SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Secular Connections (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/)
-   -   SMART Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/176773-smart-recovery.html)

otterbearcat 05-21-2009 03:07 PM

SMART Recovery

Anyone have any opinions on this?

Im going to meeting next week for the first time.

Never been to AA and dont intend to so this seems like the best non-12 step option.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Bamboozle 05-21-2009 04:04 PM

Hello, otterbearcat. Welcome to the secular side of SR.

Alera does SMART. She'll probably come by soon and reply.

Take it easy. :wavey:

Zencat 05-21-2009 06:45 PM

http://bestsmileys.com/welcome/18.gif to Secular Connections otterbearcat. :)

I use some of the SMART Tools. I find them useful because the largest part of my addiction treatment program is CBT based and REBT fits in very nicely.

JustAYak 05-21-2009 06:59 PM

Hey Otter! Speaking from pretty much no experience from SMART (I've only been to one meeting so far), I found it very helpful.. I liked it better than the steps, I just "got it", understood what they were saying better. I think it's a pretty good alternative, although meetings are scarce it seems. There are online meetings, I have yet to sit in on one though.

Best of luck!

shockozulu 05-21-2009 07:08 PM

Hi, I do SMART Recovery. I don't do F2F as there aren't any local meetings currently. I have found it is a great way to get sober/clean. However, you do have to put the metal yourself a bit. That's actually what I like about SMART. I get out what I put in. It is this part of SMART that has helped me in many parts of my life that have nothing to do with addiction.

SMART has some great tools and you don't have to like them all equally. Some people use the CBA and don't use exchange vocabulary, for example. However even when meetings are about tools I don't get a lot from, I usually get some great ideas on how to change my thoughts and actions for the better.

SMART is based on the theories of Albert Ellis, who through his Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy started the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) movement in psychology. In fact, until his death Ellis was involved with SMART and to a lesser extent SMART-Online.

otterbearcat 05-23-2009 04:16 PM

Thanks for all the replies

Im feeling better about trying the meeting next week.

:thanks:

JenX 05-26-2009 11:20 AM

I really like SMART. I use the rational emotive behavioral therapy for alot of things in my life. Check it out for yourself. It can't hurt!

Freepath 05-27-2009 10:19 PM

Have you ever seen a homeless person who appears to be an alcoholic? And did you wonder which came first, the alcoholism or the homelessness? Most people would be tempted to drink if they had to spend the night in a sleeping bag on a freeway off ramp. Life success and mental health might be linked to the desire to abstain more than we immediately recognize.

I agree with Alera, SMART addresses things in life which have nothing to do with addiction.

Somehow, though, those things are tied to addiction.

For example, SMART has tools to address irrational thinking and manage emotions. SMART has rules for happiness, tools to make decisions, templates for making changes in your life.

As near as I can tell, AA relies on a spiritual epiphany to abstain from drinking.

Rational Recovery explains that when you promise yourself that you will never drink again, there is no guarantee that your life will get better, just that you will be sober.

These plans work for some, but they do not give you the ammunition that SMART gives you.

SMART promotes a recovery support system, but it also employs rational emotive behavioral therapy to solve problems in your life, and make your life better.

The longer I stay in SMART, the more I feel like problems regarding my mental health are being solved. I think it’s a great program.

siamcat 05-28-2009 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by Alera (Post 2235338)
In fact, until his death Ellis was involved with SMART and to a lesser extent SMART-Online.

Much lesser extent, unfortunately, ahem...

Smart is actually an outgrowth of RR, the split came over nonprofit, profit status.

Smart does really address the WHOLE issue behind recovery, the idea being that we don't have to be 'recovering' for the rest of our lives. Many people 'graduate' from Smart and, if they keep using the tools they learned, sustain sobriety and live a much healthier and happier life. Thing about the Smart tools is you can use them for anything in your life, not only your drinking, lots of people use the 'ABC' or 'CBA' worksheets for relationship problems, daily upsets, dealing with catastrophies, accidents, injuries, mental issues, they can be used for almost anything, so, it's really a complete and comprehensive system for addressing the biggest problems in our lives. But, yes, it IS work, there is no 'surrendering' to any power there except to your own will and intellect and PRACTICE. You get out of it what you put in, and that's that. Be ready though, the meetings are interactive, you actually do WORK, not just tell old war stories about drinking, you address the situation and get feedback and input. You'll walk out of there feeling like you've really accomplished something though, I guarantee it. Good luck! :)

otterbearcat 06-03-2009 08:53 PM

Have been to 2 F2F meetings

Im lucky enough to live a city with Face to Face meetings.
I went to my 2nd tonight.

