Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Secular Recovery > Secular Connections
Reload this Page >

For those in secular recovery...were you ever once religious?

For those in secular recovery...were you ever once religious?

Old 07-23-2009, 10:24 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Zen Nihilist

Originally Posted by Zencat View Post
Enlightenment comes at a high price...eternal peace. Peace from concrete, static mythologies from a time of long lost beliefs burred in antiquity.
Do you mean it costs us the eternal peace born of religion?

My experience was the opposite. My religiosity wreaked unbearable internal turmoil. My earliest memories of suicidality were directly connected to the conflict between my religious beliefs and my humanity, as well as what I was being taught in school regarding the nature of the universe. All of it was enough to make an 11-year-old go crazy. Critically evaluating the religious "knowledge" was not an option, which accounts for the unbearable part.

This is probably why 1984 became my favorite book for a long time. Winston knows 2+2 cannot possibly equal 5, but by his ultimate fear, he will come to believe it anyway...
Old 07-23-2009, 04:24 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by spittake View Post
Originally Posted by Zencat
Enlightenment comes at a high price...eternal peace. Peace from concrete, static mythologies from a time of long lost beliefs burred in antiquity.
Do you mean it costs us the eternal peace born of religion?
No, but a bit of flowery writing on my part that obscured my original intent.
I now see the eternal as an never ending continuance of the present moment. To me that means abandoning any belief for some future mystic reward but to accept the I only have now and when I pass away from death...my eternal moment ends. My eternal rewards are now...as long as I stay in the moment.

Originally Posted by vegibean
I'm sure you all have discussed this to death over here but I am asking not only for myself but also my sponsee. I do not believe in "God", nor does she.

I have heard the statement made many times "if you don't believe in a God or a higher power, you're never going to stay sober." I think that's a bunch of hooey. I've reassured my sponsee the same.

So for all of you non-believers, how much time do you have? I have almost two years now, WOO HOO!!!!!!!

BTW, I don't pray, I meditate and have heart to heart talks with myself. I believe that as long as I'm honest with myself, I know the answers within myself.

Any input? Thanks in advance.
No God or HP...no problem. The main body of my addiction treatment program is REBT/CBT (secular) and Zen Buddhism (non-theist). I don't have theist/deist/supernatural beliefs. I have found it possible to work AA's or NA's program well within my experience of said programs. In fact I augment my addiction treatment program with many other healthy living strategies/coping skills/philosophies.

As for being a collector of time, clean & sober time I'm sure you meant...and that would be continuous...yes. On this go around...right. Lets see I have about a 1 1/2 years. Now if I were the type of guy that counted emotional, spiritual and life skills maturity in units of time with regards of being in addiction treatment, I would have about ten years accumulated. But all and all I don't judge myself or others by calender C & S time. I have found it to be rather deceiving when assessing someone in relation to being healthy or not.

"To thy own self be true" and good effort on your C & S time V-Bean .
Old 07-23-2009, 08:36 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Zen Nihilist

Originally Posted by Zencat View Post
My eternal rewards are now...as long as I stay in the moment.
Wonderfully stated. I, too, found a great comfort in simply recognizing what is, and suspending attempts to "know" anything beyond that.
Originally Posted by Zencat
Now if I were the type of guy that counted emotional, spiritual and life skills maturity in units of time with regards of being in addiction treatment, I would have about ten years accumulated. I don't judge myself or others by calender C & S time. I have found it to be rather deceiving when assessing someone in relation to being healthy or not.
Couldn't agree more! I would not have learned all that I have about staying straight if I didn't have relapses to teach me. I'm one of those that must learn the important things the hard way.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:03 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

I am agnostic. I do not know if god exists. I do not know if god does not exist. It is, also, a private matter.
Having said that, I decided to drink alcohol. I decided not to drink alcohol. My call.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:03 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Veggie...i guess i'm gonna give you a wierd answer...

I had 2.5 years as a god person, then serial slipped along for a while...then 7 years as a non god person, followed by and 8 year slip, I got up again..still as a non-god person...and had 23 months. I am now on day gosh i forgot..less than 2 weeks.

The point for me is that my history is really no different than many people who have believed in god from the get go and continued to...

I don't know this for a fact, but...just my sense from talking to many people who are in recovery is taht the numbers are about the same weather you beieve in god or not....I sure hope this doesnt' bring on a statistics war though....
Old 07-24-2009, 06:56 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Originally Posted by vegibean View Post
So for all of you non-believers, how much time do you have? I have almost two years now, WOO HOO!!!!!!!
Congratulations, vegi!

Almost 4 months...longest ever for me.

I go to therapy, take my meds like I'm supposed to, do SR and take photographs.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:02 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Administrator

way to go vegi

D
Old 07-29-2009, 07:42 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

I believe in a higher power for sure, but that doesn't mean I'll ever go back to AA. I'm a little confused why the non-AA threads have to be under "secular". I mean, it's possible to believe in a God but NOT want to go to AA and instead use SMART or Rational Recovery, IMHO!
Old 07-29-2009, 03:09 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Originally Posted by sobergirl77 View Post
I believe in a higher power for sure, but that doesn't mean I'll ever go back to AA. I'm a little confused why the non-AA threads have to be under "secular". I mean, it's possible to believe in a God but NOT want to go to AA and instead use SMART or Rational Recovery, IMHO!
First, just a quick reminder to all that we don't discuss twelve-step programs in this section. In the past there have been some nasty bashing threads so I like to keep all posts that mention these programs out of the Secular Recovery section.

This section is for anyone who follows a Secular Recovery method. I personally am religious but work SMART Recovery.

SC is for those who choose to work this type of recovery. It is not limited to those who are atheists or do not believe in a HP.

It only makes sense that those who are have trouble with recovery methods that are based on a HP will be drawn to secular recovery, however.

Welcome to Secular Connections here at SR and I hope to see more posts from you in the future.