Blogs

Notices

Fantabulous Secular Connections Check-in Part VI

Old 09-23-2009, 06:15 AM
  # 281 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

Originally Posted by Freepath View Post
The following statistics are for 2008.
The U.S. has the highest gross domestic product of any nation in the world at 14 trillion dollars.
Japan has the second highest gross domestic product at 5 trillion.
In 2008, the U.S. spent 2.4 trillion dollars on healthcare, nearly half of the dollar amount of the Japanese gross domestic product.

And you think that “The United States is among the worst places for health care in the 'western' world”

That doesn’t sound quite accurate when you consider the numbers.

Just a thought. I hope that you can find the support that you need. There are actually online therapy forums, as well.
Not to get into a political argument....but the number of dollars spent is in no way a direct correlation to the quality of medical care provided. One of our biggest problems is that we are spending such a large amount of money and getting no better results than we are.

BTW, I really do not have a position on the current health care debate, other than what we are currently doing is not working and something has to change. Take care.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:41 AM
  # 282 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Dee
Old 09-23-2009, 09:33 AM
  # 283 (permalink)  

Close to Having Had It

So far in my seminar in literature class (which has nothing to do with literature), the instructor has established, among other weirdness previously written about, that people who eat meat are evil "human supremacists" and that people who own pets are too because they oppress animals (to domesticate is to dominate).

this professor is a loop-job anyway. She (I think she's a she but I'm not positive. She self-defines as female, so . . . ) believes critical thinking is a device created by male-dominated culture and that we need to abandon use of it.

I don't think I can get through this class. It's not that the class is difficult; it's that I find it so offensive. I really feel that this nutcase is jamming her bizarre religion down the students' throats. It's the capstone class for english majors. I don't think I'll be able to do it independent study with another instructor because it is a "seminar" class.

She requires a written response for every essay we read (of true literature, we've only read a four short stories in six weeks of class - everything else is this bizarre theory), and I do not have anything nice to say. I don't have any questions to ask except: Why are we being subjected to this crap?

If I could find a way to laugh about it, that would help, but I'm just not finding humor here. I've still got another week to drop, but I'd really hate to delay graduation because of this. Any suggestions?

Still not drinking and not even thinking about drinking. But I don't know whether that's due more to a desire not to drink or no time drink. Anyway, it's working for now.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:03 AM
  # 284 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Sorry, misty. Been a little while since I've been in school...so I'm a bit rusty. Is this the only seminar class being offered? Could you go to the professor of another class and get signed on? Is there a department head you can talk to in confidence about this specific instructor if you can't get out of this class?
Old 09-23-2009, 10:07 AM
  # 285 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Originally Posted by mistycshore View Post
So far in my seminar in literature class (which has nothing to do with literature), the instructor has established, among other weirdness previously written about, that people who eat meat are evil "human supremacists" and that people who own pets are too because they oppress animals (to domesticate is to dominate).

I wonder if she feels the same way about bacteria. *shrug* Ask her if she's a human supremacist because her immune system protects her from pathogens.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:16 AM
  # 286 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

Originally Posted by HuskyPup View Post
Surely, you jest! The United States is among the worst places for health care in the 'western' world! On the other hand, if you mistook me for a Canadian, I'm flattered:P

HP
Sorry, I thunked you was a Brit.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:18 AM
  # 287 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

Originally Posted by mistycshore View Post

this professor is a loop-job anyway. She (I think she's a she but I'm not positive. She self-defines as female, so . . . ) believes critical thinking is a device created by male-dominated culture and that we need to abandon use of it.

I don't think I can get through this class. It's not that the class is difficult; it's that I find it so offensive. I really feel that this nutcase is jamming her bizarre religion down the students' throats. It's the capstone class for english majors. I don't think I'll be able to do it independent study with another instructor because it is a "seminar" class.

She requires a written response for every essay we read (of true literature, we've only read a four short stories in six weeks of class - everything else is this bizarre theory), and I do not have anything nice to say. I don't have any questions to ask except: Why are we being subjected to this crap?

If I could find a way to laugh about it, that would help, but I'm just not finding humor here. I've still got another week to drop, but I'd really hate to delay graduation because of this. Any suggestions?

Still not drinking and not even thinking about drinking. But I don't know whether that's due more to a desire not to drink or no time drink. Anyway, it's working for now.
Tell Professor PC to come hang out with me in rural Louisiana. I'll have her eating rodents in no time.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:11 PM
  # 288 (permalink)  

I think maybe I need to crawl back in my little hole here with my secular peeps, where people play nice. Some of the other forums are making my brain hurt
Old 09-24-2009, 03:14 AM
  # 289 (permalink)  

I agree totally Tyler I recently tried to become more involved with other threads, just trying to read stuff from other people that might be relavant to me and bring me a bit of hope.