The 1st meeting I was the only one there which was great since Ive got some social anxiety. I felt like I was getting a free one on one therapy session.

There was one other person today.I like the tools SMART has and have already gained some insights.

:c033:

Aysha 06-04-2009 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by siamcat (Post 2241968)
Much lesser extent, unfortunately, ahem...

Smart is actually an outgrowth of RR, the split came over nonprofit, profit status.

Smart does really address the WHOLE issue behind recovery, the idea being that we don't have to be 'recovering' for the rest of our lives. Many people 'graduate' from Smart and, if they keep using the tools they learned, sustain sobriety and live a much healthier and happier life. Thing about the Smart tools is you can use them for anything in your life, not only your drinking, lots of people use the 'ABC' or 'CBA' worksheets for relationship problems, daily upsets, dealing with catastrophies, accidents, injuries, mental issues, they can be used for almost anything, so, it's really a complete and comprehensive system for addressing the biggest problems in our lives. But, yes, it IS work, there is no 'surrendering' to any power there except to your own will and intellect and PRACTICE. You get out of it what you put in, and that's that. Be ready though, the meetings are interactive, you actually do WORK, not just tell old war stories about drinking, you address the situation and get feedback and input. You'll walk out of there feeling like you've really accomplished something though, I guarantee it. Good luck! :)

I started SMART about a yr and a half ago. I only did it for a couple months. But I really didnt get too involvd like I should have for it to work. I basiclly went to the meetings and thought that would be all I needed. Well i was wrong. I wasnt serious about my recovery back then anyway.

I recently just started it again. And this time I am reading everything I can. And I am starting from the beginning. I even went to my 1st meeting last night which happened to be an ontroduction meeting. How lucky was that?
I got alot of info and by taking the time and actually doin some research and work. I found so much much stuff for a beginner to read. To learn about it and how it works.
I quoted this post because I read that exact thing last night.
I am very interested in buying some publishcaqtions and cd's they have. And using the message boards and just doing some homework with the program this time. Instead of just meetings and thinking thats all it is. Meetings are just like support and Q and A for the actual program to me.
The real results come from reading and working all the stuff they have to offer.

the meetings are interactive, you actually do WORK, not just tell old war stories about drinking, you address the situation and get feedback and input.
This was the single most thing that really got me interested in SMART to begin with. The ,eetings are like you can converse with people and not just talk to yourself like in 12 step.
Yea..And no war stories. The program even says the past is the past. There is nothing there to help you move forward. I agree. Whats done is done.
I could go on forever how much I like this program.
I ahve never felt such an understanding with any other one I have tried. I just get this one. No confusing steps and trying to figure out what the hell your goin to have to be your HP. I am my HP. I have always believed it was my choice to go this path of addiction. I knew what I was doing everytime I used. I never once ever said or thought I did it becasue I am sick or I couldnt help it. Thats just BS to me. I take 100% full responsibility for everything that has happened in my addiciton. So I know and totally believe that the same goes for my recovery. I like the whole..You dont need to obsess about this program either. I have said that so many times. I dont want to be a slave to my recovery too.
And SMART even sayd that it doesnt have to be a life long commitment unless you want it to be.
I just love this program.I have gotten real passionate about it since I started working it again.
I havent fet this motivated and ready in a long time.
Sry for rambling.

shockozulu 06-05-2009 06:31 PM

Sadly, there were many other reasons for the breakoff between Ellis and RR. There is the separation of RR from the original message of REBT. Also, right after one of the first peer-reviewed papers on RR came out the founder of RR stopped F2F meetings, which had been found to be extremely helpful to the recovering addicts/alcoholics.

