SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Secular Connections (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/)
-   -   Had alcohol thrown over me last night (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/177273-had-alcohol-thrown-over-me-last-night.html)

digderidoo 05-30-2009 12:42 PM

Had alcohol thrown over me last night

Hi all,

Just wanted to post this up here as it's something that's annoyed me.

I went out last night for a friends birthday. As normal when i go out with any drinking friends i'll meet them in the nightclub, rather than a couple of hours beforehand when they get there first few drinks in.

One of the guys who goes out is an alcoholic and hasn't drank for over 20 years so i do feel comfortable if he's there, so that i'm not the only one who doesn't drink.

Anyway i popped outside of the club in the smoking area at around midnight to take a phone call. In the UK we have a smoking ban in place now, so there are designated smoking areas outside a club or pub.

Whilst i was out there a fight broke out between a couple of guys, one of them threw their drink at the other and a good portion of it went on my shoulder. The annoying thing about it was some it landed on my mouth and a couple of drops on my tongue. I could taste it and did everything i could to wipe my mouth so that i didn't swallow any.

I know that it doesn't effect my sobriety date but it is annoying. Tomorrow i will be 12 months sober and quite proud of it, but it kind of takes the gloss from it, knowing that i have tasted alcohol just two days before my first birthday.

It was nice to be able to say that i hadn't touched one drop of alcohol, but even though this was involuntary i am annoyed over it.

Thanks for reading this.

Paul

barb dwyer 05-30-2009 12:47 PM

Well, technically - you *didn't* touch alcohol - it touched you.

:wild

I saw your title thingy ... and something SORT of similar happened to me the other day and I was on my way to a meeting. The woman I live with drinks and I found a beer can while cleaning up... when I picked it up, (to throw it in the recycle bin) I learned it wasn't empty and spilled it on my clothes and arms.

I had to have a second shower.

Annoying but ... still hjere. Still sober.

And skweeky kleen.

Gypsy Feet 05-30-2009 01:29 PM

Grats on a year!! Very exciting!! Maybe it was just supposed to be a cosmic reminder of how far you've come=)

stone 05-30-2009 01:38 PM

It is pretty annoying but the "technicality" doesn't count IMO, you have a year sober and that is great! :)

Like UE said, maybe it was a cosmic reminder. :)

Ananda 05-30-2009 03:31 PM

i think it would be annoying to have had alchohol dumped on you like that regardless of wether you are in sobriety or not (hug)

It was nice to be able to say that i hadn't touched one drop of alcohol, but even though this was involuntary i am annoyed over it.
aw digger (hug)

I would feel the same way i think, but thats really just ego isn't it? Let it go and go on...

I really really wish they had web cams in meetings (off all types) so we could watch each other when we get er....things in celebration of our clean time (grin)

I'll be with you in my heart though and thats enough..thanks so much for sharing your journey with us here...some of your posts have been particualry helpful to me:bday7 early :)

Eroica 05-30-2009 03:50 PM

Congrats on one year!!!!

Dee74 05-30-2009 04:35 PM

Congrats on one year tomorrow Didge :)

Like BD said - it touched you - it was completely involuntary, completely random and completely out of your control.

We have enough responsibility keeping our own side of the street clean - that you got involuntarily involved in someone else's mess is regrettable, but not your fault.

My advice is let it go, mate - enjoy yr bday. I understand you feeling annoyed, but I don't see that it takes the gloss of your achievement at all.

Again, well done :scoregood
D

Zencat 05-30-2009 05:27 PM

http://bestsmileys.com/happy/5.gif Good going on one year digderidoo http://bestsmileys.com/waving/7.gif

Rob B 05-30-2009 05:49 PM

Don't sweat it, a year sober is a mighty fine accomplishment, this incident doesn't detract from this fact one bit.

optra 05-30-2009 06:17 PM

Way to go on one year sober, like all the others I don't think you should let this incident spoil such a great accomplishment.

gneiss 05-30-2009 06:22 PM

Ditto what everyone else said. Congrats.

digderidoo 05-30-2009 06:35 PM

Thanks guys, i guess i should let it go, move on and enjoy the fact i have one year under my belt and will take on board what you all have said ... i have one year now, we are 2 hrs into my sobriety date :ghug2

Thank you AA, SR and all you guys on this secular forum that i call home.

Paul

coffeenut 05-30-2009 09:29 PM

Ooooooooooh, I would have been so mad! Mad at the thrower, not myself, though.

A year! A whole year! That is soooo very awesome! A big congratulations!

Piglet123 05-31-2009 02:35 AM

I see it a bit differently. I think the fact that you were so upset by the incident is actually a really positive thing and very telling.

If it hadn't happened, you wouldn't have had that reinforcement of your dedication to NOT drink, if you know what I mean. :c014:

Congratulations! :a122:

Wednesday 05-31-2009 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 2244627)
I understand you feeling annoyed, but I don't see that it takes the gloss of your achievement at all.

I agree.

Congratulations on one year.:bday7

allport 05-31-2009 02:54 AM

Don't be annoyed it didn't send you screaming to the bar did it?

And nothing can take the gloss of the hard work and dedication it has taken you to reach the milestone of a year, be proud or yourself :)

:scoregood

Pixy1 05-31-2009 03:58 AM

Don't give it another thought! Waste of energy!!!

Well done you have made it to a year :snow::nyc

jamdls 05-31-2009 02:46 PM

Congratulations on one year!!!! I agree with the others that incident should not dull your accomplishment in any way and yes perhaps it was a 'reminder' of how far you have come.

digderidoo 05-31-2009 02:50 PM

Thanks guys.

The more that i think about it, i guess i feel a bit guilty about it because i actually enjoyed the taste. I can't deny that, even though i was spitting and wiping my mouth.

Paul

Charmie 05-31-2009 03:18 PM

try not to think about it anymore,,,,congratulations on 365 days!!!! woooo hooooo,,awesome achievment.:c011: