yet, it was due a few hours later, and he was watching TV, talking on the phone, and making fun of me. And then, of course, expected me to give him my paper when I finished. I was so mad I went into my room and cried. I couldn't handle it. And then he walked in and asked if I was mad. Ya think? Honestly, he was kinda grouchy today and the homework situation really had me frustrated but I kinda lost it. I had zero control of my emotions. I'm so stressed out lately. I think I'd like to be kidnapped and taken on a crime spree. By Johnny Depp. Yes.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:43 PM
  # 455 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Did you tell your roommate to f*ck off? I would have.

Gneiss, can you move out soon? Sounds like a bad environment to me...and also the whole safety issue thing.
Old 10-31-2009, 03:43 AM
  # 456 (permalink)  

You took the words right out of my mouth Bam (or fingers since I am typing this ).

In this situation I might have found a blunt object forcing its way into my hands too

I know you are friends with this guy but he is a complete, well I don't actually know how to describe him really I haven't got a bad enough word in my vocabulary.

**** taking parasite is a start though!
Old 10-31-2009, 07:14 AM
  # 457 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

Originally Posted by joinedintime View Post
Just wanted to say I'm having a good day so far.
But I did cheat a bit, I mean how can you have a bad day when you have a bowl of Lucky Charms for breakfast?
a fellow believer !!

Old 10-31-2009, 11:52 AM
  # 458 (permalink)  
Never settle.

Originally Posted by Bamboozle View Post
Did you tell your roommate to f*ck off? I would have.
I said many things, I'm sure that was among them. I pretty much called him everything but a white boy. Ya know, he teased me a little but we joke around like that all the time, he really wasn't out of line for it. I couldn't handle it though. Everything made me cry yesterday, for no reason. Just out of the blue I'd start bawling. Feeling better today at least. I think I need a nap though. Sleepy.
Old 10-31-2009, 02:38 PM
  # 459 (permalink)  
Shape-Shifting Super-Hero

Hey gneiss, what is your relationship with your room-mate? I sense maybe it's some kind of relationship beyond friendship, not necessarily romantic, but invested with some kind of energy/charge that makes it difficult to break the bond.

Now it's been three weeks since tapering off the Klonopin, and still totally stressed/shaky/sore/queasy.

I have also been broke beyond broke, the wage garnishments and state pay cuts have hit me hard. Many days, I eat one meal, the phone got cut off for a few days last week, rent will be late. I can't even afford a co-pay to see the Dr.

I am very scared. I keep being told I make to much for aid of any kind, but feel like I am losing it. I have not been anywhere in several years, have not been able to see my family back in Michigan, feel like I am just getting older and more hopeless. Sometimes, I wish I would die, just die, without trying, and end all this. I don't see any hope anymore, I am faint, tired, broke and tired of trying.

Not sure anymore, the future looks so grey and distant, the present is a struggle just to endure, all I have left it seems are a few memories.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:04 PM
  # 460 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Hang in there Husky.