What a waste of time the good stuff is so swamped by point scoring agenda pushing that reading those threads is more likely to push me over the edge than help me.

I feel a bit sorry for people who are just finding SR at the moment, as always there are some great people here offering support and encouragment but there is also a lot of judgemental nonsense being written.

I wouldn't particularly blame any one person or faction but its seems a lot more important to some people at the moment to be seen to be right than to be helpful.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:16 PM
  # 290 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

LOL
Old 09-24-2009, 02:37 PM
  # 291 (permalink)  

Got the pig flu. Been out of work all week running a fever of 102-103 all day. Just doesn't seem to be getting any better.

On a positive note, (sort of) it has come with a fair bit of chest congestion. However, for the first time in I can't remember how long, it is not developing into a major cough. Could it be not smoking the ganja??!! I think so!!
Old 09-25-2009, 04:53 AM
  # 292 (permalink)  
Optimist

Hi....can I vent? I don't want to vent on F&F, I really just want to b*tch a little bit...

I got in a stupid arguement with my husband yesterday, and did something I had promised myself i would never do. He was home sick and b*tching incessently that the house was a mess, and after several hours of listening to his b*tching I said something along the lines of "sorry, I didn't know that I while you were out using with your dirtbag friends that I was supposed to be your housekeeper." So then he accused me (I love this one) of "making the house messy" to "punish" him for his drug use. I mean, I feel really bad that I said it, and I know it wasn't constructive or helpful with his recovery, but geez, I think I've been about as tolerant and patient and understanding as anyone could be, and this is the thanks I get? Sometimes I feel like he thinks that I'm supposed to be so thrilled and overjoyed that he's not using that I have no other expectations of him, and it's pretty d*mned annoying.

Anyway, that's my little vent session...hope everyone is doing well...

~Daisy

Last edited by Daisy09; 09-25-2009 at 05:16 AM.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:29 AM
  # 293 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Misty, had a nutjob for my capstone. I think its a requirement they are crazy before they let you teach that course. My advice? Just remember its a seminar and that its the last quarter/semester. That's what got me through it.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:46 AM
  # 294 (permalink)  
Never settle.

Ahh, there's no nutjob like a nutjob with a doctoral degree. Misty, your post made me recall a religion course I took once that made me want to scream every time I went. The assignments were POINTLESS. If there was a religious meaning behind them it was lost on me (but then, religion is lost on me anyway). I never did very well in that sort of class anyway, they always seemed like a waste of my time. It sounds like your instructor is educated beyond her intellect.

I guess I just got lucky, my capstone course was awesome, with no fewer than 5 excellent professors to guide me through it.

Sounds like I'm glad I've been staying off the rest of SR. I just come straight here to SC. A while back I tried to branch out and it was sort of a disaster so I decided to stick to SC.

Life's good. I'm back on track and feeling pretty good again. Except that my fried eggs went on the attack this morning and I have grease burns on my arm and neck. Dead sexy, for sure. It's ok. I got the ultimate revenge. Breakfast was yummy.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:51 AM
  # 295 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Daisy09 View Post
Hi....can I vent? I don't want to vent on F&F, I really just want to b*tch a little bit...

I got in a stupid arguement with my husband yesterday, and did something I had promised myself i would never do. He was home sick and b*tching incessently that the house was a mess
~Daisy
I know this might seem like a little thing to people, but it's not. I watched my own mom try to rip my dad's soul out because he wouldn't help with the house, and it tore me up. The thing is, if you are forever taking care of and cleaning up after someone who is not pulling his/her share - you are effectively that person's slave. People resent slavery, healthy people do anyway.

This is a separate issue from addiction, IMO. Daisy, unless you can think of a really good reason to be this guy's doormat (good reasons exist sometimes), don't do it. You obviously don't want to live in a mess yourself, so maybe you don't want to live with him.

Just a thought.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:17 PM
  # 296 (permalink)  
Never settle.

Originally Posted by Daisy09 View Post
He was home sick and b*tching incessently that the house was a mess, and after several hours of listening to his b*tching I said something along the lines of "sorry, I didn't know that I while you were out using with your dirtbag friends that I was supposed to be your housekeeper."

