SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Secular Connections (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/)
-   -   A great book on healing the addicted brain (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/176551-great-book-healing-addicted-brain.html)

KariSue 05-20-2009 07:02 AM

P.S. Edited to add this P.S. I agree with you about the FDA. Did you notice that ever since they introduced the food pyramid and touted "low fat" that our nation developed an obesity epidemic? Absolutely food has to affect our bodies and does.

splendra 05-20-2009 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by KariSue (Post 2233212)
What kind of diet?

KariSue

Originally Posted by gerryP (Post 2233642)
Exactly Splendra, this is what Potatoes Not Prozac is about.

I do have a lil problem still getting along without the pie though and sugar in my tea, only one. I use raw sugar, or brown. Do you know if that's better...if I'm going to use sugar. Lesser of two evils perhaps.

I've heard that Suzanne Sommers developed an alternative to sugar to use in cakes and pies, baking etc. In fact I think she has a whole line available for purchase. I saw it on our Shopping channel (I know...I know...(blush) Does anyone know anything about her line or have tried it?

To me the Suzanne Sommers stuff has some questionable ingredients. I personally would not consider it. I hardly ever add sugar to anything I eat. I do not even buy it, some times I will take a few packs of "raw sugar" from a restaurant that serves it with coffee but, only if I am drinking coffee. Why not just eat fresh or frozen fruit juice and try coffee and teas without sugar. Really fresh coffee to me is sweet anyway. I buy grade b maple syurp because is is not refinded to use on pancakes and waffels and black strap molasses to make cookies with and for eating to keep my iron up.

If I had to choose between sugar substitiutes and white sugar I would choose white sugar although I can still taste the chemicals used to process white sugar...

I don't understand why so many people are so hung up on sugar. Make your life sweet and you won't need to add sugar to your food.

I would rather have a touch of raw sugar than a truck load of anything "substitute" for sugar. Fruits are sweet and so are many vegetables the body breaks down the sugar in these things.

My diet consist of as much pure unadulterated foods as possible. I avoid meats and animal products. I do like cheese and milk in my coffee and I buy organic with out hormones and antibiotics and I also drink filtered water. I have my own whole house water filter. I buy mineral salt instead of the regular table salt. I eat more vegies and grains than I do fruits. I avoid overly prosessed foods. I read lables and if something is in it that I do not know what it is I do not buy it until I do know what it is and know I do not mind it being in my body. I probably spend more on my food than most people do but my body and brain function is very important to me. But then I do not buy health insurance so I figure I owe it to myself to eat really well not a lot.

It is mostly common sense I only eat when hungry and when I do eat I make sure it is healthy. I don't eat whole bags of chips or cookies cause it just seems kind of gross after knowing how the stuff travels thru my system. I have heard many people complain that whole foods don't taste as good and I tell them it is because their tongues are so coated with sugar and chemicals they won't be able to taste as much until they clean up their body. After you do though you will be able to taste the chemicals in the other foods.

sfgirl 05-20-2009 04:16 PM

I've been trying to eat towards how Spendra eats. Although I definitely am not quite as "good" as her. I also don't get really hung up on organic produce because I can get selectively cheap and sometimes feel outraged over the price difference between the two when I don't actually know what organic really means. However, I have been trying to eat more "whole" foods. I do feel a lot better. A whole lot better. I think if you are able to do it, it can create so many benefits. If I were able to be as organized as Splendra about it I am sure I would feel amazing. I find myself getting into the groove but then falling out of it. Like right now I have upped my exercise and am a lot more hungry and my period is coming and so am craving all sorts of bad things so while I am still generally not eating processed food, I am having some bad carbs and a few, sometimes quite a few sweets, and then I find it hard to get back in the good swing of things. But once I am in, it seems easy and I can really feel when I put something bad into my body.

windysan 05-20-2009 06:03 PM

As a Louisianian I excuse myself from this conversation.

thank you

carrion with the tofu talk

splendra 05-20-2009 07:30 PM

Hey I don't eat tofu...

Freepath 05-20-2009 07:31 PM

Those sick buggers at the airport wanted to search my carrion.

My dear old uncle used to eat dog food.
He’s dead now, though.
It wasn’t the dog food.
He was sitting on the curb licking his n:18:ts when a truck backed over him.

gerryP 05-20-2009 08:40 PM

WEEEEZEEANNA! Love your one liners BTW Windy.

Tofu...I love Tofu. Why not Splendra? You don't like it, or you're going to tell me something about it. I had curried Tofu tonight. It was delicious. Of course it was done with coconut milk, (sigh) What can I tell ya....

splendra 05-21-2009 03:03 AM

So much of the soy products are genetically modified plus they say there is a link between breast cancer and soy probably because of being GM. I try to avoid all genetically modified foods. The list of GM foods are growing very fast and my food sources are getting smaller by the day. Thank God I can still grow my own food. It is getting harder to find seeds that aren't GM seeds and the only way you can be sure is if they are guaranteed not to be. For some reason foods that are GM are not required to be labeled as such. A plant that is grown from GM seed is sterile and cannot reproduce itself this is the one sure fire way to know you have GM seeds.

This is another thing about what the FDA and Monsanto is their stuff comes under almost no scrutiny and even if they do find something wrong they go ahead and approve it anyway. This is the case with aspartame many test showed that the stuff is harmful yet they allow it to be put in all kinds of foods. Foods with it in it used to have to have the "nutri-sweet" symbol on the package but not anymore. I have gone to the hospital several times because of not knowing that I was eating something with it in it I can't even touch it with out having a very serious heart related incident. I tried to find a breath mint or a pack of gum not long ago that did not have it in it and could not find any. I'll just keep a sprig of mint in my purse from now on.

If the FDA/Monsanto finds that an herb does something that cures an illness it gets banned. They are not our friends folks. They are working to take our choices away.

gerryP 05-21-2009 08:18 AM

WOW, what an education. Thanks Splendra.

I would love to be able to grow my own vegetables. I have a friend who has a summer place a few hours from the city and grows everything. The taste! the lettuce, the potatoes... everything. Makes me realize what it's *supposed* to taste like.

sfgirl 05-21-2009 07:13 PM

Michael Pollan was on my local NPR's show Forum recently. I caught part of the interview. I tend to be naive about food politics. But it seemed really interesting. He was mentioning some stuff about Monsanto and the FDA and to be 100% honest I hadn't even heard about Monsanto until that day....so shows what I know. You can download the show here:

Michael Pollan: Forum | KQED Public Media for Northern CA

It talks a lot about how you can manage to eat and shop for food better.

shockozulu 05-21-2009 09:47 PM

Don't get me going on Monsanto. I first knew of them as a very small child as they sponsored two of my favorite Disneyland attractions. However what they do with the genetically modified corn and the lawsuits etc just makes me so angry!

splendra 05-24-2009 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Alera
Don't get me going on Monsanto.

I would love to read a rant of your's regarding Monsanto!!!