Galanter, M., Egelko, S., & Edwards, H. (1993, December). Rational Recovery:
Alternative to AA for Addiction?. American Journal of Drug & Alcohol Abuse, 19(4), 499-510.

Aysha 06-05-2009 07:24 PM

I didnt even know there was an alternative to 12 step. I wouldnt have even thought if there was. Alera turned me onto SMART back in 2007.
I was amazed how many different alternatives there are.
I was so happy.
And I am so glad there is.
It feels good to work a program that you dont have to take what you need and leave the rest.
With SMART you work only what works for you. And I just totally relate to it all. And thats what will make all the difference to me.
When I can be proud of the program I am working.

Sweets79 06-05-2009 07:29 PM

I've never heard of this before, just doing some research on it now. What the name stands for "Self Management and Recovery Training" makes alot of sense. It seems like an intellectual program that targets the real problems associated with addiction. I was reading the website and I liked the part where it mentions the four areas they teach, (maintaining motivation, coping with craving, thinking rationally, and leading a balanced lifestyle.) I like the approach. Definitely some food for thought.

Aysha 06-05-2009 08:07 PM

I found alot of useful info on the message board under the welcome to SMART online stickies and the SMART Q & A sticky. Also in the online library under resources on the tool bar I found a bunch of stuff to read and learn about how it works and what its about.
Check a meeting out. Theres one tomorrow night at 8 pm EST. Those are a real big help and you get to see how different it is compared to 12 step.
Good Luck.

siamcat 06-05-2009 08:48 PM

Perhaps someone should ask for a forum under an REBT blanket. If a lot of people are interested in this alternative there is certainly a great wealth of information and discussion that could be developed. I'll be happy to contribute.

For anyone interested in a good and simplistic source site for REBT/CBT related materials check out cbtrecovery

Overman 06-05-2009 09:53 PM

I used to go to SOS (secular organization for sobriety) meetings when I lived in LA. It was basically AA w/o the steps or reliance on HP themes. I don't know if they are still around or not.

@ ch
I knew what I was doing everytime I used. I never once ever said or thought I did it becasue I am sick or I couldnt help it. Thats just BS to me.

Exactly. One of the things that turns many away from traditional forms of treatment is the 'helpless victim' mentality that is generated and reinforced.

@ Alera

From what I understand, old man Ellis and RR was partly a political battle. The guy wanted to have more control and influence over the org, and it wanted to branch away. Seems to lend to the negative label Ellis was assigned: "cognitive fascist". LOL.

shockozulu 06-07-2009 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by Overman (Post 2251153)
I used to go to SOS (secular organization for sobriety) meetings when I lived in LA. It was basically AA w/o the steps or reliance on HP themes. I don't know if they are still around or not.

Yep, they are still around. Their link is Addiction - Non 12 Step - Support Group - Index . For those in the area, you can find info on their LA meetings etc at S.O.S. Secular Organizations for Sobriety

@ ch
I knew what I was doing everytime I used. I never once ever said or thought I did it becasue I am sick or I couldnt help it. Thats just BS to me.

Exactly. One of the things that turns many away from traditional forms of treatment is the 'helpless victim' mentality that is generated and reinforced.

For me, it was a choice UNTIL I took that first pill. Then control goes out the window. Knowing that, it is still my choice to take the first pill.

@ Alera

From what I understand, old man Ellis and RR was partly a political battle. The guy wanted to have more control and influence over the org, and it wanted to branch away. Seems to lend to the negative label Ellis was assigned: "cognitive fascist". LOL.

There were a lot of politics involved. Ellis was considered by his peers to be the second most influential psychologist by his peers. You don't get that kind of recognition by being a quiet non-political person. Add to that the whole deal with Trimpey staying for-profit and his claims that his group isn't associated with SMART (although SMART acknowledges their roots with RR). Finally on the list is the entire claim that RR has made recovery groups obsolete (while holding two day $+2,600 plus $1,000 per family member for their "Classes" and a charge for their forum) and I think we all can see the differences between the two groups and why the two men ended up head to head in court.