~Daisy
I agree with Misty. So it wasn't the most constructive thing to say, but how far can he push you? And why let him do it? You aren't his servant, and if he's been out doing drugs while you juggle everything and try to maintain a normal life... that's a lot of pressure on you and I always thought relationships should be sorta balanced. It's not all about what you get out of a relationship but if you get nothing back there's no reason to maintain it. Not that I'm suggesting any course of action, I'm just saying your reaction was understandable and not so terribly out of line. And frankly, even if you don't want to hold the drug use against him, what you said was THE TRUTH. You are (or were) expected to clean and cook and whatnot while he goes out using. You hit the nail on the head, and it made him defensive. And if there's something I know about druggies (being one myself) it's that we can be pretty damn manipulative when it comes to legitimizing our use and making everyone else seem unreasonable.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:46 PM
  # 297 (permalink)  
mergirl

I never notice the mudslinging in the other forums, maybe its because I am so tired after work, I only read every third word=)

Checking in. Sober. Happy. Wanting to eat meat and enslave wild animals for some odd reason. . . .
Old 09-27-2009, 04:07 PM
  # 298 (permalink)  
Shape-Shifting Super-Hero

It’s been a while, but here I am, back on day two. I have a tooth that seems to be going bad…….ouch. Had an anxiety attack out walking on Friday, lost it, so many worries crowding my head. I was sitting in a park, thought it would be calming, but could not find any peace.

Arg, this debt and so many things I need to have ‘treated’ or dealt with, but no way to go about it. It's hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel right now...but hopefully one day.

I have thought about mediating, as many have suggested....hard to focus. I think I need a remedial class. That, and a quiet place to go about it: I rather like sensory deprivation, to be in a pitch back room, no sound, nothing. I tried those flotation/isolation tanks a few times at a place in DC, and that was quite relaxing.

I could be the poster child for anxiety and angst; hippies flee from me in horror, massage therapists feel their muscles cramp up, a troubled look crosses even the Dalai Llama's brow. Whole Foods shoppers shudder, acupuncturists are on pins and needles, yoga instructors gawk as their students get caught up in knots. Maybe the military could harness my nervous energy and use it as a weapon, changing the enemy into a barrage of Kafkas and Bergmans, teen-age Saints and sad-eyed sinners.

Well, I will try to hold on. That tooth is really starting to kill me, I think it might have to be pulled. Ouch, that hurt so much the last time I had to do that.....and even after a low dose of Oxycontin, nitrous oxide, a pinch of valium and Novocain......felt like my mouth was the forest, and the oldest tree on earth was being ripped from it. Have never felt pain like that, even through the haze of a panoply of substances supposed to stop it.

Well, day two: Hoping I make it, am at work until 11 PM if anyone wants to write me, I’ll be checking……

Hope everyone else is OK.

HP
Old 09-27-2009, 05:59 PM
  # 299 (permalink)  
Never settle.

Originally Posted by HuskyPup View Post

Well, day two: Hoping I make it, am at work until 11 PM if anyone wants to write me, I’ll be checking……

Hope everyone else is OK.

HP
Hugs to you, HP. Despite my best intentions I'm also on day 2... again. So, buddy. It's a bumpy road and it sucks but as we say here in Oklahoma, time to man up. They probably say that other places, too. But it always seemed a little redneck to me.

Still good advice though. I was reading some homework a few minutes ago and wanted in the worst way to go grab a 12-pack. I logged on here instead. I'm flat broke anyway. Eleven cents in my checking account. So I guess being broke is my anti-drug. I did some laundry on Friday, came home from the laundromat and it smelled funny in my apartment. I asked roommate about it, he told me he'd smoked an old cigarette he'd found laying around. "Really? Your old cig smells a lot like dope, buddy. Tell the truth." Sure enough he'd invited a friend over and they smoked crack. I was pretty furious. Bought some beer to cool down. Yeah, that was stupid.

So, HP. We're on day 2 and it'll be ok. Things will work out, we just need to stay away from the booze. It's sure not solving many problems, just numbing us as the problems get worse.

Log on and talk if you need to. If you'd like someone to have somewhat better contact with, IM me. Maybe we could Facebook or something, if you're into that.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:48 PM
  # 300 (permalink)  
Shape-Shifting Super-Hero

Hey Gneiss, I think we can make it. An hour or so left, then an hour drive home. Hopefully my partner is being good, as we both are trying to go at least 10 days to cleanse out our bodies, and then go from there. I use Skype for text IMs, have never used facebook, but always willing to send a PM here.

That must be hard, having your roomate smoke crack...Never tried crack, but sounds like the last thing an already hyper/anxious guy needs. My main issue has been booze, and the occassional other 'downer'.

Funny, being broke is also my anti-drug...works in a weird sort of way.

Well, gotta do a few things here at work,

HP